'09 Rome w800 [Maggie Vessey, USA, 2:00.13]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '09 Rome w800 [Maggie Vessey, USA, 2:00.13]

I wasn't able to watch the race, but judging by the results it was a close and exciting finish. For anyone who saw the race, did Vessey run her usual come-from-WAY-behind tacticts or try something new? Does this win make it any more likely that she could make the WC team?

Did come from pretty well back - just passed at the line, possibly only because of a slight let up in the final couple of meters by the runner-up.
    Hazel Clark actually led going into the final turn. A very tightly bunched field with 120 to go. Vessey benefited from staying inside.

Comment

Vessey would need the A (2:00.00) to have any chance of making the team.

Comment

Vessey ran as usual. She has to lose 5m just by running so far out in the last bend. Unlike USATF she was close to the back of the pack. 28.4 last 200.

Comment

I guess the organizers were desperate for an Italian victory - the field was ridiculously weak compared to all other events. It was close, but didn't quite work out...
          Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

With the current standard of 800m running, it's a shame Mutola didn't stick around for another year because she could have won another major medal :shock:

Although maybe everyone will come to form in Berlin, rather like what happened in Osaka...
            http://twitter.com/Trackside2011

Comment

Results

Rank Athlete Nation Result
              1 VESSEY, Maggie USA PB 2:00.13
              2 CUSMA PICCIONE, Elisa ITA 2:00.14
              3 MARTINEZ, Mayte ESP SB 2:00.21
              4 KOSTETSKAYA, Ekaterina RUS 2:00.53
              5 ROSTKOWSKA, Anna POL SB 2:00.57
              6 JEPKOSGEI, Janeth KEN SB 2:01.39
              7 CLARK, Hazel USA 2:01.41
              8 REINA, Daniela ITA 2:02.59
              9 HAK, Ivonne NED 2:02.82
              TSYGANOVA, Natalya RUS DNF

Comment

It's true the overall standard is poor, but apart from Cusma, only one of the season's 10 fastest women competed in Rome.

Comment

Question: Why would Phoebe Wright go to the meet in Belgium, where she is the fastest qualifier, instead of this Rome meet? Hazel Clark, who I assume trains with Phoebe, under the same coach, is in Rome. Why would Phoebe not be there, too? Is it because Wright is an amateur?

Comment

Wright has never run below 2:01, so I doubt she'd have been able to get into the Rome race.

Comment

I am chuckling to think that in 1984 (OMG 25 years ago!!!) I had a PR of 1:59.34 and couldn't get into the "A" heat in Rome. Won the "B" race in 1:59.

Comment

I always enjoyed your front running style Wysocki, it would do a little good for the US middle distance crew to start challenging themselves and work to compete near the top. From this race it looks like Massey probably could have done so, I am sure she ran from the back as in her previous races, and came on like "hell on wheels" to close the gap and win.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruth Wysocki
                          I am chuckling to think that in 1984 (OMG 25 years ago!!!) I had a PR of 1:59.34 and couldn't get into the "A" heat in Rome. Won the "B" race in 1:59.
                          I feel for you. It's been pathetic that 1.58-1.59 makes it into (and places in) nearly every single GL and/or top meeting these days. The champs are a different story, but the build-up (where a lot of of the points are collected) stinks.

Comment

I only saw you run (live in person) in Indy OT's, but boy, was it pleasure. Thank you .
                            "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
                            by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

It would be interesting to see how many of those in the A heat were Soviet "women."
                              I can only assume that as testing for steroids became more effective and prevalent, some depth was lost in certain events.

Comment

Working...
                              X