Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US Sprinters in Europe Not Setting the World on Fire

Is it just me or are the US sprinters, other than Gay, not exactly lighting it up. I know we just had our nationals but so did Jamaica. Anybody give me some possible reasons, ideas, etc. Thanks in advance.

Oh boy, and the flood gates are open.

Comment

Inferiority complex.....

Comment

Heaven forbid that our WC qualifiers are in training.

Comment

Originally posted by Marlow
          And the Jamaicans are not? This was the same trend from last year. The American sprinters started the season off with a bang and began to fade as Beijing loomed closer. We're seeing a continuation of that trend now. Jeter, who began the season so promisingly is now struggling to keep pace with Stewart and Fraser. What makes it worse is that VCB has not even entered the fray yet.

As for the men, Gay is looking more and more likely to be the only American to medal in the sprints. Rodgers cant run with a healthy Powell, Gay and Bolt, so that potentially puts him out of the medals, especially when one considers that Martina, Thompson and Burns, and others will be vying for places in the men's 100m final.

Last year on radio here in Jamaica I predicted a sweep of the 100m women and they did just that. I fear the same fate awaits the American women this year.

The 400m is again the domain of the US male athletes and in the distaff event Richards, Williams (Jam) and perhaps Ohurugu will contest for medals.

The relays (should there be no mishaps) will go to the Jamaicans as well.

I say all this to suggest that the Jamaicans are not ready to cede their dominance just yet.

Comment

Correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't Rodgers dominated Martina and Thompson so far this season?

Bolt, Gay, and Powell are ALL consistent 9.8 (or faster) men. No one, American or otherwise, has shown the ability to run with those guys on a consistent basis.

Comment

Originally posted by shearer39
              Originally posted by Marlow
              And the Jamaicans are not? This was the same trend from last year. The American sprinters started the season off with a bang and began to fade as Beijing loomed closer. We're seeing a continuation of that trend now. Jeter, who began the season so promisingly is now struggling to keep pace with Stewart and Fraser. What makes it worse is that VCB has not even entered the fray yet.

As for the men, Gay is looking more and more likely to be the only American to medal in the sprints. Rodgers cant run with a healthy Powell, Gay and Bolt, so that potentially puts him out of the medals, especially when one considers that Martina, Thompson and Burns, and others will be vying for places in the men's 100m final.

Last year on radio here in Jamaica I predicted a sweep of the 100m women and they did just that. I fear the same fate awaits the American women this year.

The 400m is again the domain of the US male athletes and in the distaff event Richards, Williams (Jam) and perhaps Ohurugu will contest for medals.

The relays (should there be no mishaps) will go to the Jamaicans as well.

I say all this to suggest that the Jamaicans are not ready to cede their dominance just yet.
              I venture to say that the relays (4x4) will go to the Americans.

Comment

Originally posted by guruof track
                Correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't Rodgers dominated Martina and Thompson so far this season?

Bolt, Gay, and Powell are ALL consistent 9.8 (or faster) men. No one, American or otherwise, has shown the ability to run with those guys on a consistent basis.
                National champ Rodgers is 1-2 against Daniel Bailey this year. I think that, in a nutshell, indicates that other than Gay, U.S. sprinting is currently at a low ebb. (No offense to Bailey, who has Berlin medal contender--bronze that is--written all over him)

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                  Originally posted by guruof track

National champ Rodgers is 1-2 against Daniel Bailey this year. I think that, in a nutshell, indicates that other than Gay, U.S. sprinting is currently at a low ebb. (No offense to Bailey, who has Berlin medal contender--bronze that is--written all over him)
                  I agree.....either the world is catching up or the US is having an off year in the short sprints. Where the hell is Spearmon??
                  Afrikan

Comment

I disagree. I have heard this and I am disgusted by the bandwagonist.
                    Who are we talking about?
                    Muna ran once. That would be Rome. Carmelita has been the only woman out there running, and we should not forget she cramped and was pulled from the 200 in Eugene.
                    Rodgers has dropped 10.0s everytime out, which is his level.
                    Tyson is doing just fine. Doc has not run.
                    But more importantly, there is no comparison to the US trials and what it demands from the athletes. Give me Asafa and Bolt and let them go through our trials and then we will see how they would e fairing right now.
                    Someone mentioned Bailey? What trials did he have to go through. There is a huge difference between having to go through trials and being able to just target Berlin and get about the business.
                    THEN there is the fact that we are only discussing 2 meets and a week for our people. Relax. This is not last year. Last year we were running around trying to get the relays right and squeeze some races into a 2 week window. See what everyone forgets is the meets shutdown when the games started which robbed us of a week+ of meets, and forced folks to compete too soon. And we still came home with a boat load of medals.

