X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by The Atheist
    Originally posted by EZSum
    Blake 9.96!

That's why we made a big deal about the reaction time because we knew this could be in the pipeline.

Best ever 100m run by a teenager. Kudos Yohan!
    Can't say I didn't see this one coming.

Said he looked capable of 9.95 based on what he did in the heat.

Then he runs 9.96 in the final.

Great meet for both him and Tyson. Both ran personal best converted-times.
    And best of all is that Blake's RT was .22 in that 9.96, so if he drops his RT down to like 0.15 which is the type of RT that most sprinters have normally, he is capable of running in the high 9.8's already just from doing that! A 19 year olds in the 9.8's, now that would be pretty intense!!!

Comment

• Gay's 9,77 knocked Greene (9,85) and Powell (9,85) from the Olympic Stadium record books as co-holders of the stadium records in the m-100m.

Comment

• Since we're now talking basic conversions, I think some perspective needs to added. Leading up to Beijing last year, Bolt had no basic sub-9.8 times. In fact, there were none at all. Yes, Bolt had the WR at 9.72s, but this had a hefty wind behind it. His foray into the basic sub-9.8 region didn't begin until Beijing and after, and even then he still only has two basic sub-9.8s (9.69,0.0 and 9.77,-1.3).

At this point last year, Bolt's fastest basic time was 9.85(-0.1) = 9.84s. He's essentially at the same level this year. Gay's run today gives him the fastest 100m mark (basic and actual), and he is ahead of Bolt's progression from last year.

Until we get a good glimpse of what Bolt is capable of in the 100m this year, Gay cannot be discounted as a potential gold medalist. Of course, Bolt's 19.59s is a good indicator that he's on pace for something big, and he'll no doubt respond to today's events at his next meet.

I think it will take sub-9.7 to win in Berlin, and there are two people capable of that.

Comment

• Originally posted by justblaze1011
          Originally posted by rudeboy
          If Blake is running 9.96 with a crappy reaction time, what shape is Bolt in right now? Glen Mills has 3 guys running below 10 seconds at the same time. I guess he is proving that he is the best sprint coach right now.
          He knows how to coach already made talent. These guys were phenoms way before he got them, its not like he took a bunch of 10.7 sprinters and turned them into 9.9 - 9.6 runners. never the less, he's doing a great job.
          Actually he has done that. He did coach Ray Stewart from scratch and got him to a Olympic Final as a schoolboy.

Comment

• Great races by this field, though Bailey didn't match his prelim race today.

Its a good thing Tyson hasn't conceded those races in Berlin to Bolt as of yet, cuz he has been putting on a show.

Much respect goes to Gay as folks continue to place every reason for him to be no chance at even a silver medal, let alone winning.

At least he hasn't given up, and that's the most important thing!

Comment

• [quote=The Atheist]
              Originally posted by "The Atheist":2n742wf0
              Originally posted by EZSum
              Blake 9.96!

That's why we made a big deal about the reaction time because we knew this could be in the pipeline.

Best ever 100m run by a teenager. Kudos Yohan!
              Can't say I didn't see this one coming.

Said he looked capable of 9.95 based on what he did in the heat.

Then he runs 9.96 in the final.

Great meet for both him and Tyson. Both ran personal best converted-times.
              And best of all is that Blake's RT was .22 in that 9.96, so if he drops his RT down to like 0.15 which is the type of RT that most sprinters have normally, he is capable of running in the high 9.8's already just from doing that! A 19 year olds in the 9.8's, now that would be pretty intense!!![/quote:2n742wf0]

You are so right!! You did see him going 9.95 area. I am really impress with him...he really came through in this race!! This will be hugh achievement for him..the most eye pleasing thing was seeing how he came from way back to past some solid guys!! The way he did it, to me is more impressing.

