Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Clark and Willard in Paris 800m, Vessey and Rowbury too?

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 26mi235
    replied
    Jelimo 1:59.59 for the win ahead of Sinclair, 2:00.77, Uceny, and Gall.

Leave a comment:

• dal4018
    replied
    Originally posted by knite
    Originally posted by dal4018
    Too bad Jelimo isn't in this race.
    She may not be fit yet...have you been paying attention to the season so far?
    Yes I heard about her not being ready to run to her capability.

Leave a comment:

• Marlow
    replied
    Originally posted by James Fields
    Scant discussion here so far about the other two USA entrants in this race whose names appear in thread's title: USA 1500m champion Shannon Rowbury -- and 2008 USOT steeplechase winner Anna Willard whose 800m time this season is best of the Paris event's start list.
    And Willard it is, with a Vesseyesque finish AND a sub-2 time!

Leave a comment:

• knite
    replied
    Re: Paris start list, W800m

[quote=Non Potest]
    Originally posted by "James Fields":tqky1brp
    "Start list shows Clark and Willard but heard Vessey and Rowbury will be competing in 800m as well. Any truth to that?"

http://www.meetingareva.com/resultats/?language=uk

Stade de France ---- Friday, 17 July 2009
    Women's 800m Run with season bests
    CLARK Hazel ---------------------- 02.00.09
    WILLARD Anna ------------------- 01.59.29
    VESSEY Maggie ------------------- 02.00.13
    TSYGANOVA Natalya ------------- 02.03.26
    ROWBURY Shannon USA -------- 02.01.03
    ROSTKOWSKA Anna -------------- 02.00.57
    OKORO Marilyn -------------------- 02.00.04
    KLOCOVA Lucia -------------------- 02.00.56
    GUEGAN Elodie -------------------- 01.59.79
    CUSMA PICCIONE Elisa ---------- 01.59.53
    ZBROZHEK Oksana --------------- 02.01.24

Total runners: 11
    The Americans smelling blood in this event ?? and I can't say I blame them the way the Kenyans have looked this season. After Vesseys surprise last time out we now have all of four (4) Americans facing the starter . Just a couple days ago we had some individuals complaining that there wern't enough Americans racing on the circuit in middle distance events, now we have a flood in the womens 800m. Anyone care to call this one, looks like a toss up but I am backing Okoro.[/quote:tqky1brp]

Those are the only ones who have consistently been competing. We are talking all distances, might I add. 1500m'/3K/5K ESPECIALLY on the men's side of the house, Lagat is the only performing regularly, then you have KD who just dropped a 1:44x, so that bids well. Symmonds 1st trip in Europe a 1:46....only a few more meets though before going back to train b4 WC's.

Leave a comment:

• Non Potest
    replied
    Re: Paris start list, W800m

Originally posted by James Fields
    "Start list shows Clark and Willard but heard Vessey and Rowbury will be competing in 800m as well. Any truth to that?"

http://www.meetingareva.com/resultats/?language=uk

Stade de France ---- Friday, 17 July 2009
    Women's 800m Run with season bests
    CLARK Hazel ---------------------- 02.00.09
    WILLARD Anna ------------------- 01.59.29
    VESSEY Maggie ------------------- 02.00.13
    TSYGANOVA Natalya ------------- 02.03.26
    ROWBURY Shannon USA -------- 02.01.03
    ROSTKOWSKA Anna -------------- 02.00.57
    OKORO Marilyn -------------------- 02.00.04
    KLOCOVA Lucia -------------------- 02.00.56
    GUEGAN Elodie -------------------- 01.59.79
    CUSMA PICCIONE Elisa ---------- 01.59.53
    ZBROZHEK Oksana --------------- 02.01.24

Total runners: 11
    The Americans smelling blood in this event ?? and I can't say I blame them the way the Kenyans have looked this season. After Vesseys surprise last time out we now have all of four (4) Americans facing the starter . Just a couple days ago we had some individuals complaining that there wern't enough Americans racing on the circuit in middle distance events, now we have a flood in the womens 800m. Anyone care to call this one, looks like a toss up but I am backing Okoro.

