Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SR was only 4 seconds slower than JW. Now I am not saying she is going to run 43.45 + 4.0 = 47.45, but the time in the Mens 400m gives an indication of how good her mark is. The conditions also mask what I think is improving conditioning of Novlene.

Comment

The women's WR is only around 4.4 slower than the men's WR, so it's not that different. Sanya's mark compared to the men's doesn't really give much insight, apart from the fact that men's race being below-par and the women's race (or at least the winner) was pretty decent.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon
        The women's WR is only around 4.4 slower than the men's WR, so it's not that different. Sanya's mark compared to the men's doesn't really give much insight, apart from the fact that men's race being below-par and the women's race (or at least the winner) was pretty decent.
        And you think that the women's record is harder/easier than the mens?

Comment

Tougher, of course (and we all know why), but still the men/women Paris comparison doesn't mean much - it's just a reflection on the quality of the men's field. Had the current men's No.1 (Merritt) been in the race, the differential would have been around 5 seconds.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon
            Tougher, of course (and we all know why), but still the men/women Paris comparison doesn't mean much - it's just a reflection on the quality of the men's field. Had the current men's No.1 (Merritt) been in the race, the differential would have been around 5 seconds.
            Having seen how the race ran, I think the winning time with LM in would have been high-44s, not 44.3. It certainly was not much of a WL day in most cases.

Comment

On a somewhat unrelated topic, I just don't get Sanya sometimes. She was quoted as saying she wanted to share the $1 million jackpot with Izzy. Now, that's just not being honest.

She also said she considered the Big O the favorite in Berlin. Again, no honesty. There's nothing that's happened this year to suggest that the BIg O will even show up, let alone win, the WC 400. Yeah, I know her history in the big meets and Sanya's but really now. We all know who the favorite is.

I love Sanya, but whenever I hear her in interviews, I cringe. She's a classy lady but she can be truthful and still stay classy.

Comment

Originally posted by vip
                On a somewhat unrelated topic, I just don't get Sanya sometimes. She was quoted as saying she wanted to share the $1 million jackpot with Izzy. Now, that's just not being honest.

She also said she considered the Big O the favorite in Berlin. Again, no honesty. There's nothing that's happened this year to suggest that the BIg O will even show up, let alone win, the WC 400. Yeah, I know her history in the big meets and Sanya's but really now. We all know who the favorite is.

I love Sanya, but whenever I hear her in interviews, I cringe. She's a classy lady but she can be truthful and still stay classy.

The first quote might have been truthful, considering that Sanya is already pretty rich on her own, let alone when you consider who she's married to, so if she likes Isinbayeva a lot, then maybe she really does want her to get a share of the money, who knows. Maybe she thinks field event people get shit on too much, and she deserves a little score, I dunno, I'm just saying there is probably a decent chance she was being honest on this one.

As for the Big O quote though, yes, she was lying her ass off about that, because it obviously must take some psychological pressure off her when she pretends she isn't the favorite. Though, she obviously isn't fooling anyone, but I mean, not EVERYONE can be good at poker.

Comment

When you say Sanya is "pretty rich" I guess that's relative. Maybe she's worth a few million, but Kobe Bryant would laugh at that. And all track athletes know that the big money comes all too briefly an therefore it's wise to get as much as you can, when you can. That's why I don't think Sanya was being truthful.

As for Aaron Ross, he ain't "rich" yet because he's still on his rookie contract. Let's see him go to a few Pro Bowls first and a few more contracts before we declare him set for life. NFL contracts are not guaranteed, either.

Comment

Sanya is very generous. And she is rich. Rich is relative. It doesnt have to be Kobe money :shock: for someone to be rich. Didnt Aaron Ross get a 20 million :shock: dollar rookie deal as a first round pick?

Hasnt Sanya been one of the highest earning women in Track for years?

I'm sure she wouldnt mind splitting the jackpot since thats the way it usually goes anyway they all sort of expect it.

And why do you say she's being dishonest when she says that the Big O is the favorite?

Did you read these boards over the course of the past two years?

Isnt the Big O the defending champion in BOTH the WC and the Olympic Games?

By giving Christine respect and credit as the champ and she gets criticized for that too?

Sanya wants what the Big O has and respects her as the champ.

Would it be better if she had been dismissive of the Big O and appointed herself the favorite while Big O has both titles?

Would she not have been ridiculed for that too?

*Sigh*
                    The fool has said...there is no God. Psa 14

Comment

Well said TD. Imagine if she said that the big O was having an off year and the champs were sewn up....... :roll: She is simply acknowledging that you can't count O out given her impressive record at big meets.

I had no idea her future hubby was that rich! :shock: :shock:

Comment

Originally posted by vip

If you read some of the things she has said about Isinbayeva, it really isn’t that unlikely that she was being honest about wanting to share the jackpot with her:
                        “I really, really, really admire Yelena Isinbayeva,” Richards said of the Russian superstar.
                        “If I could be any other athlete in the world, it would be Yelena Isinbayeva. I definitely love her and have seen her grow so much even with her language. I remember when she couldn’t speak any English and now she’s asking me ‘where are you going for lunch, do you want to join me.’”
                        “A two-time Olympic champion, a three-time World champion, 26 times a World record holder, I mean, who’s not inspired by her.” “So I definitely watch and cheer her on and would love to share the jackpot with her for the final time.” [IAAF.org]
                        There’s also a nice picture of them together on Sanya’s website (Scroll down in the “Watch Sanya” section).
                        If you read the caption of that picture it’s quite obvious that she admires Isinbayeva.

(btw you can view a bigger version of that pic on Sanya’s twitter page)

As for calling Ohuruogu the favorite (outside of the fact that Ohuruogu is actually the reigning Olympic & World champion), she might have said that to deflect the pressure off of her as much as possible, which is actually a tactic that is not at all uncommon in a lot of other sports and has been succesfully used by many sportspeople in the past. Some people just perform remarkably better if they don’t feel pressurised or have to carry the burden of being the favorite on their shoulders. Any little thing that might help you perform at your absolute best (outside of anything illegal or unsportsmanlike) is worth trying.

Comment

Calm down, Trackdaddy. I'm not Sanya's biggest fan (that would be you) but I'm in the top 10. I just thought she wasn't being honest in her answers, that's all. It's like a few weeks ago when she was questioned (for the umpteenth time) about her lack of major gold medals. She said something about just wanting to be in her best shape for the Worlds and whatever happened, she'd be happy with the result.

That's not being honest. You mean she'd be happy with 2nd place, no matter how well she ran? I think not. The stakes are too high for her in this meet. Had she said she wants first place and first place only, that would be an honest answer.

I don't want to make more of this than it is. Sorry if I did.

Comment

I mean, if someone's being honest, who are WE to judge their comments as if we know the relationship between the 2 subjects.

That seems a bit disingenuous. Isn't it enough that she gets tirelessly judged about everything else that now she has to worry about someone she admires and wanting to share the jackpot with?

Let's stick to track.

Big O has proved that she is the best coming into a championship yr, why is this any different, its a World Championship year. Makes since that the defending champ should be the fav, while not normally woo'ing people on the circuit, always comes thru in a major final....

Comment

Sanya is damned if she does and damned if she doesnt............its as simple as that.

Comment

... that's not coincidence. I mean, it's not like some kind of curse. Things don't just happen.

She provoked it with all the excellent results and high expectations and then her poor results at the championships. With her attitude and all the excuses after her defeats.

Comment

Working...
                                X