Comment

• Originally posted by az2004
                gay with a very average start looked very strong at 100...

bolt is fne when no one pushes him...

but when some ones with him, who knows...

gay whupped him before, bolt has all the presuure, he's the favorite...

might well just ne more WR s or great races minimally...
                Maybe i am misinterpreting this but are you saying Bolt has never been under pressure before? Championship race or not... Gay "pressured" Bolt last year in New York... Berlin will be madness

Btw Powell still does not look good I'm not saying this because he lost to Gay, but his start is still "crappy" and he's doing everything with his right side...

Comment

• Originally posted by 26mi235
                  Originally posted by frontrunner
                  Tyson comes to race, and Bolt better not skylark.

One love.
                  This is true; Gay really is a great racer. So far Bolt has won big but we have not seen him in a dogfight. AP won big as well but not in close ones in big races.
                  Actually the first meeting I witnessed between these two was a dog fight. Jamaica International Invitational '06 over 200m. Bolt prevailed by an eyelash coming from behind with a stirring finish. The battle at Worlds shaping up to be something similar over 200m. I actually believe Bolt will handle him fairly comfortably over 100m

Comment

• Originally posted by EZSum
                    Originally posted by jamaicantrackfan
                    A London clash is expected. Maybe just working out the financial details.

I expect Bolt to rein supreme however. No doubt in my mind.
                    Bolt's been pretty slowly away in his 100m races this season. I don't think you can do that against a guy who's run an almost windless 9.77. I'm even more convinced now that Bolt's greater vulnerability is in the shorter sprint.
                    Of course! There is a guy .03 behind him! Why would this ever be in doubt?

As for the Jamaicans suggesting sub 37, you will need it :lol: . But in all seriousness, I hate to make a prediction for a race I am this excited for (being the 4x1), but I am tentatively going with Jamaica at this point.

People are acting like Asafa allowed Gay to win, or that he can simply turn a switch and run a 9.7x. Gay beat him. Gay was in his vision, which is why Powell lost.
                    This is simply untrue. Asafa is steadily improving from his ankle injury, I mean the progression is pretty obvious. His technique right now is inferior to what he can accomplish, that is also obvious. Yes, today, in Rome, Tyson was the better man. But that doesn't mean we can start throwing around stuff like "Gay was in his vision, which is why Powell lost".

Comment

• Full results?

Comment

Originally posted by Sportsfanx1
                        I know can ASAFA clear his head and come thru in the FINAL and run hard right to the end, because the speed is there. A silver will be great for him in this World Championships. Winning a Silver medal behind Bolt and beating a healthy Gay, will go a long way getting that monkey off is back!!
                        Typical and complete utter disrespect towards a great athlete.

I don't think it's a disrespect. I just think that Bolt is just that good and people are just trying talk up their favorite athlete to get on your nerve especially because you are such a backer of Gay. Don't take it that personal, man.

One Love!
                        One Love!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Sportsfanx1
                          I know can ASAFA clear his head and come thru in the FINAL and run hard right to the end, because the speed is there. A silver will be great for him in this World Championships. Winning a Silver medal behind Bolt and beating a healthy Gay, will go a long way getting that monkey off is back!!
                          Typical and complete utter disrespect towards a great athlete.
                          What's wrong with thinking ASAFA can clear his head and finish ahead of GAY ??? How is that disrespectful? Asafa Powell ran 9.77 numerous a time, but haven't produce close to those times in Major Championships!! If he go to Berlin mentally prepare than anything else, he can finish behind BOLT!!

Comment

• Now this in my eyes is Tyson's official 9.77! That ish last year still seems fugayzi to me. Good Job Tyson.
                            Afrikan

Comment

• Originally posted by Sportsfanx1
                              If he go to Berlin mentally prepare than anything else, he can finish behind BOLT!!
                              Where else will he finish - ahead of him?

Comment

• Originally posted by az2004
                                gay with a very average start looked very strong at 100...

bolt is fne when no one pushes him...

but when some ones with him, who knows...

gay whupped him before, bolt has all the presuure, he's the favorite...

might well just ne more WR s or great races minimally...
                                huh lol Brussels last year bolt came from a real bad start to win 9.77 and beat Powell 9.83, and his 9.72 and the Olympics, so he deals with te pressure just fine

Comment

Working...
                                X