X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 26mi235
    replied
    Originally posted by lonewolf
    Ok, simple enough but that is pretty labor intensive. I guess it is fortunate we did not have to contend with 1500 split timing sixty years ago when we only had one coach and no trainers for a fifty man track team.
    And they give the HS guys a hard time because they completely eliminate this problem by running the 1600 instead of the 1500. Tell me which group is 'smarter' in this regard?

Leave a comment:

• Taliban
    replied
    Originally posted by EPelle
    Originally posted by Taliban
    US Distance runners are non existent overseas. When they attend Grand Prix or Golden League meets they run timidly and shy from the pace.
    You've officially mixed up distance runners with the actual topic of 1.500m runners. Last I recall watching, Tegenkamp and Solinsky were toughing it out near the front in big Euro meets the past couple of years (specifically at 3.000m).
    Talking about this season.

Leave a comment:

• Dave
    replied
    Originally posted by lonewolf
    Ok, simple enough but that is pretty labor intensive. I guess it is fortunate we did not have to contend with 1500 split timing sixty years ago when we only had one coach and no trainers for a fifty man track team.
    Assuming you are talking about HS or College, I am pretty sure there were plenty of "student managers" around who would gather split information.

This didn't have to be paid labor.

Leave a comment:

• lonewolf
    replied

Leave a comment:

• EPelle
    replied
    Two trainers: the head one at the finish line, one assistant at the start line.

Leave a comment:

• lonewolf
    replied
    Thanks, EPelle, Makes sense but that is a lot of splitting. How did they do that before modern multiple split watches and auto time?

Leave a comment:

• EPelle
    replied
    Both. Having run the 1.500m, it had become imperative for me to know what I was splitting at each 400m segment of the race, but also at each 400m interval from the finish line. Therefore, splits at 300m-700m-1.100m were equally important to me as those at 400m-800m-1.200m were.

The past USATF/OT has provided splits from both lines.

Leave a comment:

• lonewolf
    replied
    Perhaps a naive question but I have never figured out how to time splits in the 1500? Do you time the first 300m and then the three 400 meter splits or do you time the first three 400 splits (if you can figure out the starting line from across the track) and the final 300? :?

Leave a comment:

• EPelle
    replied
    Originally posted by Taliban
    US Distance runners are non existent overseas. When they attend Grand Prix or Golden League meets they run timidly and shy from the pace.
    You've officially mixed up distance runners with the actual topic of 1.500m runners. Last I recall watching, Tegenkamp and Solinsky were toughing it out near the front in big Euro meets the past couple of years (specifically at 3.000m).

Leave a comment:

• Taliban
    replied
    Originally posted by The Atheist
    Completely unrelated to the post, but, I've always wanted to know...

Why is your name "Taliban"

Are you pro Taliban?

Anti Taliban?

Neither?

I remember you had the same screen name on trackshark too, so I suspect there is some significant meaning or purpose for your name, considering you've picked that name on two different sites.

If you would rather explain in a private message, that's fine too, or if you don't want to talk about it that's fine too.

I am just curious, thanks.
    No interest because there are no Americans making a buzz in the event.

I do not support terrorist.

Leave a comment:

• The Atheist
    replied
    Completely unrelated to the post, but, I've always wanted to know...

Why is your name "Taliban"

Are you pro Taliban?

Anti Taliban?

Neither?

I remember you had the same screen name on trackshark too, so I suspect there is some significant meaning or purpose for your name, considering you've picked that name on two different sites.

If you would rather explain in a private message, that's fine too, or if you don't want to talk about it that's fine too.

I am just curious, thanks.

Leave a comment:

• Taliban
    replied
    US Distance runners are non existent overseas. When they attend Grand Prix or Golden League meets they run timidly and shy from the pace. For a bunch of guys who worship Pre I think that's a damn shame. They need to grow some and attack these damn races.

Leave a comment:

• kuha
    replied
    Originally posted by gh
    All kinds of people "speak metric," but don't really.
    Exactly. Just like I "speak French." I can muddle through with ordering a meal, understanding directions, reading the headlines of a paper, and so on, but I'm a blithering idiot and don't genuinely understand the language. Unless you comprehend directly--without mentally "translating"--you don't genuinely understand...

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied
    The picture has been muddied a bit by the fact that "all" modern field-eventers understand their events well in metric. So a male javelin thrower is struggling like mad to get to the 80-meter mark, for example.

But if you ask the same thrower if he was impressed by X's 20-meter put in the shot, he'll go, "Huh?" Tell him it's close to 70 feet and he'll get it.

All kinds of people "speak metric," but don't really.

The true test is what you think of when you pick something householdish up and figure what it ways, or calcultate how far it is from here to the other side of the room. If the answer isnt' available without calculation you don't really speak meters at all.

Leave a comment:

• kuha
    replied
    Originally posted by The Atheist
    Well, the U.S. would probably be a lot more interested in track and field if it was The Mile instead of The 1500.
    Yes, yes, yes, a million times yes. And the 100 yards and the quarter mile, and the half mile, etc. We've pummeled this horse quite frequently on these boards. The truth is that the US public--for better or worse--has very little idea of what metric means. Whether they're "stupid" is beside the point. They don't HAVE to understand metric, so they don't. Why should they understand the concept of counting in base-12? 1500 meters? Why not 1400 meters or 1800 or 2200? None of this really means squat here.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X