This idea that something is wrong is Chicken Little talk. There's nothing wrong, Usain Bolt is the top sprinter, end of story. The Jamaican relay took the wr. Our sprinters are doing just fine. Tyson Gay just tied his AR at 9.77 and Rodgers dropped 10.03. And the rest of the crew has yet to show up. Let's see what happens next week, and evaluate from there. Take a breath everyone, this is not new. When Mo was on top he would leave trials, take his ass over to Paris and get smashed! After that, it was business as usual. Perspective people

Comment

Is smoke-colored glasses the same as rose-colored? :-)

Comment

As for the men, Gay is looking more and more likely to be the only American to medal in the sprints.
                        Wasnt Bolt the only Jamaican male to medal in the open sprints in Beijing?

Didn't 5 different American males medal in the open sprints in the same games?

And I wont throw in the hurdles because if I'm correct the count would then go like this:

USA 10
                        Jamaica 1

:shock:

I'm just saying.

For some reason what happened in Beijing has been taken way out of the realm of reality.

As for the open men's events in Bejing...

It was ONE track meet, where ONE guy dominated TWO open events.

God forbid if he twists an ankle next week, because then that ONE open win from Bejing may become...

ZERO. :shock:

Let's be rational and acknowledge all the athletes without constantly pitting these countries against it each other.
                        The fool has said...there is no God. Psa 14

Comment

[quote="Smoke"]I. Give me Asafa and Bolt and let them go through our trials and then we will see how they would e fairing right now.

Any objective thinker knows that Bolt and Powell would cake walk through the US trials. Name one sprinter other than Gay who can challenge either Powell or Bolt. Just one. In fact name one US sprinter other than Gay who has beaten a healthy Powell or Bolt.

Comment

Originally posted by Smoke
                            I. Give me Asafa and Bolt and let them go through our trials and then we will see how they would e fairing right now.

Any objective thinker knows that Bolt and Powell would cake walk through the US trials. Name one sprinter other than Gay who can challenge either Powell or Bolt. Just one. In fact name one US sprinter other than Gay who has beaten a healthy Powell or Bolt
                            Dix.
                            The fool has said...there is no God. Psa 14

Comment

Originally posted by TrackDaddy
                              As for the men, Gay is looking more and more likely to be the only American to medal in the sprints.
                              Wasnt Bolt the only Jamaican male to medal in the open sprints in Beijing?

Didn't 5 different American males medal in the open sprints in the same games?

And I wont throw in the hurdles because if I'm correct the count would then go like this:

USA 10
                              Jamaica 1

:shock:

I'm just saying.

For some reason what happened in Beijing has been taken way out of the realm of reality.

As for the open men's events in Bejing...

It was ONE track meet, where ONE guy dominated TWO open events.

God forbid if he twists an ankle next week, because then that ONE open win from Bejing may become...

ZERO. :shock:

Let's be rational and acknowledge all the athletes without constantly pitting these countries against it each other.

I wont dispute that. I was referring specifically to the short sprints.

100 m men...Bolt, Thompson, Dix....that's one american, two Carib nationals (remember, we're talking about dominance)

200 metres men. Bolt (two disqualifications gave US an extra medal since Spearmon was third)

Women's 100m Frazer, Simpson, Stewart (all jamaicans)

200m (VCB, Felix, Stewart) Two Jamaicans, one US national.

I was merely pointing out a similar trend to what occurred last year.

Relays Jamaica world record (US did not make finals)

Women's 4x100m Jamaica leading in finals and certainly would have won. US did not make finals.

Tell me, except for Gay, whether there will be a significant shift in that scenario this year.

Comment

Working...
                              X