Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

World University Games 2009 (Belgrade, 7th-12th of July)

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• World University Games 2009 (Belgrade, 7th-12th of July)

Think this championship has flown under the radar thus far, but may throw up a few good results prior to Berlin.

Results: http://results.ub2009.org/results/ENG/Z ... XXXENG.htm

Today is only the second day of competition so only a couple of finals have been decided.

The major highlight so far was South African Viljoen Sunnette throwing 65.43m in the javelin heats, adding a couple of meters to her previous PB.

No big name casualties so far, with Nelson Evora sailing into the TJ final, while world Champion Betty Heidler, Olympic finalist Martina Hrasnova, top Belarussian Smaliachkova, Silvia Salis of Italy, 2007 World 6th placer Eileen O' Keefe, Kathrin Klaas and the Moldovan Marghiev sisters qualifying for a competitive Hammer final.

No British team due to conflicts with other championships and the usual scant entry from the U.S after a long NCAA season.

Note that Graduate students are eligible for this meet although there may be an upper age limit (25 or 30?).

USATF, not the NCAA would send the USA team here and has not sent more than a token team in recent years for budgetary and other reasons.

Comment

Super performance from Bakulin to win the 20km walk in 1.20 :shock:

Vania Stambolova almost back to her best in the 400m hurdles 55.14 to win.

Did Stambolova actually have to return her European Gold, or was she caught too long after that "victory"?

Michael Bultheel from Belgium ran 49.7 for the 400m hurdles in the heats. I find this interesting in terms of finding that much needed 4th guy for their relay.

Comment

Originally posted by Halfmiler2
        USATF, not the NCAA would send the USA team here and has not sent more than a token team in recent years for budgetary and other reasons.
        Curious, what is the pecking order so to speak for USATF? I know the Goodwill isn't around anymore, but the PanAm and a few other sundry competitions are.

Comment

Originally posted by 3a
          Michael Bultheel from Belgium ran 49.7 for the 400m hurdles in the heats. I find this interesting in terms of finding that much needed 4th guy for their relay.
          It doesn't suggest sub-46 flat speed to me. In fact, he set a 400 PB just a few days ago and it's 47.51.
          Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

After 3 rounds of the TJ final, Evora is second behind Hector Fuentes, 17.09 vs 17.13.

Comment

Evora came through in the end, with 17.14 in the fifth round and 17.22 in the sixth.

Sunette Viljoen didn't come close to her result from qualifying, but she won with 62.52, ahead of world junior record holder Vira Rebryk 61.02.

Comment

Originally posted by 3a
                Unfortunately this rotten cheat pushed back our cute Jonna Tilgner to silver.
                There's also a change in our PV team for Berlin because Scherbarth broke his foot today in the PV.

Comment

Shame that the injury-prone Chris Troode didn't start in the 400 final. Hope it isn't anything too serious - but not putting any money on it.

Comment

2009 Summer Universiade (World University Games)

". . . there may be an upper age limit (25 or 30?)"

For most WUG sports the upper age limit is stated as "less than 28 on January 1" of the WUG year -- but basketball limit is age 25.

"USATF, not the NCAA would send the USA team ..."

Seems correct because USA Swimming sent 37 aquatic entrants (26 swimming, 11 diving).to Belgrade. Also, USA Basketball sent the U.S. players for that sport. USA actually has a large team there -- except in track and field athletics for which Russia leads with 69.

". . . usual scant entry from the U.S after a long NCAA season."

"Scant" sounds appropriate for USA athletics entrants in 2009 WUG: one male and one female. Each competes in shot and discus.

Closing notes:
                    1. This is the 50th anniversary year for Universiade.

2. USA collegians who are citizens of other nations could be sent by their home federation to WUG. Example: BYU steeplechaser Angela Wagner is a citizen of South Africa -- one of 34 athletes representing RSA this week at Belgrade. Last night she ran and advanced to the final on Friday, July 10.

3. Some action is shown via http://www.fisu.tv/su3/bel.html

Comment

Heidler wins HT with 75.83m. I can already see the fear in Wlodarczyk's eyes 8-)

Comment

Originally posted by Sinafan
                        I can already see the fear in Wlodarczyk's eyes 8-)
                        WÅ‚odarczyk has still got two throws above her SB this year . But you're right - Heidler is progressing well as the season goes on.

Comment

Originally posted by Powell
                          Originally posted by 3a
                          It doesn't suggest sub-46 flat speed to me. In fact, he set a 400 PB just a few days ago and it's 47.51.
                          I don't know many 400h guys with sub 46 pbs. However, I know a whole host of 400h guys who have run sub 46/45 in relay splits. He's an option, that is all

Comment

I know US athletes who wanted to compete at this meet in the past, and USATF wouldn't even let them go if they paid their own way.

Comment

Originally posted by Sinafan
                              Originally posted by 3a
                              Unfortunately this rotten cheat pushed back our cute Jonna Tilgner to silver.
                              There's also a change in our PV team for Berlin because Scherbarth broke his foot today in the PV.
                              How did he break it? I saw he made the height in the qualifying round. My husband looked at some of the German articles, but they didn't seem to say.

Comment

Working...
                              X