Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Taliban
    Originally posted by Speedfirst
    Who exactly held the gun to their heads and MADE them come to America? Or anyone else for that matter? Do we even know if maybe there was something in his history with respect to this current injury?

You should have omitted that line.
    No Taliban seriously, I stated that as point, not as a slight. I don't care who comes to the USA, I have no say about that. But again, folks ain't being forced to come here, they have a choice. Not saying stay where you are, but there are other choices beside the USA :wink:
    on the road

Comment

Get well soon Jonathan.

Comment

It looks like he went 46.3 and 20.6 if I'm not mistaken? another Belgian got 2nd with a 46 too.. one more leg and thats a decent relay team!
        http://i42.tinypic.com/wlqckx.jpg

Comment

The notion that the American University track system makes people worst is hogwash. One must first understand that ANYTIME a person runs they risk injury (doesnt matter if they are in the US or Belguim). Secondly, over 70% of the Olympic medalist in the sprints aand hurdels had some experience in the American University track system including foreign medalist Richard Thompson, Melanie Walker, Veronica Campbell Brown, Churandy Martina, and Kerron Stewart. So the notion that the that system runs people in the ground is BS. The collegiate system is just fine, regardless if Borlee had injured himself or not.........and furthermore his brother ran the same races as him and he is not injured.

@ Speedfirst, I'm pretty sure Taliban was talking about people brought over in the trans-Atlantic Slave trade who were FORCED to come over here. Just a point of clarification

Comment

Originally posted by Speedfirst
            Who exactly held the gun to their heads and MADE them come to America? Or anyone else for that matter? Do we even know if maybe there was something in his history with respect to this current injury?
            what?

They never had any kind of foot injuries... They were/ are injury prone yes but those were other issues...

Comment

Originally posted by guruof track
              The notion that the American University track system makes people worst is hogwash. One must first understand that ANYTIME a person runs they risk injury (doesnt matter if they are in the US or Belguim). Secondly, over 70% of the Olympic medalist in the sprints aand hurdels had some experience in the American University track system including foreign medalist Richard Thompson, Melanie Walker, Veronica Campbell Brown, Churandy Martina, and Kerron Stewart. So the notion that the that system runs people in the ground is BS. The collegiate system is just fine, regardless if Borlee had injured himself or not.........and furthermore his brother ran the same races as him and he is not injured.

@ Speedfirst, I'm pretty sure Taliban was talking about people brought over in the trans-Atlantic Slave trade who were FORCED to come over here. Just a point of clarification
              You know what that didn't even dawn on me as we are discussing a track & field issue.

I certainly am sensitive to that awful dark time in U.S. history, I apology for my lasp ops: ops:
              on the road

Comment

On a serious note... Do some of you guys feel offended :lol:

I can't speak for the others but i do know that Churandy was having a hard time in his collegiate years, especially during the NCAA's :lol:
                He wasn't used racing that much...

As for me, i consider this as bad luck... I think FSU is one of the best moves they have made... Jonathan improved his pr and Belgium record.. Kevin made the finals and grabbed the gold with his relay team. I think they should definately stay in the US, but maybe under a adjusted program...

Comment

Originally posted by guruof track

It's not the notion that the NCAA is ruining foreign athletes but the Belgians are upset because there 400m record holder is injured and they see FSU as the blame because they were only supposed to run 10 races this season.
                  Afrikan

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                    Originally posted by scoe
                    Thank the Lord that Coe, Ovett, Cram,. Elliott, Christie., Jackson, Gunnell, Black and others ignored the offers to go to American University!!!! Hurrah for them.

Let it be a warning to others tempted by the almighty Dollar ( not so almighty these days, actually)
                    The only reason they didn't go for the almighty Dollar is because the British government's support system provided them with a like number of Pounds. Add on big-meet winnings and their annual earnings would make an NCAA athlete look like a pauper.
                    The Almighty dollar definitely doesn't hold a candle to the British pound but the comp in the US is much better than the UK.
                    Afrikan

Comment

1. Their father trained them all year, not the sprint coach.

2. Their father decided on when and what meets they were going to compete in, not the FSU coaches.

3. After the Olympic, THE FATHER SORTED OUT THE FSU COAHCES. The coaching staff had stop trying to go after them, then like weeks after the Games, they contacted the FSU staff still wanting to come over..THE FATHER CAME WITH THEM AND WANTED THEM THERE after the Oly. success of the FSU team and former athletes that trains there still.

So to the fools that are blaming the choice of them going there or whatever, how about you get real facts first before you start running off at the mouth.
                      And to the person that had mentioned Lee Emanual, I suggest you get your facts straight before you start posting stupid stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by justblaze1011
                        And to the person that had mentioned Lee Emanual, I suggest you get your facts straight before you start posting stupid stuff.
                        Good, to the point info on the Borlees, and absolutely correct about Emanuel. He has improved by leaps and bounds at UNM, and IIRC he was second at the recent UK championships.

Comment

I think the mistake that some foreign athletes make when deciding to come over to the US is that they think that every collegiate program has the same coaching, facilities, budget, etc.

Some programs might over-race an athlete, or more likely, might not have very good coaches (just good recruiters). I am not singling out any particular school, and certainly NOT Florida State, which has had foreign athletes in many different events, from many different countries, go on to be successful after their time in Tallahassee (Brian Dzingai, Ricardo Chambers, Hannah England, Dorian Scott, Andrew Lemoncello, Tom Lancashire).

Comment

Totally LOST in all this (and I'm sure I risk eternal damnation for even suggesting the following heresy) is the fact that spending time at an American college is not ALL about the athletics! There is much to be gained in many areas by getting some time in the USA university system. If you look at ALL the facts, there is probably NOTHING to gained or lost, in the long run, by running in the NCAA system. Some Euros improve, some don't . . . EXACTLY the same as the native USAians! But the USA college experience in invaluable in many ways. The USA is certainly not the be-all-end-all of the planet, but it sure is the 800-pound gorilla sitting in the middle of it, so getting to know our ways may help Euros who come here. I bet very few furriners who get a USA college education regret their time here, even if they leave their 'track career' on a USA oval.

Comment

The Belgian media is correct in critiquing the decision to come to FSU. This is part of the media's job. But ultimately the decision is up to the athlete.

I however believe that an elite athlete who stands to make good money by staying at home should not come to a US college. Picking up an injury while running for FSU or any other college is not worthwhile. As an athlete, you probably have 3 or 4 good years to make good money. If you waste even one of those years running for a college you may regret it. And as I said earlier, coming to a US college really does ruin the careers of some athletes.

Comment

Originally posted by kamikaze7
                                Picking up an injury while running for FSU or any other college is not worthwhile. . . . coming to a US college really does ruin the careers of some athletes.
                                Elite running injures many people. I very much doubt there's ANY difference in running at a college or staying home, as far as getting injured goes.

Comment

Working...
                                X