Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lignano Results - Wariner 45.74

http://www.nuovatletica.it/meetinglignano/page.php?14

Lots of Americans, as usual, in this meet held in the resort town of Lignano, about an hour east of Venice.

I see Asafa Powell in the 100m results. He's jogged the youth/disabled heats in previous years when I attended, sort of as a "thank you", since he's used the town as his summer base.

It's not much of a thank you if you couldn't even be bothered to stride
    1 5 37 KIMMONS Trell 1985 SM USA00 UNITED STATES OF AMERICA 10.25
    2 3 39 BARNES Winston 1988 PM JAM00 JAMAICA 10.41
    3 4 36 POWELL Asafa 1982 SM JAM00 JAMAICA 10.42

As for Wariner. After the longevity of Johnson I thought Wariner would go longer but his dominance seems well and truly over. What happened?

Comment

Originally posted by 3a
      As for Wariner. After the longevity of Johnson I thought Wariner would go longer but his dominance seems well and truly over. What happened?
      Seems like you're reading way into a result here. He won by nearly half a second and you're calling it a career for Wariner? His dominance is gone because Merritt has risen to his level.

Comment

What about Powell?

What the hell was that?

I didn't watch the race... did he shut down really hard or something?

Why was his time so horrible compared to in the last meet?

Did he re-injure himself or something?

Comment

Originally posted by The Atheist
          What about Powell?

What the hell was that?

I didn't watch the race... did he shut down really hard or something?

Why was his time so horrible compared to in the last meet?

Did he re-injure himself or something?
          OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG!!!!!! LOL...man chillout!!!!

Comment

?

He ran more than half a second slower today than a few days ago...

I didn't get to see the race, so I'm asking if he just shut down way before the finish line or something, or if he got injured. Seems like a reasonable question. You're the one who should chill out.

Comment

?

I didn't get to see the race, so I'm asking if he just shut down way before the finish line or something, or if he got injured. Seems like a reasonable question. You're the one who should chill out.

It'd be a reasonable question, had it not been answered in the original post.

He has a history of just showing up to this meet and "jogging" the race (note: this is different than jamaicantrackfan's definition of "jogging").

Comment

Originally posted by BisonHurdler
                ?

It'd be a reasonable question, had it not been answered in the original post.

He has a history of just showing up to this meet and "jogging" the race (note: this is different than jamaicantrackfan's definition of "jogging").
                Even if it was just a workout for him the two that beat him have pr's of 10.16.. I think that even if I was just doing it for fun I'd still want to win.
                http://i42.tinypic.com/wlqckx.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by OBUTRACKSTER
                  I think that even if I was just doing it for fun I'd still want to win.
                  Then, why didn't you?

Comment

ya wtf, lol

Comment

Obviously I wasn't in the race. I'm just saying if you're well capable of winning then why not? It's not like they ran very fast anyways.. JW didn't run all out in the 400 and still won.. Maybe Powell just didn't run a good race.. I guess Jo one will know until a video is released

Comment

Originally posted by OBUTRACKSTER
                        Obviously I wasn't in the race. I'm just saying if you're well capable of winning then why not? It's not like they ran very fast anyways.. JW didn't run all out in the 400 and still won.. Maybe Powell just didn't run a good race.. I guess Jo one will know until a video is released
                        It is times like these that I wish there was that emotion that is rolling from side to side laughing... I about died...

Comment

I guess I should've said that sentence a little differently.
                          :roll:
                          Even if HE was just using the run as a workout why not try and win?

Like I said the 2 sprinters who beat him were obviously there to win. I think everyone is degrading these athletes by saying that Asafa jogged. Without proof you do not know how he ran the race. Someone said that he was running with people with disabilities. This is far from the truth. Look up the 2 runners who beat him on IAAF and you will see that Trell Kimmons has the 60M Junior college record at 6.53 which is faster than current naia record holder Mike Rodgers 6.54.. All I'm saying is dont sell these guys short.

Comment

Asafa's instructions I believe were to run a sub-max race. Hes coming off 4 races in 10 days and topping off one more, and my guess is doing some regeneration work now to get the ankle up to 100%, and supercompensation effect of the races should get him into 9.80 or so shape.

Once the ankle is 100%, his start/drive phase is back to the way it should be, I think he will get into the 9.7 high and once the top end speed comes around... low 9.7s.

Comment

Originally posted by track_expert
                              Asafa's instructions I believe were to run a sub-max race. .
                              I gave those instructions to a high school athlete of mine who seemed very close to pulling a muscle at the end of the first day of a big meet (for him). Obviously it's not quite the same as Asafa, but it's a funny story. His last event of the day were the 100m heats, and it was about 10 degrees C and pounding rain. The next day he had the 200m final, 110mH, Triple Jump, and 4x100m relay.

He was fast enough to be about 3rd in the 100m final, but my instructions were to go jog down the track. The TD wouldn't let me scratch him without voiding his other events, so he didn't bother with blocks, left his sweat-pants on, and took about 30 seconds to lumber down the track. It was one of the more amusing moments at that meet, with the other 7 guys in his heat waiting at the finish line cheering him on, and gave him a few high-5s when he crossed the line. He came 3rd in the 200m, 2nd in the 110mH, and 1st in the TJ.

Comment

Working...
                              X