X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• World youth chamionships final table and analysis

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_World ... dals_table

What are your views on aspects such as

1. Most outstanding athlete : Toss up between Kirani and Jodie.
    I vote Kirani because he came close to world bests, did a more difficult double. Set a meet record. Ran in more heats and comes from a resource challenged country.

But in Jodie Williams, GB has a future starlet who will attract many fence sitters to the sport if she lives up to the promise.

2. Most outstanding team : Toss up between Kenya and USA.
    I vote Kenya for topping the medal table. Also because its one thing to have the talent. Its quite another to have a semi-organized system to develop and nurture young athletes especially for a resource poor nation like Kenya. Just look at Nigeria. they have all the sprint talent in the world and nothing to show.

3. Happiest Fans : Perhaps GB or Sweden. They have a bright future to look forward to. But cross fingers and hope that their world youth exploits will translate to outstanding senior runners.

4. Most Worried fans : Toss up between Ethiopia and Jamaica.
    I vote Jamaica: No medals and hardly any finalists in the 100m, 200m, 400m , hurdles, relays.
    What happened ?

3 cheers to Thailand, Uzbek & Israel for winning their 1st ever gold

Re: World youth chamionships final table and analysis

Originally posted by kamikaze7
    Most outstanding athlete : Toss up between Kirani and Jodie.
    I'm sorry, but a 3:37 at 15 years old? That is waaaay beyond those two. It's just stupid sick. That's a 3:54-55 mile for a sophomore in HS. :shock:

BTW, props for that Wiki page! Was that you, kami?

Comment

Originally posted by Marlow
      I'm sorry, but a 3:37 at 15 years old? That is waaaay beyond those two. It's just stupid sick. That's a 3:54-55 mile for a sophomore in HS. :shock:

No the wiki page was not me. I was amazed too at how quickly it was being updated.

Comment

It is not likely to happen, but just think if the OG's of 2016 sees
        a Boltesque sprint double by someone from Grenada...

(I admit to not even knowing that they had a national team
        until this week.)

Comment

Originally posted by Marlow

It would be pretty amazing if it happened.

Comment

Originally posted by imaginative
            It is not likely to happen, but just think if the OG's of 2016 sees
            a Boltesque sprint double by someone from Grenada...

(I admit to not even knowing that they had a national team
            until this week.)
            Eh, Alleyne Francique :!:

See also, Hazel -Ann Regis and Sherry FLetcher (NCAA 100m CHampion a few years ago )

Kirani James is an absolute freak of nature. That boys loping stride is something to behold. 45'2 is spectacular. Francique has barely retired and he already has a special replacement.

Comment

In regards to jamaica being worried.. i think there more disappointed caus the times won in some of these events jamicans could if not match but come close to.. i think its hard for them to perform cause of the extremely long season.. they peak in early march for boys and girls champs and then they have to peak again for world youth in july is really tough.. for these young kids

Comment

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_World_Youth_Championships_in_Athletics#Medals _table

What are your views on aspects such as ...

Most outstanding team : Toss up between Kenya and USA.
                I vote Kenya for topping the medal table. Also because its one thing to have the talent. Its quite another to have a semi-organized system to develop and nurture young athletes especially for a resource poor nation like Kenya. Just look at Nigeria. they have all the sprint talent in the world and nothing to show.
                Depends on your interpretation of what "tops" the medal table. The USA and Kenya tied for most gold medals with six, and the USA had more overall medals sixteen to fourteen. I'd give the edge to the USA even if Kenya had more silvers.

Comment

Originally posted by Halfmiler2
                  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_World_Youth_Championships_in_Athletics#Medals _table

What are your views on aspects such as ...

Most outstanding team : Toss up between Kenya and USA.
                  Depends on your interpretation of what "tops" the medal table. The USA and Kenya tied for most gold medals with six, and the USA had more overall medals sixteen to fourteen. I'd give the edge to the USA even if Kenya had more silvers.
                  But Kenya did not just win. They dominated a lot of events winning by huge margins or going 1-2. Which leads me to belive that if they were allowed to field 3 participants they might have gone 1-2-3. . That plus they have limited resources and a smaller population base to choose from. I.E number of medals per capita. Also some of their runners ran ridiculously fast times for that age group.

Comment

The Kenyans are always spectacular in these championship events, making them an instantaneous pleasure to watch. Did they really run outside of themselves? The records for these groups is 3m33 86 and 7m32 37. The winning times were slower by a large margin against the world bests for these distances.
                    Fire Impossible.

Comment

Those records weren't set in age group competition though.

Comment

Also the medley relays the US won dont really count for anything.

Comment

m 400 at world youths, got quite a lot of the other vids in the related vid section, will be good to see.

also the girl that came 2nd to Jodie Williams in the 100 n 200 what country is she from, i couldn't work it out and im usually pretty good at it.

edit

would be good if i actually linked it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsp3OLUJdq4

Comment

16 year old angry at running 45.2 is crazy. Wake looks like he messed up and may have cost him the bronze by giving up too soon

Comment

Originally posted by Kai88
                              Also the medley relays the US won dont really count for anything.
                              Why not? They were official events on the schedule.

Comment

Working...
                              X