Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

World University Games 2009 (Belgrade, 7th-12th of July)

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Halfmiler2
    replied
    A few items to note:

1. Some of the less prestigious USA teams have their expenses subsidized by the meet organizers, but I believe this is not the case with the WUG.

2. Primo Niebolo used to be the head of WUG as well as the IAAF, so back in the 1980's and 1990's, there was an additional political reason for attending the WUG. The USA had a full team when the WUG was in Buffalo in 1993 the last time it was in the USA.

3. There are several reasons to give the Pan-Am priority over WUG: (1) It is generally closer to home and potentially less expensive; (2) I believe the Pan-Ams are still listed in the Amateur Sports Act as a priority; (3) It strengthens the USA relationship with our neighbors who are allies in the IAAF; (4) there is a longer USA history of involvement in the Pan-Am.

4. Perhaps, some of the funds announced in the new USATF-Nike deal to help post-collegians will allow attendance at future WUG's.

Leave a comment:

• polevaultpower
    replied
    Originally posted by pela2
    Originally posted by polevaultpower
    Originally posted by Sinafan
    Originally posted by 3a
    Vania Stambolova almost back to her best in the 400m hurdles 55.14 to win.
    Unfortunately this rotten cheat pushed back our cute Jonna Tilgner to silver.
    There's also a change in our PV team for Berlin because Scherbarth broke his foot today in the PV.
    How did he break it? I saw he made the height in the qualifying round. My husband looked at some of the German articles, but they didn't seem to say.
    Maybe you can get some out of this article (in german)

http://www.ahlener-zeitung.de/sport/spo ... WMaus.html
    I guess he was just running down the runway and it broke somehow.

Leave a comment:

• pela2
    replied
    Originally posted by polevaultpower
    Originally posted by 3a
    There's also a change in our PV team for Berlin because Scherbarth broke his foot today in the PV.
    How did he break it? I saw he made the height in the qualifying round. My husband looked at some of the German articles, but they didn't seem to say.
    Maybe you can get some out of this article (in german)

http://www.ahlener-zeitung.de/sport/spo ... WMaus.html

Leave a comment:

• polevaultpower
    replied
    Originally posted by cacique
    i wonder how seriously do they enforce or check the status/eligibility of these athletes? i mean, is someone who's taking just one class at a college -- is that enought? even if it 's a bogus class, like basic health literacy, or one of those bogus courses they give to football players at american universities (like basketweaving)?
    I think it's fairly lax, certainly much more lax than NCAA requirements. If the US sent a team, all kind of athletes who are done with NCAA eligibility would be eligible, like athletes who are in school but went pro, athletes whose clock ran out but are in grad school/med school/whatever, athletes who are not academically eligible, etc!

I think it's very unfortunate that USATF does not send a team to this meet, considering some of the other meets we have sent "teams" to like the Decanation meet. WUG would be a great international competitive opportunity for a lot of our emerging elite athletes who may not have the means to pay their own way to Europe.

Leave a comment:

• cacique
    replied
    i wonder how seriously do they enforce or check the status/eligibility of these athletes? i mean, is someone who's taking just one class at a college -- is that enought? even if it 's a bogus class, like basic health literacy, or one of those bogus courses they give to football players at american universities (like basketweaving)?

Leave a comment:

• polevaultpower
    replied
    Originally posted by 3a

Leave a comment:

• polevaultpower
    replied
    I know US athletes who wanted to compete at this meet in the past, and USATF wouldn't even let them go if they paid their own way.

Leave a comment:

• 3a
    replied
    Originally posted by Powell
    Originally posted by 3a
    Michael Bultheel from Belgium ran 49.7 for the 400m hurdles in the heats. I find this interesting in terms of finding that much needed 4th guy for their relay.
    It doesn't suggest sub-46 flat speed to me. In fact, he set a 400 PB just a few days ago and it's 47.51.
    I don't know many 400h guys with sub 46 pbs. However, I know a whole host of 400h guys who have run sub 46/45 in relay splits. He's an option, that is all

Leave a comment:

• Powell
    replied
    I can already see the fear in Wlodarczyk's eyes 8-)
    WÅ‚odarczyk has still got two throws above her SB this year . But you're right - Heidler is progressing well as the season goes on.

Leave a comment:

• Sinafan
    replied
    Heidler wins HT with 75.83m. I can already see the fear in Wlodarczyk's eyes 8-)

Leave a comment:

• James Fields
    replied
    2009 Summer Universiade (World University Games)

". . . there may be an upper age limit (25 or 30?)"

For most WUG sports the upper age limit is stated as "less than 28 on January 1" of the WUG year -- but basketball limit is age 25.

"USATF, not the NCAA would send the USA team ..."

Seems correct because USA Swimming sent 37 aquatic entrants (26 swimming, 11 diving).to Belgrade. Also, USA Basketball sent the U.S. players for that sport. USA actually has a large team there -- except in track and field athletics for which Russia leads with 69.

". . . usual scant entry from the U.S after a long NCAA season."

"Scant" sounds appropriate for USA athletics entrants in 2009 WUG: one male and one female. Each competes in shot and discus.

Closing notes:
    1. This is the 50th anniversary year for Universiade.

2. USA collegians who are citizens of other nations could be sent by their home federation to WUG. Example: BYU steeplechaser Angela Wagner is a citizen of South Africa -- one of 34 athletes representing RSA this week at Belgrade. Last night she ran and advanced to the final on Friday, July 10.

3. Some action is shown via http://www.fisu.tv/su3/bel.html

Leave a comment:

• Vault-emort
    replied
    Shame that the injury-prone Chris Troode didn't start in the 400 final. Hope it isn't anything too serious - but not putting any money on it.

Leave a comment:

• Sinafan
    replied
    Originally posted by 3a

Leave a comment:

• Powell
    replied
    Evora came through in the end, with 17.14 in the fifth round and 17.22 in the sixth.

Sunette Viljoen didn't come close to her result from qualifying, but she won with 62.52, ahead of world junior record holder Vira Rebryk 61.02.

Leave a comment:

• Powell
    replied
    After 3 rounds of the TJ final, Evora is second behind Hector Fuentes, 17.09 vs 17.13.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X