Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by EPelle
    How do you know Bolt would have held up in eight races in the beginning of july when he'd never been put to this task in any considerable size or magnitude before? He lost a one-off to Powell at 100m in Stockholm last season nearly three weeks after the USA champs. Three weeks after that - or nearly six weeks after USA OT - he was able to charge through Beijing.

What assurance are you providing that Bolt would be able to cake-walk through USA OT? If he managed to race to win, would his body have held up for the six or seven weeks between then and Beijing (and beyond) with the commitments he made to Athens, Stockholm and London?
    So for all these years when the US athletes were winning all the sprints they never had the challenge of the US trials? That said, what is it that makes them so much more vulnerable now?

I am not arguing for one moment that the US trials are not demanding but to suggest that other athletes would be unable to survive is just nuts. Bolt took on the rest of the world at the Olympics and remained unbeaten for the remainder of the season.

Gay has done it. Lewis has too, Wariner, Richards, Felix, and the list goes on and on..Last season most of Jamaicans top sprinters went thru four rounds of competition too but they went to Europe and continued to dominate right thru Beijing.

Comment

Your position is shifting toward a more neutral one now, as it should; you've changed the tune from Bolt making a "cake-walk" out of the USA meet to "I am not arguing for one moment that the US trials are not demanding but to suggest that other athletes would be unable to survive is just nuts."

You're absolutely right in that Bolt and Powell could survive the USA meet. However, I'm not of the opinion that it would be easy for either athlete - the point of contention here.

I wondered, simply, how Bolt could simply stroll through the USA Championships in early july when he was apparently not yet ready to remain undefeated later that same month; how he could, on his first attempt, run as hard as the USA guys did at USATF in both events, during his first USA meet (completely untested in having done so) and simply skate through when it wasn't known until six weeks after USA OT that Bolt could maneuver through the maze at high velocity and with pin-point precision.

Comment

I wondered, simply, how Bolt could simply stroll through the USA Championships in early july when he was apparently not yet ready to remain undefeated later that same month; how he could, on his first attempt, run as hard as the USA guys did at USATF in both events, during his first USA meet (completely untested in having done so) and simply skate through when it wasn't known until six weeks after USA OT that Bolt could maneuver through the maze at high velocity and with pin-point precision.
        Bolt had already run 9.72 and 9.76 before trials. Maybe he wouldn't win the US trials easily, but he would have known it wouldn't take much effort to prevent 3 people from beating him.

Comment

Those 9,89-9,89-9,77 second-rounders would have taxed Bolt as it taxed the other athletes. My viewpoint is that had the USA champs been his first one, and everyone ran as they did throughout, Bolt wouldn't have cake-walked through this, as was the original contention about Bolt and the USA OT. How many times has Bolt run twice a day and broken 10,00 in one of his 100m races? Twice, and it wasn't to the tune of a 9,85w-9,68w or 10,14-9,77 (on consecutive days, mind you).

How are you certain it wouldn't have taken Bolt much effort to prevent three people from defeating him when he'd never had had to run those types of quality rounds at this early a time frame in his career? I'm curious as to how much effort you know he expended to be so positive.

Comment

Originally posted by shearer39
            Originally posted by Marlow
            Heaven forbid that our WC qualifiers are in training.
            And the Jamaicans are not? This was the same trend from last year. The American sprinters started the season off with a bang and began to fade as Beijing loomed closer. We're seeing a continuation of that trend now. Jeter, who began the season so promisingly is now struggling to keep pace with Stewart and Fraser. What makes it worse is that VCB has not even entered the fray yet.

As for the men, Gay is looking more and more likely to be the only American to medal in the sprints. Rodgers cant run with a healthy Powell, Gay and Bolt, so that potentially puts him out of the medals, especially when one considers that Martina, Thompson and Burns, and others will be vying for places in the men's 100m final.

Last year on radio here in Jamaica I predicted a sweep of the 100m women and they did just that. I fear the same fate awaits the American women this year.

The 400m is again the domain of the US male athletes and in the distaff event Richards, Williams (Jam) and perhaps Ohurugu will contest for medals.

The relays (should there be no mishaps) will go to the Jamaicans as well.

I say all this to suggest that the Jamaicans are not ready to cede their dominance just yet.
            I totally agree, doubt Sanya will win the 400 though, the rounds will do her in despite her new strategy an awesome form of late, I think Shericka Williams will be world champion, she's having her most consistent season yet and really seems to believe in herself.

I really wish someone could explain to me why the US sprinters are able to run so fast at their trials (when the times are legal, we're not talking about the wind aided times here) and not afterwards. The Americans have never lacked quality and confidence, what's going on?

Comment

Nobody who asks this question gets an answer. I wonder why? There is not even any debate when this question is asked. Nobody touches it. Strange. It is a legitimate question but no curiosity? Not worth discussion? Wow?

I ran track up to oly trials and I can tell you. It's a break from the norm. With sprinting, track is a sport of consistency of performance subject, of course, to weather conditions. Then a breakthrough. Then more consistency at the new level.

