X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stephen
    replied
    Originally posted by Powell
    At this point, she's clearly a better long jumper. I suppose after her 6.83 she will be selected for the WCh in that event, too, while in the HJ she's nowhere near qualifying, so I think the choice is clear. Still, a very impressive double.
    What was impressive was she qualified for the LJ final some 20 mins after the HJ final! She is a definate talent in the LJ, and the way she can produce her best jumps in the last round shows a good competitive mettle. She's been working more on her speed this year and it has shown.

German jumping has been great this year and with 1st and 4th here, with good distances, the future looks bright

Leave a comment:

• Jon
    replied
    Re: Daniele Greco TJ (M) winner

Originally posted by Powell
    Originally posted by Martini
    Also fast for jumper. 100M pr listed at 10.38. Dob 1-3-89, 20+ years old at u23 championships.
    Who are you talking about???
    Took a while for me to figure it out too, but he is talking about the Italian triple jumper.

Leave a comment:

• Powell
    replied
    Re: Daniele Greco TJ (M) winner

Originally posted by Martini
    Also fast for jumper. 100M pr listed at 10.38. Dob 1-3-89, 20+ years old at u23 championships.
    Who are you talking about???

Leave a comment:

• Friar
    replied
    http://www.sportresult.com/sports/la/fr ... und0130061

1500 final tactically slow but I would have liked to have seen the final 50 meters anyway:
    1 TUKHTACHEV, Ivan RUS 3:51.19
    2 BREWER, James GBR 3:51.33
    3 HOLUSA, Jakub CZE 3:51.46
    4 RODRÍGUEZ, Álvaro ESP 3:51.62
    5 STEVENSON, Ricky GBR 3:51.82
    6 KOWAL, Yoann FRA 3:51.98
    7 SCAPINI, Mario ITA 3:52.12
    8 RUELL, Kim BEL 3:52.55
    9 BELHARBAZI, Otmane FRA 3:52.59
    10 FORRESTER, David GBR 3:52.94

Leave a comment:

• Martini
    replied
    Daniele Greco TJ (M) winner

Leave a comment:

• Powell
    replied
    At this point, she's clearly a better long jumper. I suppose after her 6.83 she will be selected for the WCh in that event, too, while in the HJ she's nowhere near qualifying, so I think the choice is clear. Still, a very impressive double.

Leave a comment:

• croflash
    replied
    Melanie Bauschke wins the LJ with 6.83 (-0.3), even more impressive after getting silver in the HJ (1.89 in Kaunas, PB 1.90) on Saturday. She turned 21 this week, should be interesting to see which event she choses - if she does and whether she has to.

Leave a comment:

• LopenUupunut
    replied
    Originally posted by 3a
    Originally posted by LopenUupunut
    Originally posted by xygo
    Grabuste, the heptathlete from Latvia has broken almost all her PBs and she is going to have a highly world-class score over 6350p. ( previous best something under 6100p. )
    It's shocking how Latvians, many of them, have been breaking their PBs left and right... not..
    Lopen, why the "not". Why are you not surprised by vast improvements? Has there been some sort of national overhaul I haven't heard about?
    I am surprised but not shocked. I've repeatedly argued that athletes from Estonia and Latvia, particularly sprinters and jumpers, often have weaker PBs than they "should" and are quite likely to put matters right in that respect come major meet time, for the following reasons:

1) The two countries aren't all that rich and don't usually put the money they do have to gracing the city stadium with the latest Mondo. Therefore, only the strongest domestic meets feature tracks as fast as those regular elsewhere.

2) The two countries' weather and northern location, especially in the case of Estonia, keeps the domestic season relatively short and means not all comps get the warm weather sprinters and jumpers would like, further decreasing the number of good opportunities. (This also, marginally, increases the number of injuries.)

3) When you have so few real opportunities to begin with, having as often happens many of them spoiled by headwinds or overly strong tailwinds leaves you with even less.

4) The two countries' small population and scarcity of international meets in them means that in most events, and certainly the sprints and jumps, the top athletes rarely get real opponents. It really does help if somebody's pushing you.

