Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What happens to Alan webb now?

He didnt make the World team,but the Olympics is coming up in 2012..I think he should change coaches while he still can. Will he ever get close to his PR?

Re: What happens to Alan webb now?

Originally posted by williamwindhamjr
    He didnt make the World team,but the Olympics is coming up in 2012..I think he should change coaches while he still can. Will he ever get close to his PR?
    Novel thesis.

Comment

Mr. Webb is a quarter of the way into the next Olympic cycle, with this season appearing to not have the capacity to furnish personal records over any distance from 800m to the mile.

I would recommend a systematic approach next season with a move up to the 5k.

2010 (half way through the Olympic cycle) will be the third straight year without global finals for Mr. Webb in his tumultuous career. What he may have learned and benefited from in 2007 will be less and less applicable in his next available window, 2011.

Moving up to the 5k will allow Mr. Webb to use that magnificent speed endurance from 800m to the 10k in the 5k, test his ability to hang on a comparatively easy pace and find greater success kicking over the final lap, two or three of a race run at a slower pace than his 800m/mile.

There is no shame in attempting to win medals in any Olympic distance, whether or not it is your primarary and most enjoyable one.
      Fire Impossible.

Comment

Originally posted by 3
        Mr. Webb is a quarter of the way into the next Olympic cycle, with this season appearing to not have the capacity to furnish personal records over any distance from 800m to the mile.

2010 (half way through the Olympic cycle) will be the third straight year without global finals for Mr. Webb in his tumultuous career. What he may have learned and benefited from in 2007 will be less and less applicable in his next available window, 2011.

Moving up to the 5k will allow Mr. Webb to use that magnificent speed endurance from 800m to the 10k in the 5k, test his ability to hang on a comparatively easy pace and find greater success kicking over the final lap, two or three of a race run at a slower pace than his 800m/mile.

There is no shame in attempting to win medals in any Olympic distance, whether or not it is your primarary and most enjoyable one.
        I agree

Comment

Originally posted by knite
          Originally posted by 3

I agree
          It is conceivable now that Webb may finish his career without either a WC or Olympic medal. He will be the first 3:46 miler to accomplish this dubious feat.
          Still, he may come back and run a few more sub 3:50 miles, which right now looks improbable. He can't be this mediocre for much longer.

For the time being get used to Webb as a 3:55 miler. We may not even see Webb break 3:35 for the 1500 until next year. It is not that US 1500 meter runners are getting any faster, but an illustration on how bad Webb has slumped.

Comment

Are there ANY interviews with Mr. Webb this year?

I certainly know there's no shortage of opinion on these boards, but I don't recall Allan commenting on his struggles directly. Seems like he would probably have some input.

I think the coach change would obviously be a wise move.

Comment

Originally posted by BCBaroo

I certainly know there's no shortage of opinion on these boards, but I don't recall Allan commenting on his struggles directly. Seems like he would probably have some input.

The issue of Webb switching coaches has been discussed before. At letsrun you see this topic discussed weekly. The issue here is inside Webb's mind, and nothing to do with his coach.

Comment

Originally posted by 15mph
                Originally posted by BCBaroo

The issue of Webb switching coaches has been discussed before. At letsrun you see this topic discussed weekly. The issue here is inside Webb's mind, and nothing to do with his coach.
                Lord knows you see it (coaching change) discussed here. It's right up there with Wariner running the 800 and the crime against humanity that are the 1600/3200 meter distances.

But how can you separate Webb's mind from the impact a coach can have? Coaches do a little more than just assign workouts as I recall.

Comment

I have NO idea what's best for him, but I would love for him to try the Coghlan-Liquori-Spivey (et al) thing and move up to the 5000 now. I think he'd be less injury-prone and have fewer opportunities for 'tactical errors'.

Comment

Originally posted by Marlow
                    I have NO idea what's best for him, but I would love for him to try the Coghlan-Liquori-Spivey (et al) thing and move up to the 5000 now. I think he'd be less injury-prone and have fewer opportunities for 'tactical errors'.
                    Coghlan/Liquori, yes, but not Spivey. Spivey's career ran the other way, from the 5000 to the 1500.

