Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What would you want, a major meet gold, or world record?

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What would you want, a major meet gold, or world record?

Major gold, preferrably Olympics
    on the road

Major Gold, records are made to be broke, but no one can take that Medal from you (unless they prove your a cheat)

Comment

Give me the gold medal. I am sure Asafa would exchange those WRs for an Olympic gold.

Comment

Originally posted by rudeboy
        Give me the gold medal. I am sure Asafa would exchange those WRs for an Olympic gold.
        Especially after those records are broken.

Comment

Originally posted by guruof track
          Especially after those records are broken.
          Which can and is done in the same year times.
          on the road

Comment

That's kind of fine until you name names. Would you rather have the career of Butch Reynolds or Avard Moncur? Kim Collins or Asafa Powell?

Oh, and if you go to that hypothetical scenario where Asafa Powell trades in his sub tens and WRs for a major gold is he really a bigger underachiever as he is now or if he set his p.b. at 10.00 winning a major gold (let's say Paris 2003 in this alternate scenario)? Maybe to the unsuspecting eye he'd be an overachiever, a 10.0x and 10.1 man who peaked when it really mattered, but he and his coaches, knowing his 9.7 potential, would beg to differ.

Comment

Re: What would you want, a major meet gold, or world record?

Originally posted by Speedfirst
              Major gold, preferrably Olympics
              agreed. Nothing takes the place of Olympic Gold!!

The Olympics have been around for 100+ years and are show cased around the World. Olympic Gold earns you honour, prestige and shared folklore along with past and present Great Champions in and out of Track & Field.

What's better than that!! (of course it's nice to set a WR along the way.....

Comment

A major medal...or two.

Of course accomplishing both is even better.
                The fool has said...there is no God. Psa 14

Comment

Originally posted by EZSum
                  That's kind of fine until you name names. Would you rather have the career of Butch Reynolds or Avard Moncur? Kim Collins or Asafa Powell?

Oh, and if you go to that hypothetical scenario where Asafa Powell trades in his sub tens and WRs for a major gold is he really a bigger underachiever as he is now or if he set his p.b. at 10.00 winning a major gold (let's say Paris 2003 in this alternate scenario)? Maybe to the unsuspecting eye he'd be an overachiever, a 10.0x and 10.1 man who peaked when it really mattered, but he and his coaches, knowing his 9.7 potential, would beg to differ.
                  I understand your point.

I'd rather have a long competitive career with records and no medal, than a short uneventful one (sans the one gold) where a I won a major medal and people considered me to be lucky,
                  The fool has said...there is no God. Psa 14

Comment

A major medal, no question about it!

Its gotta be a special feeling to earn that gold and all the things you've done to garner that place/award/achievement!

Comment

I'm pretty sure that Asafa has an Olympic gold medal.

Comment

Does Asafa have streets, parks or places named after him? What about Reynolds? That should answer your question about what most people value and celebrate.

Granted, setting a WR in the 100M means more than most other events but the grand stage and pressure of the Olympics (in time, perhaps the World Championships) to perform when it counts the most trumps a record even in this event.

There is no hiding in a penultimate final race that is only contested every 4 years.

Relay Gold is great but individual gold means it was all up to YOU.

Comment

Originally posted by skyin' brian
                          I'm pretty sure that Asafa has an Olympic gold medal.
                          No question Asafa would trade it in for individual Gold

Comment

EZ...just look at the pattern of this thread so far, it's really simple, so far overwhelmingly it's a major medal, no I think it's unanimous so far, well what do you say for yourself?

Again this can be slanted in many directions, but here's the deal again, major gold or world record?
                            on the road

Comment

after considering the two choices carefully, my response is..... YES!

Comment

Working...
                              X