Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RamGoat
    Originally posted by EPelle
    Those 9,89-9,89-9,77 second-rounders would have taxed Bolt as it taxed the other athletes. My viewpoint is that had the USA champs been his first one, and everyone ran as they did throughout, Bolt wouldn't have cake-walked through this, as was the original contention about Bolt and the USA OT. How many times has Bolt run twice a day and broken 10,00 in one of his 100m races? Twice, and it wasn't to the tune of a 9,85w-9,68w or 10,14-9,77 (on consecutive days, mind you).

How are you certain it wouldn't have taken Bolt much effort to prevent three people from defeating him when he'd never had had to run those types of quality rounds at this early a time frame in his career? I'm curious as to how much effort you know he expended to be so positive.

TRAILS SCHMIALS!!! excuses excuses. :lol:
    It's their job to run those trials that's part of the thing.
    Sorry Ram, but this is the wrong reply. The question was what happens to the Americans. Part of the answer is that they have to peak so much for the Trials that they are trashed for a while, and the ones that peak most are trashed the most (this does not mean that the ones that peak most will win, but they will finish higher up the peeking order than otherwise).

Thus, while it may be there job to get on the team, doing so at the expense of how they run the next 2-4 weeks is typically the best strategy (and a key reason why USATF has given a pass to the defending WC athletes). Therefore, it is irrelevant that getting ready is their job, what is relevant is that it takes a toll getting there.

As the Jamaican pool gets deeper this will happen there, but the nature of the population difference leads me to think that it will never be hard to get through the first couple of rounds for the better Jamaican sprinters.

Comment

Originally posted by Tvarish
      Originally posted by shearer39
      Originally posted by Smoke
      I. Give me Asafa and Bolt and let them go through our trials and then we will see how they would e fairing right now.

Any objective thinker knows that Bolt and Powell would cake walk through the US trials. Name one sprinter other than Gay who can challenge either Powell or Bolt. Just one. In fact name one US sprinter other than Gay who has beaten a healthy Powell or Bolt.
      My whole purpose in the post was to find out if I was right or not looking at it correctly. I said I did not know and needed some help from the people that do. I wasn't about to jump off a tall building.

As for going through our trials, Bolt ok. As for Powell, what has he EVER done to prove he can go through 4 rounds of any competition and do anything?
      When comparing with the current state of the Americans, Bolt is good enough to get through without too much damage because he is so much better. But a compromised Powell is more of a question. Several weeks ago he might have self-destructed getting through a 2x2 schedule against a large stable of good sprinters. The other Jamaicans would be more pushed to get through unscathed.

Comment

Americans peak once for nationals and again for championships (those who qualify). I dont see the problem... jamaicans dont need to run as quick rounds vs. americans who do at their trials.

Jamaicans training programs arent a copy of what americans are doing pre and post trials.

BTW, rodgers had problems getting to europe and had to fly back to US before coming back before his race vs. powell. The flatness still isnt gone but i wouldnt be concerned, he'll get into his peak come berlin.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
          Originally posted by Paul Henry
          ...a true analyst like yourself should realize that Jamaica never ranks at the world level in youths and juniors as they do in WC, Common Wealths, Pan Ams or Olys. Mind you, there have been shining yeras when JA shines at the youth or Juniors but the norm is known to be an average of 3 or 4 medals with a gold now and then.

Next thing you passed, is that the WYC or WJC for high school aged kids usually held in July/august and comes months after champs. And in reality Ja's. finest kids are peaked mentally and physically to do their bests at champs ( that's the reality) These kids have dominated, Champs, Penns, Carifta by the times these internationals come about they are worn.

Bottom line, I can agree with that it really means nothing that they got no gold.
          Jamaica at the World Youths, medals in 1/2/4:

1999--1G, 3S, 1B (5)
          2001--1S, 2B (3)
          2003--2G (2)
          2005--2B(2)
          2007--2G, 2S, 1B (5)
          2009--zip

I stand by by statement that this year represented a low ebb.
          Now that's downright misleading, 2009 JA actually got two medals. 1brnz in the Discuss for boys and 1 silver in the 400H for girls. So that would be "zip" plus two for World Youths' medals.

Oh, but I just saw your 1/2/4 disclaimer. But anyways, the first ever medal in throw for any Jamaican does not say we will be a force in the future.

