Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• African juniors are so good its frightning

Isiah Koech won the world youth championship 3000 meters with a time of 7:51.What is so crazy is he is only 15! The 1500 was won by a 16 yr old African with a time of 3:37.In the past I have made light about how good the africans are,but its gonna be ugly in 2012.Still when you are running it could be anyones race,but the africans are on another planet altogether :shock:

Just recently you were saying it was like a game show, and that anybody could win. Emerson wrote that a "foolish consistency is the hobglobin of little minds..." I guess a "foolish inconsistency" is the hobglobin of williamwindhamjr.

Comment

Re: African juniors are so good its frightning

Originally posted by williamwindhamjr
      Isiah Koech won the world youth championship 3000 meters with a time of 7:51.What is so crazy is he is only 15! The 1500 was won by a 16 yr old African with a time of 3:37.In the past I have made light about how good the africans are,but its gonna be ugly in 2012.Still when you are running it could be anyones race,but the africans are on another planet altogether :shock:
      Why is it going to be ugly? Just because Galen Rupp has no chance of winning a medal? :roll:
      http://twitter.com/Trackside2011

Comment

Hey oxy did you not read the whole thread?I said that it could still be anyones race.Read a book :roll:

Comment

Anyone could win a medal,but when you have 15 year olds running 3:37.Uh.........

Comment

Re: African juniors are so good its frightning

Originally posted by williamwindhamjr
            Still when you are running it could be anyones race,but the africans are on another planet altogether :shock:
            OK, perhaps this would be an illustration of your "foolish inconsistency."

Comment

2 cents where is the other 48 cent because you are a poor excuse for the rapper.Why are you always whining like a baby?

Comment

william, I assume your question was rhetorical.
                OK, william, what is your explanation for the "Africans being on another planet"?
                You seem like an expert. Why are they so good?

Comment

Mental preparation in addition to hard training.Do you realize that Isiah who at 15 ran a 7:51 at 3000 said that he is preparing to race in the 2012 olympics?That is the same age German is now.Next year at 16 Isiah will be running against world class runners in europe, while our best at his age will be trying to win a high school title.They have great training,but the expectations for them are high, while we are happy with NCAA CHAMPIONSHIPS.

Comment

The IAAF have kindly revealed that despite Isaiah Koech's brilliant win in the 3000m final Sunday, Koech is not ready to follow his great compatriots into the professional ranks just yet.
                    Fire Impossible.

Comment

I don't think there is anything so mysterious about why East Africans are such good middle and long distance runners.
                      Kenny Moore touched on it, with tounge only slightly in cheek, in a SI article several years ago. He wrote that they are descended from 300 generations of high altitude tribesmen whose chief occupation was rustling cattle from the lowlands and running them home. The slow ones got caught, the fast ones survived and reproduced.
                      In addition to genetics/heredity, the environmental lifestyle, which necessitates running from an early age, national tradition and recognition and the fact it is one of the few ways out of poverty is serious motivation to excel.

Comment

I might add that the birth years are not know with exactitude and errors are made on both sides (under- and over-estimating true age). We observe highly notable results when a great runner also has their age under-estimated (and not some much when it is over-estimated). Hence throw in the chance of observational bias (which might be helped with the knowledge that under-estimating the age would give the athlete an advantage in age-group competitions and that doing well in such competitions increases their chances of being supported and hence increasing the family welfare substantially) and you more easily get very notable results.

Comment

Working...
                        X