• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 26mi235
    replied
    Re: Anna Willard

Originally posted by James Fields
    "I think that it is possible that Anna W and Jenny B will run under 9:10 this year ... and not get the AmR." A 9:10 is well under existing American Record.
    You mis-understand JB 9:09.0, AW 9:09.5; AW under 9:10 and no AR (it happened to her before but with a slower time). It could be that the sentence could read AW ahead of JB so that JB runs sub-9:10 and does not get the AR. I do not think that there is any confusion bout the AR being slower than 9:10 (do you?).

Leave a comment:

• Haskell45
    replied
    I saw this race today it was a surprising finish!!
    I guess the others were completely off pace.

Leave a comment:

• James Fields
    replied
    Anna Willard

It's nice to see so many plaudits for Anna Willard on this thread. She has more marks than anyone in the Top 10 list of USA times for W3000m SC but not a proportionate amount of recognition ad publicity.

A few replies:

"Willard could medal in the 800m if she had qualified." It should be noted that Willard did not compete in 800m at USA Champs but did qualify there in both 1500m run and 3000m steeplechase.

"I think that it is possible that Anna W and Jenny B will run under 9:10 this year ... and not get the AmR." A 9:10 is well under existing American Record.

"The 800 has very little to do with the steeple, which is clearly a strength event." Agree about 'strength event' as applied to barrier endurance; those 35 barriers (7 at water, 28 on track) require special training, particularly for athletes who lack height and long legs.

Leave a comment:

• sprintblox
    replied
    Methinks AW is going to forget the steeple in future seasons. The 800 is her event. She'll run 1:56 if she focuses on it.

Leave a comment:

replied
    The seven women ahead of Ms. Rowbury did exactly what the crew was believed possible to do in running under 2 minutes.

Leave a comment:

• BCBaroo
    replied
    Originally posted by 26mi235
    Originally posted by smithg
    the announcers didnt know what to think

wow anna.. is she is 9:10 shape??
    I think that it is possible that Anna W and Jenny B will run under 9:10 this year ...

and not get the AmR.
    Wait... Are you implying another American is going to beat both of them?

Surely not. Aaanyway.

Willard just didn't look THIS strong at Nationals. Is it possible the 800 is her best event?

Leave a comment:

• Taliban
    replied
    Originally posted by jeremyp
    I think all U.S. middle distance runners should run the steeple for a couple of years. Does wonders for their 800/1550 times. :wink:
    I second that!

Leave a comment:

• jeremyp
    replied
    I think all U.S. middle distance runners should run the steeple for a couple of years. Does wonders for their 800/1550 times. :wink:

Leave a comment:

• pela2
    replied
    Results

1 WILLARD Anna 1:58.80 PB
    2 CUSMA PICCIONE Elisa 1:58.99 SB
    3 ZBROZHEK Oksana 1:59.13 SB
    4 OKORO Marilyn 1:59.56 SB
    5 GUEGAN Elodie 1:59.57 SB
    6 ROSTKOWSKA Anna 1:59.77 SB
    7 KLOCOVÁ Lucia 1:59.79 SB
    8 ROWBURY Shannon 2:00.94 PB
    9 CLARK RILEY Hazel 2:03.13
    - TSYGANOVA Natalya DNF
    - VESSEY Maggie DNS

Leave a comment:

• knite
    replied
    Originally posted by K.I.R.
    The 800 has very little to do with the steeple, which is clearly a strength event. Until Willard shows the kind of fitness at 3K and 5K that's she's shown at 1500 and 800, I'll expect a PB in the steeple, but nothing of that magnitude.

She's slightly off the US record, and running anything sub 9:15 in the steeple will be Huge! The gap between 1st and 2nd is huge so both ladies are in the hunt!

Leave a comment:

• K.I.R.
    replied
    The 800 has very little to do with the steeple, which is clearly a strength event. Until Willard shows the kind of fitness at 3K and 5K that's she's shown at 1500 and 800, I'll expect a PB in the steeple, but nothing of that magnitude.

Leave a comment:

• 26mi235
    replied

I think that it is possible that Anna W and Jenny B will run under 9:10 this year ...

and not get the AmR.

The American women have done very well in the 800 in Eurpoe and might have picked the best year to do it, as the stellar finds of the last two years are still off their games (we will see in H-Z tomorrow night].

Leave a comment:

• Rineanna
    replied
    She walloped some of the best 800m runners out there!

Willard and Barringer amaze me.

Actually, out of the 800m, 1500m, and 3000m s/c, isn't the steeplechase now their weakest event on paper? I know their times are due for significant revision once they get in a fast race, but Willard could medal in the 800m if she had qualified.

Leave a comment:

• Tammy_Baby
    replied
    Originally posted by guruof track
    Willard BEASTED the last 100!!!!!
    Man she is really running her tush off...It's soooo good to see her having the success she is now in the 800m

Leave a comment:

• smithg
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X