• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IFK_Vaxjo
    replied
    :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

I've never seen anything like it!
    Johan Rogestedt swedish 16 year old wins the 800m! PB was about 1,5 seconds worse than 7th guy!

A tactical triumph in a race were everybody rushed first 200m Johan had even pace to 54,5 at 400m and was 4th coming into the homestraight and then outran both of the kenyans!!

2 golds 1 silver and 1 bronze...this was really what swedish t&f needed!!

Leave a comment:

• az2004
    replied
    after having lived thru william reed, there's no guarantee any 16 year old becomes a stud...

of course, we have usain bolt to counter that....

Leave a comment:

• dupontred
    replied
    Dakota - I don't think so. James ran 45.15 the final after jogging through early rounds of 48.25 and 46.43. He's gonna have to run much faster than that in the quarters and semis and I don't know if three hard 400s (as opposed to two jogs and a final) will be possible for him. I think he can make the top 16 though.

Leave a comment:

• Barto
    replied
    Originally posted by Powell
    There is an Andreas Duplantis competing for Sweden in the PV. It may be a long shot, but... any relation to Greg?
    I found the answer myself. The thing that got me wondering was the national allegiance, but it turns out Mrs. Duplantis is a Swede, so I guess the kids have dual citizenship.
    Andreas out in q round with a 4.70m performance. It took 4.80m to make the final. Still not bad for a 16 yr old in his first international comp.

Leave a comment:

• dakota
    replied
    James has two more years as a junior. He'll be 19 in London 2012 but turns 20 that September.

Bolt ran 20.13 / 45.35 during his equivalent season.

Merritt ran 21.33 / 47.90 progressing to 20.72 / 45.25 next year and 20.38 / 44.66 his final year as a junior and 20.10 / 44.14 his first year as a senior before eventually sub 20 and sub 44 age 20/21.

Thinking of recent Olympic Champions:

1988 Steve Lewis 43.87 age 19
    1992 Qunicy Watts 43.50 age 22
    1996 Michael Johnson 43.49 age 28
    2000 Michael Johnson 43.84 age 33
    2004 Jeremy Wariner 44.00 age 20
    2008 LaShawn Merritt 43.75 age 22

2016 is a long way away for somebody who holds the world age bests for a 14 and 15 year old.

Wariner ran 45.13 at 19 and dropped to 44.00 to win gold the next year.
    Lewis ran 45.68 in March at 18 and dropped to 43.87 the same season.

But:

Obea Moore ran 45.14 at 16 and that was it.
    Darrell Robinson ran 44.69 AJR at 19 and only ever improved to 44.45.

I already asked this on another board but will float the idea here too: Is it within the realms of possibility for Kirani James to make the final in Berlin?

Leave a comment:

• pachip
    replied
    If Alleyne Francique doesn't retire last year because injuries, Grenada could have a competitive 4x400 relay. At least to make finals in London 2012.

Leave a comment:

• gabyandersen
    replied
    Stream
    http://www.justin.tv/tvseba7

Leave a comment:

• croflash
    replied
    In the midst of the James hype (deservingly so), let's not forget that the 46.22 Mance run is pretty darn good too.

Leave a comment:

• Marlow
    replied
    I wish they weren't hurdling the 36s but this win is still quality

110m Hurdles (91.4cm) - M Wind: 0.6 m/s
    1 Dale Morgan USA 13.28 0.167

Leave a comment:

• Marlow
    replied
    Originally posted by Mikewats
    from the pics he seems quite twiggy which is a good sign
    It is? :shock:

Leave a comment:

• Mikewats
    replied
    Originally posted by Marlow
    Originally posted by Jon
    Originally posted by The Captain
    Indeed.
    Kirani James 45.24!!!!
    Fourth on the world all-time youth list, and the best youth performance in 14 years.
    Actually fifth, according to IAAF's lists, but just 0.1 off Obea Moore's WYR. Is James intending to compete in Berlin?
    And he's

:shock:
    Hes pretty much the same age as Bolt when he did the world youths. Bolt ran 20.1ish and 45.3 in the 400 semi's or heat. So a good 200 from and he's Bolt-esque. I think he will go sub 45 if he goes Berlin. I also think he will stick with the 200 n 400 being better at the 400 rather than the 200 like Bolt was. Scary.

How tall is he??? from the pics he seems quite twiggy which is a good sign

Leave a comment:

• Powell
    replied
    There is an Andreas Duplantis competing for Sweden in the PV. It may be a long shot, but... any relation to Greg?
    I found the answer myself. The thing that got me wondering was the national allegiance, but it turns out Mrs. Duplantis is a Swede, so I guess the kids have dual citizenship.

Leave a comment:

• Marlow
    replied
    Originally posted by Jon
    Indeed.
    Kirani James 45.24!!!!
    Fourth on the world all-time youth list, and the best youth performance in 14 years.
    Actually fifth, according to IAAF's lists, but just 0.1 off Obea Moore's WYR. Is James intending to compete in Berlin?
    And he's

:shock:

Leave a comment:

• Mikewats
    replied
    Originally posted by Jon
    Originally posted by Mikewats
    Wake as got a horrific heat for the 400 semi's, he will probably run a PB now and run slower in the final and cost him a medal.
    Spot-on with your prediction. Great 46.86 PB in semis, 47.20 in final to finish fourth, just 0.05 away from a medal. :?
    I kind of didn't want to be correct with my prediction, i could just see it happening due to it happens a lot in the 400.

Lets see what Kiriani James has got in the 200, maybe the American can push him to a quick time or at least give him a race. If he goes below 20.6 this Kiriani James is an extreme talent, which he clearly is anyways, but you only get American 400 runners even close to 20secs and he looks on track to be getting there while he's a junior, if he runs a quick 200. Leg speed is still the most impressive thing as youth and juniors.

Leave a comment:

• Powell
    replied
    Originally posted by Jon
    Indeed.
    Kirani James 45.24!!!!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X