I suspect the experts on this board have an answer. That's why they are silent. But they talk about everything else under the sun. And will debate you on every miniscule point - except this one.

Maybe the rules of the board have something to do with it? But we don't have to get into suspicion to debate this - do we?

Comment

I grew up in awe of american sprinters, who I watched in front of the tv as a teen. The likes of lattany, calvin smith and carl lewis were a joy to watch.

But some of you american posters have to swallow your pride, no point denying it, bolt is a phenom, will very likely go down as one of the greatest sprinters of the modern era and their isn't a damn the americans can do about it including gay who I have great respect for.

Bolt could have gone through the us trials and still notched up impressive times in europe regardless. He is just that good. Deal with it.

For the brit posters, did you see Bolt on top gear today. Not bad behind a steering wheel either.

Comment

Originally posted by justblaze1011
                  I just want one simple answer. Outside of Bolt, what did the other Jamaican sprinters do in a open event seeing that the term dominate has been thrown around so much. I've asked this question for over a year and the only response I've gotten is your a hater and I'm mad at Jamaica's sucess, even tho I'm not and never have been.
                  A Jamaican 19 year old beat your Champion.. how about that!

Comment

Originally posted by RamGoat
                    I just want one simple answer. Outside of Bolt, what did the other Jamaican sprinters do in a open event seeing that the term dominate has been thrown around so much. I've asked this question for over a year and the only response I've gotten is your a hater and I'm mad at Jamaica's sucess, even tho I'm not and never have been.
                    Well if you pay attention, we are talking about the Olympics. See what happens when you go diving into a pool thats not lit at night.

Comment

Those 9,89-9,89-9,77 second-rounders would have taxed Bolt as it taxed the other athletes. My viewpoint is that had the USA champs been his first one, and everyone ran as they did throughout, Bolt wouldn't have cake-walked through this, as was the original contention about Bolt and the USA OT. How many times has Bolt run twice a day and broken 10,00 in one of his 100m races? Twice, and it wasn't to the tune of a 9,85w-9,68w or 10,14-9,77 (on consecutive days, mind you).

How are you certain it wouldn't have taken Bolt much effort to prevent three people from defeating him when he'd never had had to run those types of quality rounds at this early a time frame in his career? I'm curious as to how much effort you know he expended to be so positive.

TRAILS SCHMIALS!!! excuses excuses. :lol:
                      It's their job to run those trials that's part of the thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Kishan Gill
                        I grew up in awe of american sprinters, who I watched in front of the tv as a teen. The likes of lattany, calvin smith and carl lewis were a joy to watch.

But some of you american posters have to swallow your pride, no point denying it, bolt is a phenom, will very likely go down as one of the greatest sprinters of the modern era and their isn't a damn the americans can do about it including gay who I have great respect for.
                        Bolt could have gone through the us trials and still notched up impressive times in europe regardless. He is just that good. Deal with it.For the brit posters, did you see Bolt on top gear today. Not bad behind a steering wheel either.

Can't agree with you more, but I really don't think they will. But, while they beating their GUMS and all, Jamaica is preparing another onslaught on the SPRINT MEDALS in BERLIN. I sure wouldn't want to be the fly on that wall in when they discussing again what happen! All the talking from JA will be done on the TRACK.

JA SPRINT CAPITOL OF THE WORLD.

PS. As Bolt mentioned, we stake claim to being the TOP SPRINTERS in the WORLD, and we going to BERLIN to do GREAT things. Enough said.

Comment

No one is denying BOLT is a great talent. But outside of Bolt who from Jamaica is going to do anything of significance?

Comment

Originally posted by guruof track
                            No one is denying BOLT is a great talent. But outside of Bolt who from Jamaica is going to do anything of significance?

lol. Your joking right.

Kerron
                            Fraser
                            Veronica
                            Melanie
                            etc.

Relays 4 x 100m men and women

Did you even watch the Olympics in Berlin. ?
                            Cows need love too

Comment

Originally posted by jamaicantrackfan
                              Originally posted by guruof track

lol. Your joking right.

Kerron
                              Fraser
                              Veronica
                              Melanie
                              etc.

Relays 4 x 100m men and women

Did you even watch the Olympics in Berlin. ?
                              Sorry, I was talking about the men. I've already stated the JA women dominated. But the men not so much, it was Bolt and ..........

Comment

Originally posted by RamGoat

Did with an awful start at that!! But, really just goes to show....JA have quality not quantity.

And it's really sad to see some folks even going on record talking about because JA small we shouldn't be doing that like they are GOD. Did JA needed snow to be falling there for us to take part in WINTER OYLYPICS? That goes to show, JA no make nothing stop them!!

David, just needed ONE STONE in a SLING to take down GOLIATH.

To BERLIN we go!!

I have a feeling the whole WORLD is eager for start of BERLIN WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS!!

Comment

Working...
                                X