Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greene 52 Powell 51

Asafa Powell became 2nd man with 50 lifetime sub 10.00 seconds 100 meters performances at Rome last week. It took him just six years to do this.

He's now one behind Maurice Greene for all-time record. Greene took 8 years.

Greene:

1997 = 8
    1998 = 8
    1999 = 9
    2000 = 6
    2001 = 7
    2002 = 5
    2003 = 1
    2004 = 8

Powell:

2004 = 9
    2005 = 4
    2006 = 12
    2007 = 8
    2008 = 15 *
    2009 = 3

* single season record

Powell also has record 25 sub 9.90s. Only 3 other men have that many lifetime sub-10s.

He's still got plenty of races in him this season, plus i reckon 2-3 more years running very quickly and hopefully he will carry on competing untill he's old and keep running sub 10's till he's well into his 30's. May as well get a very impressive number of sub 10's.

Comment

Isnt Greene at 53? Regardless Powell will give 2 more 9.8s by end of this month.

Comment

We al know the difference here. In those 8 years we have 3 World golds, an olympic gold and bronze medals, and complete dominance of the event. In 2000 I believe he went undefeated too.

Asafa will run far more than than Mo has run, that has never been a question to me. Asafa is a time machine. He clicks them off in all fashion and all conditions. Not sure if he has years left in him but he has this year and we will see some spectacular times before he rides off into the sunset

Comment

Originally posted by Smoke
          We al know the difference here. In those 8 years we have 3 World golds, an olympic gold and bronze medals, and complete dominance of the event. In 2000 I believe he went undefeated too.

Asafa will run far more than than Mo has run, that has never been a question to me. Asafa is a time machine. He clicks them off in all fashion and all conditions. Not sure if he has years left in him but he has this year and we will see some spectacular times before he rides off into the sunset
          He's a tenth ahead of where he was last year at this point, i dont see him slowing down one bit... if he stays injury free a mid 9.6 is a definite.

Comment

asafa could be the first man that run 100 times under 10 if he stays healthy ......this year he should drop 57to60 subs...knowing that the man is only 27 i believe he has 6 years left and if greene ran 9 years under 10 why not him ...guys remember that christie ran a sub at 37years old ??? so why not asafa ?
            DO YOUR BEST!!!

Comment

Originally posted by track_expert
              i dont see him slowing down one bit... if he stays injury free a mid 9.6 is a definite.
              That's just what I was thinking. I definitely think he can get faster, if he has the will. He SEEMS complacent, but he can't be, to have gotten this far. I think Bolt, Gay, Powell (and Dix!!!) are all capable of 9.6s! :shock:

Comment

Originally posted by doctor sprint
                asafa could be the first man that run 100 times under 10 if he stays healthy ......this year he should drop 57to60 subs...knowing that the man is only 27 i believe he has 6 years left and if greene ran 9 years under 10 why not him ...guys remember that christie ran a sub at 37years old ??? so why not asafa ?
                Christie was only 35 when he ran his last sub 10. Still impressive as hell though.

Comment

I don't know exactly what all of this means, by that I mean the all-time mark for sub 10's.....I mean really 10.01, 10 flat is speed, just like a 9.9.

I would venture to say, that Asafa would trade ALL those sub 10's for a major gold, including his W/R times.
                  on the road

Comment

Originally posted by Speedfirst
                    I don't know exactly what all of this means, by that I mean the all-time mark for sub 10's.....I mean really 10.01, 10 flat is speed, just like a 9.9.

I would venture to say, that Asafa would trade ALL those sub 10's for a major gold, including his W/R times.
                    I doubt he'd trade careers with Kim Collins and that's a major gold AND a handful of high 9.9s.

Comment

Using the IAAF All-Time Top List, Maurice Greene has 53 sub-10 clockings.
                      Regards,
                      toyracer

Comment

The IAAF lists include the following performance for Greene:

9.88 1qf2 Edmonton 4-Aug-2001.

Notice there is no wind-reading reported. That's because this was part of the set of qualifying rounds with faulty wind gauge and possibly (probably?) wind-aided.

This mark should NOT be a legit sub-10.00 for Greene. He has 52 lifetime wind-legal marks.

Comment

Originally posted by Fielding Melish
                          The IAAF lists include the following performance for Greene:

9.88 1qf2 Edmonton 4-Aug-2001.

Notice there is no wind-reading reported. That's because this was part of the set of qualifying rounds with faulty wind gauge and possibly (probably?) wind-aided.

This mark should NOT be a legit sub-10.00 for Greene. He has 52 lifetime wind-legal marks.
                          As I recall, the gauge reading was something like -5.5m/s. Certainly unbelievable.

Comment

Your recollection of this 8yr old fact is exceptional.

Five hours later, he did. Running into what was probably a slight headwind -- more on that later—Olympic gold medalist Greene won his quarter-final in a stunning 9.88, eased up and beating Boldon, the Olympic silver medalist, by almost two meters. It was only nine one-hundredths off his own world record of 9.79 -- and this into a 5.1 metres/second headwind!

Using accepted figures developed by the respected Dr. Jesus Da Pena of Indiana University, that would equate to a 9.54 hundred metres with no wind.

Was it too good to be true? Of course. Turns out that there was some sort of malfunction in the wind gauge—what you might call “a bitch of a glitch” -- and the wind readings in the 100 quarter-finals were erroneous.
                            Fire Impossible.

Comment

Originally posted by Marlow
                              Originally posted by track_expert
                              i dont see him slowing down one bit... if he stays injury free a mid 9.6 is a definite.
                              That's just what I was thinking. I definitely think he can get faster, if he has the will. He SEEMS complacent, but he can't be, to have gotten this far. I think Bolt, Gay, Powell (and Dix!!!) are all capable of 9.6s! :shock:
                              It's not neccesarily a matter of being "faster" by what the word means, for example he went 9.72 with 0.2 wind, though being a "if" he would have gone 9.65 given a near 2m tailwind. So he had it there for sure, just not getting absolute best conditions.
                              Had he gone through a entire uninjured prep. his overall race would have him at a 9.62-9.63 given a near 2m/s tailwind.

Unfortunately, when one is always ready to go, the conditions may not cooperate. If powell gets his 9.72 top speed, 0.102 reaction he goes earlier in the season, and does enough work for his finish, and 2m/s tailwind, he will run a INCREDIBLE time. Much like Montgomery's 9.78 (0.104 reaction + 2m/s tailwind).

Comment

Working...
                              X