The only year in which Spivey ran championship 5000s was '83, when he was 2nd at TAC, ran the heats of the WCh, and PRed, with his last 5000 coming in '86. Aside from that he was a miler, and his WCh bronze came in '87, with his PRs in '88 (1500) and '86 (mile).

Comment

Didn't Spivey run the 5000 in Atlanta?

Edit: Yes. Fourth at the Trials, ran in the OG on basis of having the A w/ a 13:24 in Stockholm between OT and OG.

Comment

I believe Spivey's 5000 PR was 13:15 from Berlin in 1994. He then finished 4th in the 1995 USATF Champs and 4th in the 1996 Olympic Trials. After OT 3rd placer Ronnie Harris narrowly missed the 'A' standard of 13:29.00 (running 13:29.xx in Hengelo), Spivey ran 13:24 in Stockholm to qualify for his third Olympic team.

Originally posted by dj
                        Originally posted by Marlow
                        Coghlan/Liquori, yes, but not Spivey. Spivey's career ran the other way, from the 5000 to the 1500.

The only year in which Spivey ran championship 5000s was '83, when he was 2nd at TAC, ran the heats of the WCh, and PRed, with his last 5000 coming in '86. Aside from that he was a miler, and his WCh bronze came in '87, with his PRs in '88 (1500) and '86 (mile).

Comment

Re Spivey at Atlanta 96: The 5000 was run in 3 rounds. He advanced to the semifinal by finishing 9th (13:53) in the 2nd of the 3 opening round races. That was the fastest of the three heats. In the semi, he was in the 2nd race (the slower of the two, by quite a bit), and finished 13th, in 14:27, thus not qualifying for the final. He was 36 yo at the time -- the oldest by a few years among all the competitors in this event at the 96 OG.

Though the pattern of Spivey's 1500-5000 career in relation to some other examples is a bit different, he is still a relevant example to consider when thinking about how Webb's career could possibly develop beyond this year, regarding the possibility of moving up in distance.

I have not seen any interviews w Webb regarding this year, but earlier this week I read a small interview published in the July (I think) issue of Running Times. The comments were pre-OT, and mostly focused on reflections on 2007 and 2008, leading into the 2009 outdoor season. I don't have the interview at hand, but what suprised me was the approach taken to prepare for 2008, after what was really a very successful (in my view) 2007 season. In the last lap of the 07 WC, he was in a position to medal, but simply was outrun in the last 200m. As that race, and the 07 season ended, I thought that it had been a very long, very successful, and very intense season for him, and perhaps he was just very slightly "overdone" at the time of the WC final so that he lacked that bit of speed at that moment that he clearly had earlier in the season. I recognize that what looks like great success to me might likely have been great disappointment for him. The reason I state these things is because I was surprised to read in the RT interview his remarks about how he approached the preparation for the 08 season, based on the experience of the 07 season. He remarked in the RT interview that, coming into 08, he increased basically every element of his training -- total volume, intensity, volume of high intensity training, strength training -- and by the time of the OT he had been injured and was perhaps overdone at that point. This approach to 08 seems to me now, a naive outsider with the additional benefit of hindsight, to be a peculiar way for the athlete and his coach to interpret the successes and "failures" of the 07 season. It seems as if he/they looked at 07 and determined that he hadn't been prepared enough. It looked to me -- without of course knowing the details -- that he had been very well prepared in 07, and perhaps only committed the "error" that so many athletes commit -- carrying on the peak of a season a bit longer than the body can sustain it. But he came very close to getting it exactly right that year, and so the approach to 08 struck me as not recognizing that the approach to 07 had been nearly ideal. Finally, in the Rt interview, Webb observed that he was approaching the 09 season somewhat more reasonably than the approach to 08 -- but in all of this, I got the impression, again, that the successful approach to 07 had been lost along the way

I offer these remarks knowing that I truly do not know what it is like to be in the position of Webb or some other elite. I do not offer them as criticisms, but rather as the puzzlements of a very supportive fan who appreciates Webb's great talent and wishes him the best.

Comment

Wow we've slid a bit on this topic.....

So about Webb....

Comment

I think until Webb career is done, there will be this speculation about what he should or shouldn't do, in particular until/if, he were to win a major meet medal.
                              on the road

Comment

Working...
                              X