Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

nationals gaffes [split]

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • nationals gaffes [split]

    Originally posted by Marlow
    Originally posted by az2004
    if stucynski pulls out, does usa get the next vaulter in line??
    Uh oh, that was a tie

    4 Jillian Schwartz
    4 April Steiner Bennett
    Is this solved with a coin toss?

  • #2
    Yikes! They're supposed to have an administrative jumpoff in these cases.... hmmm....

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by gh
      Yikes! They're supposed to have an administrative jumpoff in these cases.... hmmm....

      I wondered about that when I was at USAs, having recently officiated a number of high school league and district meets where every single competition required a jump off for either the final qualifying spot or for the first alternate.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by polevaultpower
        Originally posted by gh
        Yikes! They're supposed to have an administrative jumpoff in these cases.... hmmm....

        I wondered about that when I was at USAs, having recently officiated a number of high school league and district meets where every single competition required a jump off for either the final qualifying spot or for the first alternate.
        gh might already be on this, but I've asked USATF for an explanation

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Walt Murphy
          Originally posted by polevaultpower
          Originally posted by gh
          Yikes! They're supposed to have an administrative jumpoff in these cases.... hmmm....

          I wondered about that when I was at USAs, having recently officiated a number of high school league and district meets where every single competition required a jump off for either the final qualifying spot or for the first alternate.
          gh might already be on this, but I've asked USATF for an explanation

          After the steeplechase fiasco who's surprised?
          There are no strings on me

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by guru
            After the steeplechase fiasco who's surprised?
            Or the men's HJ at last years Trials.

            Comment


            • #7
              Yeah, but at whom do you point the finger? The steeplecase barrier was set by a volunteer official who flew in from the other side of the country. He had nothing to do with the HJ last year, which was run by volunteer officials I assume from all over the country. And I'm guessing the wPV was run by a third set of volunteer officials.

              What's your point?

              Watch a pro team sport game with highly paid officials and I know you'll scream at the screen a dozen times a game becuase of a bad call. Humans be humans.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by gh
                Yeah, but at whom do you point the finger? The steeplecase barrier was set by a volunteer official who flew in from the other side of the country. He had nothing to do with the HJ last year, which was run by volunteer officials I assume from all over the country. And I'm guessing the wPV was run by a third set of volunteer officials.

                What's your point?

                The point is if the officials don't know their jobs, or the rules, they shouldn't be working a national championship for crying out loud.

                Watch a pro team sport game with highly paid officials and I know you'll scream at the screen a dozen times a game becuase of a bad call. Humans be humans.
                Please tell me you're not comparing making a sideline two foot in call, or a baseball bang-bang call at first, to setting a steeple barrier at the right height, or knowing the RULES of a pole vault competition. Please tell me that. Please.
                There are no strings on me

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by guru
                  [

                  Please tell me you're not comparing making a sideline two foot in call, or a baseball bang-bang call at first, to setting a steeple barrier at the right height, or knowing the RULES of a pole vault competition. Please tell me that. Please.
                  Having the wrong height for the steeple barrier is almost like a baseball ump instructioning the pitcher to pitch from 2nd base.
                  phsstt!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    There is some valid finger-pointing to do---at organizers that do not shell
                    out enough money to bring in quality officials.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by gh
                      What's your point?
                      One mistake can happen. Multiple mistakes in consecutive National Championships/Trials is unforgivable.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        What's the issue? We'll break the tie, like all "good looking women sports", with a bra and panties pillow fight.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by marknhj
                          Originally posted by gh
                          What's your point?
                          One mistake can happen. Multiple mistakes in consecutive National Championships/Trials is unforgivable.
                          but who do you blame?

                          I guess I'm just not cut out for this internet era, where you get out your pitchfork and torch and go for the heads of honest hard-working officials who lose money and get rewarded by standing in the hot sun all day and offered a bad sandwich for lunch.

                          Who among us can say they go through a day at their job, for which they're well paid and don't make a single mistake?

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I believe the games committee (or whoever is in charge) specified an administrative jump-off be held if there was a tie for 3rd. They said nothing about a jump-off in a tie for 4th. The officials in the field only followed instructions.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              mr logan, resign now...

                              man, if this wasn't so pathetic, i'd laugh...

                              there should be a checklist of things to do...

                              and breaking ties in case some one gets injured is one of them...

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X