Comment

Jamaica got it's first ever medal in throw at any level!! That my friend is not an ebb or a lull. We are chided for not trying the full realm of T&F, the year we did, we gat labelled ebby.

My main point, however, is stemming from the fact that, the usual in depth analysis you are known for excludes the facts I focused on. In 2003, there was no and less deveopmental meets eg.Utech Invitational. This year in particular saw each elite high school athlete running no less than 50 high impact races spanning Jan to April. These guys' athletic calendar have become more swammped than ever cause everyone wants to see them. Let's have your say on that and then side and side that with your comments. Just dont forget the names of those you saw there in 2009, particularly the one that fell, moreso the ones you never saw.

Comment

Where in the world is Lauryn Williams?
              Cows need love too

Comment

Originally posted by jamaicantrackfan
                And the Corvette?
                The fool has said...there is no God. Psa 14

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Henry
                  Oh, but I just saw your 1/2/4 disclaimer. But anyways, the first ever medal in throw for any Jamaican does not say we will be a force in the future.
                  What disclaimer? The subject of this whole thread is the sprints. When I entered into it, I said SPRINTS from the get-go. The 1/2/4; nothing more, nothing less. My statement stands inarguable.

Comment

Originally posted by TrackDaddy
                    And the Corvette?
                    Training.

Comment

Originally posted by justblaze1011
                      Originally posted by TrackDaddy
                      And the Corvette?
                      Training.
                      All missing are listed for Paris GL meet this coming Friday.

ANDERSON Alexandria USA 11.02 11.02
                      BAPTISTE Kelly-Ann TRI 10.94 10.94
                      FELIX Allyson USA 10.93
                      HOOKER Marshevet USA 10.93 11.14
                      STEWART Kerron JAM 10.80 10.92
                      STURRUP Chandra BAH 10.84 11.15
                      WILLIAMS Lauryn USA 10.88 11

Comment

Hooker won't be there. Her first European meet will be in London.

I'm actually glad that she waited...as I am Lauryn. Wish Muna and Jeter had gone a similar route but everyone's training methods are different and needs (money) are different as well.

I say glad Hooker and Lauryn waited because they both doubled and while it was 6 races as opposed to 8 last year it was still tough on the body in a 4 day time span.

Muna doubled and has basically gone overseas trying to shake the cobwebs. I believe she's actually coming back to the states before going BACK to Europe for London as are some other sprinters. But one can't help to think that Muna may be dealing with a slight injury given recent results.

Interested to see Alex contends with the international scene now that college is in the rear view....hopefully she actually races this time around. Could be an interesting task though in unfamiliar territory, without Bev at her side, etc. Either way it'll be good prep for the future.

Comment

Re: US Sprinters in Europe Not Setting the World on Fire

Is it just me or are the US sprinters, other than Gay, not exactly lighting it up. I know we just had our nationals but so did Jamaica. Anybody give me some possible reasons, ideas, etc. Thanks in advance.
                          Hmmm lets see, well on the European Circuit they don't have bogus wind gauges or short tracks. It happened last year too. Guys run fantastic times at the Trials, then go to Europe and get beat. Consistently coming in at the back of the pack in 10.1+ to 10.3+.

Comment

:?

Meanwhile, Gay just runs a 9.77 with a .4 wind and in Europe in what is only his 2nd 100m race.....

Comment

Originally posted by J2thaD
                              Is it just me or are the US sprinters, other than Gay, not exactly lighting it up. I know we just had our nationals but so did Jamaica. Anybody give me some possible reasons, ideas, etc. Thanks in advance.
                              Hmmm lets see, well on the European Circuit they don't have bogus wind gauges or short tracks. It happened last year too. Guys run fantastic times at the Trials, then go to Europe and get beat. Consistently coming in at the back of the pack in 10.1+ to 10.3+.
                              Name one country in the world, one country with a tougher trials? As has been stated, that is a variable that is tangible, not this conjecture you're throwing out.
                              on the road

Comment

Originally posted by Speedfirst
                                Originally posted by J2thaD
                                Name one country in the world, one country with a tougher trials? As has been stated, that is a variable that is tangible, not this conjecture you're throwing out.
                                How many countries have more than 2 rounds to a sprint event...

Comment

Working...
                                X