Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who are the candidates to be the new UCLA men's head coach?

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who are the candidates to be the new UCLA men's head coach?

Just wondering if those really plugged into track and field have any information? Thanks.

me :wink:

Comment

It's eerily silent. Absolutely nada from the AD's office. They may indeed be working on something or have a short-list, but they sure seem to be keeping it a secret.

Comment

Don Babbitt, Brian Blutreich, John Frazier, Dave Dumble all come to mind, but since they just fired a throws coach??
        Used to be there were many great coaches (and athletes) in CA Juco system, waiting to move up to university level.

Comment

I'm thinking a big hire for "director of track"; both programs

Comment

Being a public school, the base salaries of UCLA employees are public information. Venegas made $94,363 in 2008-09.

I suspect they'll have to do a lot better than that to get a big time name.

http://www.sacbee.com/statepay/

Comment

Originally posted by gh
              Gh,
              Is this just a gut feeling, guesstimate or ... have you heard something?

There are many of us who are dying to know what is going on. Any info you have, please share.

Comment

Originally posted by balzonia
                Being a public school, the base salaries of UCLA employees are public information. Venegas made $94,363 in 2008-09.

That seems low for a school like UCLA. Was there additional money paid from other channels?

For example, if you look up the big time college football coaching salaries usually their official state employee salary is <$200K but they get an additional $2M+ paid by boosters.

Comment

Originally posted by Cooter Brown
                  For example, if you look up the big time college football coaching salaries usually their official state employee salary is <$200K but they get an additional $2M+ paid by boosters.
                  Really? There's a number of D1 coaches who make well over $1 Mil, paid by the school. Typically they make more than the University President (for whom they presumably work).

Comment

Originally posted by Marlow
                    [Really? There's a number of D1 coaches who make well over $1 Mil, paid by the school. Typically they make more than the University President (for whom they presumably work).
                    Perhaps Cooter is referring to the difference between being paid directly by the Univ and being paid by the athletic department's corporate arm, which is often a distinct entity from the U.

Comment

Originally posted by Cooter Brown
                      Originally posted by balzonia

That seems low for a school like UCLA. Was there additional money paid from other channels?

And he's making that salary after 28 years of service to UCLA. A pretty incredible bargain, really.

Keep in mind this is the reported "gross pay" from UCLA based enterprises. My understanding from friends who are employees in that system is that UC salaries reported to the public should include any booster money (if the $$ went to UCLA first and was earmarked) and also, presumably, UCLA camps.

Now any private enterprise money (for example if Godina paid him for his expertise during his post collegiate career) would not be included. But he hasn't had an earner since Godina. (I don't know if he is coaching J. Cosby but I doubt she's making a living as a thrower no matter how good she is... Female HT has to be about the lowest "paying" event in track and field)

Look up UCLA vault coach Anthony Curran on that public report link and you'll see a distinct difference in gross pay and contract pay. His discrepancy (about $40k) is accounted for presumably by boosters or camp monies. Venegas' discrepancy was about $3k.

If they are looking "big time" replacement, it will cost them big $$. Don't know how well that would sit given California's economy. GH probably knows better than I, but it wouldn't surprise me, at all, if they went after a "well proven but first time head coach" type, i.e. Babbitt.

Babbitt has insane organizational skills and brain power, a great history with foreign and domestic athletes (necessary in this day and age), a UCLA pedigree, an appreciation and understanding of all the events, and international experience. If he's willing to move his family to LA, he is the obvious choice.

Just a guess...

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                        J. Bolden is the wild card...

Comment

Working...
                        X