Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any TC updates?

Any of you track geeks know if Tyler Christopher has any meets planned or has he run somewhere in the past week ?

I am not a track geek so don't spend my time searching for this stuff.... :wink:

He only has another couple of weeks to get the A standard... maybe he has packed it in for the season?

Re: Any TC updates?

Originally posted by mojo
    Any of you track geeks know if Tyler Christopher has any meets planned or has he run somewhere in the past week ?

I am not a track geek so don't spend my time searching for this stuff.... :wink:

He only has another couple of weeks to get the A standard... maybe he has packed it in for the season?
    Tyler Christopher got hurt at the Canadian Championships and I believe that he's done for the season.

Comment

Well "hurt" is debatable but I wouldn't be surprised if he ended the season.

Comment

Well "hurt" is debatable but I wouldn't be surprised if he ended the season.
        Well, if he's not hurt and not running in Europe - what's going on?
        Is he mulling a move to the UK himself?

Comment

Originally posted by Per Andersen
          Well, if he's not hurt and not running in Europe - what's going on?
          Slumping Olympian says his woes are all mental after he limps out of 400m final at nationals

Originally posted by On June 29th 'The Star' newspaper
          The key would still appear to be whether he can turn things around mentally.

As Athletics Canada head coach Alex Gardiner noted of Christopher: "Physically, he's there with anyone in the world. But the game at that level is not physical."

Comment

That article pretty well sums up what I have heard from people who were trying to help Tyler get motivated this year.

I feel sorry for him in some ways. I just wish he would always be as honest as he was in that article.
            His tendency to play the victim and to diss other Canadian athletes wins him little sympathy.
            If he is burnt out etc. and having a hard time dealing with the pressure that is understandable. Big time athleteics seems to be a pressure cooker few of us could handle. (okay every one here would never lose or have a bad day :wink: )I am in awe of those who stay at the top year after year.

I really wonder if he will return to the sport. If not I wish him the best and if he does I hope he finds a coaching situation that suits him.

Comment

That article pretty well sums up what I have heard from people who were trying to help Tyler get motivated this year.

I feel sorry for him in some ways. I just wish he would always be as honest as he was in that article.
              His tendency to play the victim and to diss other Canadian athletes wins him little sympathy.
              If he is burnt out etc. and having a hard time dealing with the pressure that is understandable. Big time athleteics seems to be a pressure cooker few of us could handle. (okay every one here would never lose or have a bad day :wink: )I am in awe of those who stay at the top year after year.

I really wonder if he will return to the sport. If not I wish him the best and if he does I hope he finds a coaching situation that suits him.
              This reminds me of a thread last year where Andrew Rock was taken to the cleaners by some posters for essentially saying that he was having panic attacks before races, which obviously made him consider his future in the sport. It's odd to me that a lot of people find it easy to dismiss the amount of stress and mental fatigue such an elite career takes out of a person. Even though I find a lot of his behavior to be beyond excuse, I wish him the best.

Comment

So does this mean he can still run for Canada if he gets his act together, even though he didn't run in their Championship final? :shock:

Comment

Originally posted by poodabear
                  So does this mean he can still run for Canada if he gets his act together, even though he didn't run in their Championship final? :shock:

He has no 'A' standard in 2009, which is part of the selection criteria. 2008 'A' standards don't count in Canada.

Comment

I hope you aren't lumping me in with people who are harsh on athletes who have problems with the pressure nbonaddio.
                    I have a lot of sympathy for those athletes.

Comment

I hope you aren't lumping me in with people who are harsh on athletes who have problems with the pressure nbonaddio.
                      I have a lot of sympathy for those athletes.
                      Nope! I'm not a name namer, but either way, you weren't one of them.

I do hope TC gets his head on straight, and his attitude in the right place. The story about him no-showing in the relay was appalling.

Comment

But does he have to stay in Edmonton? It's tough for him, he lost two coaches in 1/2 year. If he needs more inspiration can't he go somewhere else?

I think Mojo might be right in hinting at Tyler being ready to pack it in.

Comment

I imagine TC ,like any othe athlete who made it to the top echelons of a sport, would really miss the money and the lifestyle.

It would be very difficult to train and more importantly compete in track and field only for money. I suppose it can be done but it seems to be it is one of those things where passion and inner drive are what provide the will to win. Kinda hard to put your body through all that punishment when your head and heart aren't really into it.

Just rambling.....

Comment

I imagine TC ,like any othe athlete who made it to the top echelons of a sport, would really miss the money and the lifestyle.

It would be very difficult to train and more importantly compete in track and field only for money. I suppose it can be done but it seems to be it is one of those things where passion and inner drive are what provide the will to win. Kinda hard to put your body through all that punishment when your head and heart aren't really into it.

Just rambling.....
                            I was just reading an older article about Shane Niemi, who said that it was very difficult to find joy in the sport given the resources of Athletics Canada and apparently missing out on three OGs. He is a bit before my time, but were these comments justified? I'm personally curious because Niemi is definitely a Finnish surname.

Comment

Shane was a definite talent and I am sure he did feel pretty discouraged. Things have improved since he competed. Tyler has certainly received more support than Shane did.
                              I will never forget watching Shane run at the BC HS Champs- a man among boys! :shock:

And another great from Kamloops ala Reed and Armstrong.

Comment

Working...
                              X