David Kiprono Langat KEN
    Vincent Le Dauphin FRA
    Mahiedine Mekhissi-Benabbad FRA
    Mustafa Mohamed SWE
    Abel Kiprop Mutai KEN
    Ruben Ramolefi RSA
    Abdelhamid Zerrifi ALG
    Vincent Zouaoui Dandrieaux FRA

Can we get the first sub 8min by a European?

A little too much celebrating and showing off from Mekhissi...

Comment

What a twit! Was hoping he would fall at the last barrier.

Comment

Keskisalo 3rd with a new PB and only 3 seconds from our 33-year-old NR (Tapio Kantanen 8.12.60 at Montreal OG)! Told you he's in shape

Comment

It is his home crowd, and he did dominate that finish, allowing him the time to do so. He looked so strong going over the last water jump, powering right through it.

Comment

results
            1 MEKHISSI BENABBAD Mahiedine 8:13.23
            2 KEMBOI Ezekiel 8:15.27
            3 KESKISALO Jukka 8:15.59 PB
            4 MUTAI Abel Kiprop 8:16.42
            5 KIPROTICH Wesley 8:16.44 SB
            6 MOHAMED Mustafa 8:18.44 SB
            7 KIPLAGAT Benjamin 8:19.70
            8 KOSGEI Collins 8:19.81
            9 GARI Roba 8:20.30
            10 RAMOLEFI Ruben 8:26.54
            11 LAMISO Legese 8:29.90
            12 ZOUAOUI DANDRIEUX Vincent 8:31.44 SB
            13 LE DAUPHIN Vincent 8:38.36 SB
            14 AYEKO Simon 8:39.11
            15 ZERRIFI Abdelhamid 8:53.36
            - CHELIMO Elijah DNF
            - LANGAT David DNF

Comment

Powell, Powell, Powell....

I noticed what you wrote :wink:

Comment

Originally posted by 26mi235
                It is his home crowd, and he did dominate that finish, allowing him the time to do so. He looked so strong going over the last water jump, powering right through it.
                Agreed. Looked very strong over last 250, so a little joie de vivre is quite O.K.

Comment

Originally posted by pela2
                  Powell, Powell, Powell....

I noticed what you wrote :wink:
                  Oh, OK, I remembered the Swedish record had been broken by now. But it survived over 30 years - that still makes the Montreal final pretty good, right? And had Baumgartl not fallen there, he would still be the German record holder today :shock:
                  Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

Originally posted by jeremyp
                    Originally posted by 26mi235
                    Agreed. Looked very strong over last 250, so a little joie de vivre is quite O.K.
                    To me it felt like taunting, he started to gesture long before he approached the last hurdle and almost throughout the entire homestretch. I'm not against celebrating, but that was over the top.

Comment

Lets take a step back!
                      Athletics is a sport just like any other sport - however its ok for a footballer to score a goal and celebrate before the final whistle, its ok for a bowler to celebrate when he takes a wicket ..again before knowing the final result! Its ok for a player to celebrate a try in rugby. however, its not ok for a runner to celebrate before the final whistle!!! No one said anything when Eamon Coglen waved goodbye to a fellow runner in those champs years ago whilst steve ovett use to celebrate...Also the face of athletics Usain Bolt celebarted before the line in the 100m olympic f inal.Nothing wrong with celebration in athletics!! Some people should get a grip of reality and admire the performance rather than critising him!!!

Comment

Did you even watch it ? He was starting to celebrate 15 seconds before the race was over - when Kemboi and Keskisalo weren't far behind.

Comment

He felt good and he knew he'd win... Nothing wrong with tha t!
                          And yes I did see the race - maybe you didnt see the grimaces on the other runners faces!

Comment

Originally posted by croflash
                            Did you even watch it ? He was starting to celebrate 15 seconds before the race was over - when Kemboi and Keskisalo weren't far behind.
                            The example used was Eamonn Coghlan, who wasn't even leading yet. And Mekhissi-Benabbad had a clearer gap on those following him than Bolt. :wink:

Comment

It's funny because he had already behaved this way before... in a race he lost! I'm French and I was in the stadium. It was a international match organised in France a few years ago and he was representing France on the 3000m steeplechase. He was far behind the other athletes and he started waving at the crowd in the homestretch.
                              I think he is much more mature now. I met him several times and he seems to be a nice guy. I guess he was just happy to have won... He even said he wanted to show Usain Bolt was not the only great athlete competing that night...
                              http://www.athletesmondiaux.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X