5) The weak PBs resulting play a large part in preventing athletes from getting into big foreign meets that could provide better conditions.

Even together, these aren't huge factors but can still play a significant part - especially with improving athletes that have only been anywhere near their current form for a short time and haven't had many opportunities to get all those little details right. U23 athletes are supposed to be improving.

Additionally, there are several specific reasons why the PBs haven't been particularly shocking:

1) Many non-Latvian athletes have produced PBs here. After all, the weather's been mostly okay, and the athletes still young and improving. Plus this is, after all, the meet most have been peaking for.

2) It helps if you don't have to travel much to the major meet. Major meets always have lots of PBs - they'd have even more without jetlag, being tired of travelling, having to deal with strange foreign food, etc. Kaunas, for the Latvians, is almost home.

3) To pick a specific athlete, Janis Leitis, who popped a big last-round PB in men's long jump to steal a surprise win, is very new to his event and hadn't really been tested in it yet.

Mind you, few or none of these explanations apply to the javelin. Accordingly, I am shocked about the 64.51. :shock: But I was shocked about 70.03, too.

Leave a comment:

• xygo
    replied
    Also impressive the Italian Greco 17,20m., over 50cm improvement at last jump!

Men's pole vault had also some surprises,as two hot favourites Michalski and Kudlicka didnot medal, and an inspiring Greek Dimitris Patsoukakis set new standards for himself improving from 5,41m. to 5,55m. first time clearances all 5,40m. ,5, 50m. , 5,55m.! Great performace for the greek guy!

Leave a comment:

• Jon
    replied
    Another big improver gold-medal winner in the men's TJ. Daniele Greco (former PBs were 16.64/16.83i) leapt a last-round 17.20m (1.8m/s) to take the gold medal :shock:

Leave a comment:

• Neville L.
    replied
    The Javelin improvement is ludicrous and simply can't be right. It is impossible to improve by 6 metres in one competition. I'm sure she has a better previous PB. Surely?
    It's not totally impossible. It is, for example, about the same as Christina Obergföll's improvement during the WC in Helsinki. If there's the right wind, it can happen in Javelin throwing. And there was a lot of wind, as one can see at the wind mark's in the ladies long jump competition.

Leave a comment:

• 3a
    replied
    Surprise of the week for me is the British Women winning the 4x1. 43.8 isn't a bad time and with a quartet of runners who are all very young and green. I didn't expect them to medal, let alone gold.

Leave a comment:

• 3a
    replied
    Grabuste, the heptathlete from Latvia has broken almost all her PBs and she is going to have a highly world-class score over 6350p. ( previous best something under 6100p. )
    It's shocking how Latvians, many of them, have been breaking their PBs left and right... not.

Lopen, why the "not". Why are you not surprised by vast improvements? Has there been some sort of national overhaul I haven't heard about?

Leave a comment:

• 3a
    replied
    Originally posted by Jon
    It's shocking how Latvians, many of them, have been breaking their PBs left and right... not
    Looks like it's a good day for Latvia. Madara Palameika has just thrown 64.51 in the last round of the women's javelin to take gold. Her PB before this championship was 57.98m set two years ago :shock: It adds more than 6.5m to her PB and almost 4.5m to the Latvian record.

Edited to add: Grabuste takes the heptathlon victory with 6396, that's 346 points better than her previous PB. :shock:
    The Javelin improvement is ludicrous and simply can't be right. It is impossible to improve by 6 metres in one competition. I'm sure she has a better previous PB. Surely?

Grabust was quite promising in Beijing. I am surprised she's kicked on so much though, Kudos to her and the surrounding team.

Leave a comment:

• Jon
    replied
    It's shocking how Latvians, many of them, have been breaking their PBs left and right... not
    Looks like it's a good day for Latvia. Madara Palameika has just thrown 64.51 in the last round of the women's javelin to take gold. Her PB before this championship was 57.98m set two years ago :shock: It adds more than 6.5m to her PB and almost 4.5m to the Latvian record.

Edited to add: Grabuste takes the heptathlon victory with 6396, that's 346 points better than her previous PB. :shock:

Leave a comment:

Working...
X