6 Gemma MILES KENDAL 33:37.71 SB

7 Hatti DEAN HALLAM 34:09.31

8 Nicky ARCHER VALE R 34:59.84

Dacia PERKINS DNF

http://www.uka.org.uk/results/20090710_ ... 0K_R_f.htm

And she ran the final km in 2:47 :shock:
    Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

I was there and I'm glad I stayed for it. It started raining just before the race, which meant Defar was grimacing and squinting for most of the race because of the water getting in her eyes. Didn't seem to slow her down though. At 6km and 7km, I thought she'd start slipping off the pace and even with a couple of laps to go I thought the best she could hope for was a 30:10. But her last two laps were seriously impressive. Can't wait for that event in Berlin. Crazy to think there have been four sub-30 performances in just the past 12 months.

Comment

I'm really not so surprised at the sudden deluge of women under 30 min. The elite africans ran it so rarely, often just at the major champ, that their real potential hadn't been seen.

People like Dibaba, Defar, Linet Masai and co. can run well under 30 mins, as good as Radcliffe was, and yes conditions at the Euros weren't great when she ran, but the african women we are seeing running now are frankly better than Radcliffe was on the track.

Comment

It somewhat surprises me the relatively small number of women (~13) that have been able to run faster than Kristiansen's 30;13 in 1986.

Consider that in 1986, the men's WR was 27;13 (60+ men have now run faster than 27;13) and that the WR is now almost a minute faster at 26;17.

Too, the women's 10,000 was in it's infancy in the '80s, being one of the new additions to the World and Olympic events.

The above, in addition to the accessibility of procrit and other supplemental means, leads me to think that there are many more women capable of running under 30 minutes and that the women's all-time list is ready for an overhaul.

Comment

Think maybe that puts her on the WC team?

Comment

Originally posted by gh
              Think maybe that puts her on the WC team?
              Probably, but only because the several dozen faster teenagers, that are running around somewhere up above 8000 feet, haven't found their way to the track yet...

Comment

Originally posted by ed gee
                It somewhat surprises me the relatively small number of women (~13) that have been able to run faster than Kristiansen's 30;13 in 1986.

Consider that in 1986, the men's WR was 27;13 (60+ men have now run faster than 27;13) and that the WR is now almost a minute faster at 26;17.

Too, the women's 10,000 was in it's infancy in the '80s, being one of the new additions to the World and Olympic events.

The above, in addition to the accessibility of procrit and other supplemental means, leads me to think that there are many more women capable of running under 30 minutes and that the women's all-time list is ready for an overhaul.
                I believe the answer to that is relatively simple; "most" of the great men's 10s have come in major/semi-major GP races with a bevy of stud runners and professional rabbits.

Most of the great women's 10s have come at WC/OG type settings. Which means no rabbits and generally unfavorable weather.

Neh?

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                  I believe the answer to that is relatively simple; "most" of the great men's 10s have come in major/semi-major GP races with a bevy of stud runners and professional rabbits.

Most of the great women's 10s have come at WC/OG type settings. Which means no rabbits and generally unfavorable weather.

Neh?
                  Definitely true. In the past, meets like Oslo and Brussels (and a few others) had high-level 10,000s that were sure to figure prominently in the yearly rankings and list of times. The number of those seems to have been eroded over the years, as the GP circuit puts the distance emphasis on the 3000/5000 rather than the 10,000. Thus, there just aren't that many quality races outside of championship finals anymore. That's too bad.

Comment

also there is not nearly the depth in womans running, so it is very difficult to find woman who can run a world record pace for a good portion of the race, who are willing to sacrifice themselves so someone else can run a fast time.

this is one of the reasons the very top woman should be allowed to run races with men, as i said on another thread defar won her race today by 82 seconds so basically a solo effort, if defar was allowed to run with the men race at the british champs where 2nd place was 29:22 and 11th place was 30:07 she probably could have run faster, but as another poster said mixed races are not allowed for record purposes.
                    i say allow for mixed races as the female still needs to run on her own 2 feet from start to finish and the fact that most men get their best times in races they were pulled along at least some of that race, it is really rare for someone to take an immediate lead and go the whole way for a record.

Comment

According to the IAAF homepage, Defar ran 29:25! Even though I knew she ran 29:59, I still had to double-check just to make sure!
                      http://twitter.com/Trackside2011

Comment

Originally posted by kuha
                        Originally posted by gh

Neh?
                        Definitely true. In the past, meets like Oslo and Brussels (and a few others) had high-level 10,000s that were sure to figure prominently in the yearly rankings and list of times. The number of those seems to have been eroded over the years, as the GP circuit puts the distance emphasis on the 3000/5000 rather than the 10,000. Thus, there just aren't that many quality races outside of championship finals anymore. That's too bad.
                        when Ingrid was at her paek there was always a 10k at Oslo for obvious reasons. i can't remember the last time i saw a 10k on the circuit. i still can't believe Paula didn't get one set up in 02 she ran a solo 30.01 into driving rain in Munich that year it was worth at least 29.45 with some pacemakers and better conditions
                        i deserve extra credit

Comment

Originally posted by doug091463
                          also there is not nearly the depth in womans running, so it is very difficult to find woman who can run a world record pace for a good portion of the race, who are willing to sacrifice themselves so someone else can run a fast time.

this is one of the reasons the very top woman should be allowed to run races with men, as i said on another thread defar won her race today by 82 seconds so basically a solo effort, if defar was allowed to run with the men race at the british champs where 2nd place was 29:22 and 11th place was 30:07 she probably could have run faster, but as another poster said mixed races are not allowed for record purposes.
                          i say allow for mixed races as the female still needs to run on her own 2 feet from start to finish and the fact that most men get their best times in races they were pulled along at least some of that race, it is really rare for someone to take an immediate lead and go the whole way for a record.
                          What can we do to help the top man - Bekele - run faster times? Should multiple pace setters, beginning at different stages of the race be allowed? He would still be running on his own two feet from start to finish. Why can't he benefit from being pulled along as well.

Comment

Originally posted by gcheves
                            Originally posted by doug091463

What can we do to help the top man - Bekele - run faster times? Should multiple pace setters, beginning at different stages of the race be allowed? He would still be running on his own two feet from start to finish. Why can't he benefit from being pulled along as well.
                            no, there are plenty of men who can run a significant portion of the race at world record pace, not nearly as much with the women.

look at the marathon there are lots of pacemakers who can run world record
                            pace for a half marathon (1:01:55) and there are only about a dozen woman in history who have run world record pace (1:07:40) for half marathon. same with the 5k in world record attempts men have pacers for at leat 3k, with the woman pacers dont usually make it to 2k.

look at a decent college runner who runs 29:59 chances are when he ran that, other people led at some point and he had people to run with. i kind of want to know how fast t. dibaba, defar etc. could run if they had the same situation as a good college runner has.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                              Originally posted by ed gee

Neh?

I believe one of the very reasons Defar was a guest in the UK championship race was the dearth of quality women's 10,000's.

Message to Nike: For the next big draw to Hayward Field, set up a small meet (summer? Pre Classic in a non-champs year?) highlighting a top-notch international women's 10,000m. field, with the goal of breaking records (WR, NR's, American soil, etc.). Already did it for Bekele a few seasons back.

Good PR for the company that pushed for the women's marathon back in the early '80's (always good for sales and future product loyalty to remind the present generation of that fact). Involve people such as Olympic star Joan Samuelson as a spokesperson and it might even get the interest of television, SI and the major papers, domestic and abroad.

Comment

Working...
                              X