Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '09 World Youth Champs Girls

and a separate thread for girls events

One major upset today: Kimberly Jess, the reigning world junior champion, did not make the HJ final. Something appears to be wrong with her - she jumped 1.90 last year and 1.91 indoors, but has a SB of just 1.80 outdoors so far. She looked like such a monumental talent, and seemed really nice, too (I talked to her in Bydgoszcz last year) - it would be a huge shame to see it going to waste...
    Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

She got injured during a competition in May and lost several weeks. She knew, that she wouldn't have a chance to win a medal because of this, and said, that her aim was, to make the final.

Comment

Since the old thread got locked without copying the posts into the new one, I'm copying my earlier comments.

Originally posted by LopenUupunut
        Other qualifiers [in girls' HT] included one Alexia Sedykh...
        Given that she's the daughter of TWO current world current holders, she's not (yet?) as good as might be expected.

I'm watching the competition on RAI right now and I saw that Lena Urbaniak, who won gold in the SP, is a spinner. That's pretty unusual for a girl.
        Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

The nordic hurdle girls keeps up the good work. Both finnish girls came trough to the final with Neziri big Q 13,53 and Lotta Harala who despite a pb of almost 3/10 and 13,46 only got a small q today. Great standard.
          The gold seems to be the norwegian Pedersens to loose with yet another WYL in the semis of 13,20!

Comment

Originally posted by IFK_Vaxjo
            The gold seems to be the norwegian Pedersens to loose with yet another WYL in the semis of 13,20!
            The third fastest of all time by a youth athlete behind Adrianna Lamalle (13.08) and Sally McLellan (13.14). The WYR could be well within Pedersen's reach.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon
              The third fastest of all time by a youth athlete behind Adrianna Lamalle (13.08) and Sally McLellan (13.14). The WYR could be well within Pedersen's reach.
              Wow that good! She continues the great hurdling tradition of Sweden and Norway during the last couple of junior champs. Sanna and Jenny Kallur has medals along with Christina Vukicevic in the WJC.

Comment

WYL for Jodie Williams in semi 1 - 11.40! (wind 0.4).

Comment

Sorry for a question that "I should know" But what age qualifies these kids as "Youth"?

Comment

Originally posted by BCBaroo
                    Sorry for a question that "I should know" But what age qualifies these kids as "Youth"?
                    Born in 1992 or 1993 for this meet

Comment

1992 and before but you can't be 15yrs old this year(well have your 15th b'day) hence why a young jamaican couldn't go in the 100 who is freakishly fast for his age.

Jodie Williams time is amazing, hopefully go quicker in the final and she's still got her streak going on of never losing a race.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon
                        I had no idea Lamalle was that good as a youth. Shame she never really brokethrough.

Comment

Originally posted by 3a
                          Originally posted by Jon
                          I had no idea Lamalle was that good as a youth. Shame she never really brokethrough.
                          At the 1999 World Youth Champs, she also won bronze in the 100m flat, just behind VCB!
                          http://twitter.com/Trackside2011

Comment

I always find it interesting to see which athletes transition from Youth and Juniors into Senior ranks, particularly the girls as you tend to get some early developers who are basically the same size as open women.

What made McLellan make it through while Lamelle never really featured as a senior athlete in the same way? I am aware that Sally didn't really start a formal weights programme until she was 19 or 20, having used pool workouts and body weight stuff to develop strength.

What's good about Jodie is that she looks 15, though technically she is very sound for someone so young. Here's hoping that strong technical base ensures she minimises the risk of injury in the future. Too often you see early developed junior athletes muscle their way through events without the proper technique and then being injured and out of the sport when they are seniors - Anneisha Mclaughlin and Ebony Collins this year have bucked that trend, returning to the times they ran as juniors.

Comment

I know they are only 2-inch hurdles (ok, so they are 30"), but still some impressive times in the 100H final:

1 5 385 Isabelle Pedersen NOR 13.23 . 0.174
                              2 8 546 Kori Carter USA 13.26 (PB) 0.199
                              3 6 560 Bridgette Owens USA 13.39 (PB) 0.175
                              4 2 167 Lotta Harala FIN 13.41 (PB) 0.169
                              5 7 173 Nooralotta Neziri FIN 13.44 (PB) 0.194
                              6 4 439 Ekaterina Bleskina RUS 13.47 (PB) 0.185
                              7 1 286 Samantha Elliott JAM 13.54 . 0.139
                              8 3 99 Yarong Zheng CHN 13.64 . 0.200

Comment

Working...
                              X