Leave a comment:

• jjimbojames
    replied
    Originally posted by knite
    She's back in action in Heusden Saturday (18th) - guess she wanted a low-key race, to test that fitness...

As for Paris, think Okoro will want a fast time too - she has a point to prove after her disastrous run at the UK trials, and is only number 3 in the UK at the moment :shock:

Leave a comment:

• knite
    replied

Leave a comment:

• dal4018
    replied

Leave a comment:

• James Fields
    replied
    Scant discussion here so far about the other two USA entrants in this race whose names appear in thread's title: USA 1500m champion Shannon Rowbury -- and 2008 USOT steeplechase winner Anna Willard whose 800m time this season is best of the Paris event's start list. Both have won national championships with fast finishes.

Leave a comment:

• knite
    replied
    I actually think Clark is aiming at better race fitness toward Berlin, so she should be ready to go sub 2:00.0, she's taken most of her races out this yr regardless of who's in the field. Given that she doesn't ahve too much time left at global championships, I hope to see her run a nice time.

Leave a comment:

• Ruth Wysocki
    replied
    Keep in mind that the season best for European runners can be a little more deceiving than for Americans. Many Americans start their racing season much earlier than other countries. So, you might see some of these gals are really ready to go in Paris.

Leave a comment:

• 26mi235
    replied
    Originally posted by 3
    Ms. Vessey, however, may have trouble if she runs to what has become her signature wait and move at the last minute if the field doesn't reach its capability. The crew itself however is one which can help her break 2 minutes.
    I think it would be easier if instead of SBs of 2 1:59s, some 2:00s and 2:01/2:02s, these numbers were at least a second faster. Of course, if Vessey's number were a little faster she would have a 1:59.

What I do not know about these SBs is how many of them were garnered winning or almost winning races [making them 'better quality'] and how many were pulled along [a bit lesser quality]. Of course, since there have been few fast races this year, maybe many of these 1:59/2:00 SBs are high-quality, implying that the field is a bit better than the list of SBs would make it appear.

Leave a comment:

replied
    poster "26mi235", I believe your first argument was that this field wasn't exactly capable of bringing Ms. Vessey that coveted 2 minute race. Your secondary point was that if Ms. Vessey relegates herself to donkey chasing, she'll have a difficult time making a run at the barrier separating her from the world championships. The field is capable of running under 2 minutes, though whether or not some or most of them run under it remains to be seen; if you've broken 2 minutes, do you not have the capability of doing it again?

Ms. Vessey, however, may have trouble if she runs to what has become her signature wait and move at the last minute if the field doesn't reach its capability. The crew itself however is one which can help her break 2 minutes.

Leave a comment:

• Marlow
    replied
    Originally posted by 26mi235
    If Vessey hangs behind the pack a bunch and the bunch does not go much below 60/90, it will be difficult to come from far back and go under 2:00.
    She subscribes to the Borza school of fame and glory. Even if she doesn't win, her furious finishes look awesome and get people to talk about her, invest some emotional energy into her, and ultimately get locked into a love/hate relationship, where they always think THIS is the race where she'll stay close enough to win gloriously, only to have their hopes dashed once again by a kick that comes tantalizingly close, but just falls short! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Leave a comment:

• 26mi235
    replied
    Only two in the field have run under 2 this year (if we had a 1:54 runner from last year would you be saying that is her potential for this race?), and those two have just barely done so. If Vessey hangs behind the pack a bunch and the bunch does not go much below 60/90, it will be difficult to come from far back and go under 2:00.

However, she may not have more confidence and have learned from he error of staying way too far back at USATF, so I am not counting her out completely. In fact, I think she is may be the most likely one in the race to win, having won two big-league races this year (even if they were not filled to the brim with athletes in shape THIS year).

Leave a comment:

Working...
X