Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gay to skip Bolt clash in London

Just as I reported last week. I expected Tyson's camp to do this.

================================================== ===========

Gay to skip Bolt clash in London
    Eurosport - Mon, 13 Jul 15:24:00 2009

Reigning world champion Tyson Gay has dodged a 100 metres showdown with Olympic champion Usain Bolt, instead opting to compete over 200m at the Aviva Grand Prix later this month.

More StoriesMore than the Games
    Gay runs fastest 100m of year
    ..Gay is the quickest man over both 100m and 200m this season, and will defend both titles, as well as the 4x100m relay, at the World Championships in Berlin.

The 26-year-old American clocked a world leading 9.77 seconds at the Golden League meet in Rome earlier this month, while triple Olympic gold medallist Bolt's best is 9.86 secs.

But rather than race Bolt in Crystal Palace, Gay has chosen to focus on the 200m and save his long-awaited clash with the Jamaican until Berlin.

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/13072009/ ... ondon.html
    Cows need love too

I didnt expect them to be racing, like always the big show down is avoided (not good for the sport).

Comment

Re: Gay to skip Bolt clash in London

Originally posted by jamaicantrackfan
      Gay is the quickest man over both 100m and 200m this season, and will defend both titles, as well as the 4x100m relay, at the World Championships in Berlin.
      Significant info.

Comment

Originally posted by Marlow
        Gay is the quickest man over both 100m and 200m this season, and will defend both titles, as well as the 4x100m relay, at the World Championships in Berlin.
        Significant info.
        indeed :wink:

Comment

Jammin,

Remember in 2007 when you said Gay was dodging someone..........remember the final results. I like when you do things like this.

Comment

Originally posted by guruof track
            Jammin,

Remember in 2007 when you said Gay was dodging someone..........remember the final results. I like when you do things like this.
            Are you also remembering that Powell and Bolt are not the same person?

Comment

Originally posted by track_expert
              I didnt expect them to be racing, like always the big show down is avoided (not good for the sport).
              After Tyson ran 19.58 in NY at the end of May, there was alot of talk about a possible matchup in London since that meet is one of the more lucrative meets in terms of appearance fees.

Bolt was confirmed for London months ago and it was only for Tyson to decide to run in the 100m there if he wanted to challenge Bolt.

My gut is telling me that Tyson did not want to go into Berlin with a possible loss thus no 100m in London for him.
              Cows need love too

Comment

LOL.... Don't compare Asafa Powell to Usain Bolt!! Also, 2007 is not 2009!

It's official... GAY is dodging BOLT! He will get his beat down in BERLIN, there is no where to hide at World Championships!

I guess he's saying two will be enough!

Comment

Originally posted by Marlow
                  Significant info.
                  Not significant at all.

Bolt
                  3 Gold medal, 3 World Records in Beijing. Now that's significant
                  Cows need love too

Comment

Any plausibility that Mr. Gay has not yet recovered accordingly following these immensely tough races? A hard 100m might dull his legs at this point and provide an inability to draw from those needed reserves in Berlin. This does not make running 200m easier than running 100m, because it is twice the distance, of which nearly half is run at a speed faster than his 100m. However, the 200m would be less explosive on Gay than a straight 100m a few weeks before his opening round in Berlin.

Gay risks his ability to pull through when it counts next month if this postulation is true.
                    Fire Impossible.

Comment

Originally posted by Sportsfanx1
                      LOL.... Don't compare Asafa Powell to Usain Bolt!! Also, 2007 is not 2009!

It's official... GAY is dodging BOLT! He will get his beat down in BERLIN, there is no where to hide at World Championships!

I guess he's saying two will be enough!

Totally agree. The yanks are just in denial.No problem however.

Bolt will reign supreme in Berlin.
                      Cows need love too

Comment

Originally posted by 3
                        Any plausibility that Mr. Gay has not yet recovered accordingly following these immensely tough races? A hard 100m might dull his legs at this point and provide an inability to draw from those needed reserves in Berlin. This does not make running 200m easier than running 100m, because it is twice the distance, of which nearly half is run at a speed faster than his 100m. However, the 200m would be less explosive on Gay than a straight 100m a few weeks before his opening round in Berlin.

Gay risks his ability to pull through when it counts next month if this postulation is true.
                        You guys are just ridiculous/naive making up excuses for Tyson. Tyson never had any intention of racing Bolt before Berlin in the first place.

He knew he could easily knock off Asafa in Rome that's why that matchup materialized.
                        Cows need love too

Comment

Bolt will reign supreme in Berlin.
                          OK - Next topic...

Comment

Originally posted by 3

It takes a 10 day regeneration period to recover from a near world record effort (absolute maximum capacity for a 9.7 runner), in fact it is required before a taper to run at maximum effort just 10 days out.

He is choosing the 200m as further speed endurance work, which I dont feel should be his concern right now...

Comment

Now we wonder why track and field is in such of a doldrum. Big name athletes(like Tyson) refuse to race against their primary competitors unless there is a championship setting.

Reminds me of Tyson in 2007. Beat Asafa in the WC and then called it a season afterwards versus having a post WC matchup.

After Bolt ran the 9.76 at the Jamaica Invitational in 2008, he specifically wen to the NY Grand Prix to race Tyson over 100. Bolt break the WR there and we know what happened in Beijing.

Bolt and his camp have made it very clear(more than once) that they will race ANY athlete at any time.
                              Cows need love too

Comment

Working...
                              X