Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

does racing Powell in Stockholm mean Mr. Gay isnt ducking?

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gordon18
    Originally posted by justblaze1011
    I ain't never seen a athlete do what Asafa does with injuries!!! I can only ASSUME that he's beyond 85% health wise after running 9.88.

I think if timed right, he can win that 100m comes Berlin. He knows his time is running out and I believe many will be excited to see Asafa get that gold medal, I would be, thats for sure.
    yea same, i really hope he can get over whaever happens to him at the major finals, i would be glad if he won, also if Tyson won, he's a very humble guy, you kinda want him to do good when you watch him race. Since im British, i can't be bias because we have no-one to really get any medals. well we do have Chambers lol
    LOL...Chambers just fell under the pressure to perform and run fast times no matter what, still, its no excuse, but never the less, lets see what he does.

As for Asafa, its just mind blowing that a man of his talents can do what he does with injuries. I still and truly believe that in the 100m, there are three guys that can win it...but if they catch Powell on day when he's on fire.... :shock:

Comment

I refuse to count out Powell either.
      I can't be sure what he'll bring but if he brings his best he'll be tough to beat.
      Surely, one day he must perform up to his potential in a big event?

Comment

Originally posted by track_expert
        Originally posted by 26mi235
        Originally posted by Speedfirst
        One of area's of Tyson's race which in my opinion is the key point of the race, is his top end speed going into maintenance. This part of his race is superior to Asafa's and has been over the last couple of seasons.
        Is it better top-end speed or maintaining speed that matters most in the relative strengths of Gay and AP (running wise, competition wise, Gay is a great competitor in rounds).

I am also a bit concerned with AP's injury and whether he is putting too much strain on other parts of his body as a result. However, these are guesses and are beyond my sprint pay grade.
        It's mainly speed maintenance
        Not really, you can see when Tyson is at top end and his maintenance has improved no question. With respect to Bolt, the thing that stands out the most about his 100m, is his 41 strides, amazing.
        on the road

Comment

Originally posted by 26mi235
          One of area's of Tyson's race which in my opinion is the key point of the race, is his top end speed going into maintenance. This part of his race is superior to Asafa's and has been over the last couple of seasons.
          Is it better top-end speed or maintaining speed that matters most in the relative strengths of Gay and AP (running wise, competition wise, Gay is a great competitor in rounds).

I am also a bit concerned with AP's injury and whether he is putting too much strain on other parts of his body as a result. However, these are guesses and are beyond my sprint pay grade.
          It's mainly speed maintenance
          Not really, you can see when Tyson is at top end and his maintenance has improved no question. With respect to Bolt, the thing that stands out the most about his 100m, is his 41 strides, amazing.
          The analysis I read in Osaka was that Asafa reached a higher peak maximum velocity than Tyson did and Tyson passed him due to less decceleration.
          Should be pretty obvious if you watch at around the 60m mark, and when Tyson is passing him he isnt accelerating anymore obviously.

Comment

I have watched and analyzed that race quite often, that particular race is really not a good race to make a claim for Asafa. Tyson at the point you're speaking of (60m), wasn't in maintenance yet, Asafa was and part of Asafa's problem that day is he tried to speed up once he decelerated, thus him slower down faster, getting pasted by Atkins as a result.
            on the road

Comment

I ain't never seen a athlete do what Asafa does with injuries!!! I can only ASSUME that he's beyond 85% health wise after running 9.88.

I think if timed right, he can win that 100m comes Berlin. He knows his time is running out and I believe many will be excited to see Asafa get that gold medal, I would be, thats for sure.
              yea same, i really hope he can get over whaever happens to him at the major finals, i would be glad if he won, also if Tyson won, he's a very humble guy, you kinda want him to do good when you watch him race. Since im British, i can't be bias because we have no-one to really get any medals. well we do have Chambers lol
              LOL...Chambers just fell under the pressure to perform and run fast times no matter what, still, its no excuse, but never the less, lets see what he does.

As for Asafa, its just mind blowing that a man of his talents can do what he does with injuries. I still and truly believe that in the 100m, there are three guys that can win it...but if they catch Powell on day when he's on fire.... :shock:
              yeah no doubt, the only reason i would favour gay over powell at champs is because of powell history at champs, Gay can deliver, i just hope powell can, usain is my favourite now, but i know that upsets can easily happen, and races don't always go by math

Comment

Originally posted by knite
                Asafa is healthier than many claim.

9.88 says so, and the fact that he's raced so much in the last month.

Tyson hasn't run enough to suggest that he's topped out either, and judging by that start of his the other day, he can go faster than the 9.77 that he's run, in what is only his 2nd 100m race of the yr!
                That 9.88 was Asafa at 85%, he said it himself.

Comment

...and he (Powell) actually runs through the finishline instead of easing up. :shock: :lol: :shock:

Comment

Originally posted by RamGoat

Tyson hasn't run enough to suggest that he's topped out either, and judging by that start of his the other day, he can go faster than the 9.77 that he's run, in what is only his 2nd 100m race of the yr!
                    And zebra man can run sub 19.... :lol:

Comment

Originally posted by RamGoat

Yeah and what? I would take that with a grain of salt.
                      on the road

Comment

Asafa isn't 100% he lacks power in his start because of his ankle and favouring his right leg too much, saying that he's still running quick and it will be a good race.

If he can get his start back to what he was he will be close to 100% then. He then will just need to get back to pushing on his left ankle at Berlin or even before that. Time is running out, he's been like it for a couple of months already, with improvements. Hopefully its just a bit mental now and he can get over that.

Comment

Originally posted by Mikewats
                          Asafa isn't 100% he lacks power in his start because of his ankle and favouring his right leg too much, saying that he's still running quick and it will be a good race.

If he can get his start back to what he was he will be close to 100% then. He then will just need to get back to pushing on his left ankle at Berlin or even before that. Time is running out, he's been like it for a couple of months already, with improvements. Hopefully its just a bit mental now and he can get over that.
                          Again, no one stated he was 100%, but he's not far off. 9.88 suggests that, mind you, he eased up with probably a final result that could have been 9.85 or so.

Comment

I have watched and analyzed that race quite often, that particular race is really not a good race to make a claim for Asafa. Tyson at the point you're speaking of (60m), wasn't in maintenance yet, Asafa was and part of Asafa's problem that day is he tried to speed up once he decelerated, thus him slower down faster, getting pasted by Atkins as a result.
                            I havent made personal analysis, it was what I read (from a good source) in 2007 that showed Asafa reached a higher maximum velocity then Gay did in that race.
                            Powell tightened up completely and put out a very large amount of effort in the drive phase which caught up with him later on.

Comment

I havent made personal analysis, it was what I read (from a good source) in 2007 that showed Asafa reached a higher maximum velocity then Gay did in that race.
                              Powell tightened up completely and put out a very large amount of effort in the drive phase which caught up with him later on.
                              Every sprinter aim is to extend top end speed, whether or not that means doing as Ben Johnson a very short drive/accleration, or an extended drive/acceleration, I would personally chose the latter. My point is this, Gatlin and over the last couple of seasons Tyson has worked on extending his top end speed, it showed in that 2007 race.

Asafa may have in fact reached a higher max velocity, however again Tyson extended his top end speed. I don't buy that Asafa tightened up, again he tried to accelerate while in his maintenance phase, because again Tyson was still in his top end speed.
                              on the road

Comment

Working...
                              X