Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The article says they only got 25k in scholarships.. How much is fsu a year? I know Miami is 50k..
    http://i42.tinypic.com/wlqckx.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by kamikaze7
      This is true for Borlee as well. He could be out there making money from endorsements instead of risking injury to run for a scholarship. With the money he makes, he can pursue an education once his track career is finished.
      After 40 years in the business my personal experience is that almost nobody pursues an education once career is done. You break that link and it's very hard to stitch that path back together. (excuse the convoluted metaphor)

Comment

Originally posted by OBUTRACKSTER
        The article says they only got 25k in scholarships.. How much is fsu a year? I know Miami is 50k..
        $25K/yr would be just about enough to pay for full-time nonresident tuition and a dorm room and books at FSU, but probably not enough to also completely cover food and incidentals.

Comment

Miami is a private school. FSU is public. Expect sprintblox is right or close to right. Basically, a full ride.

Comment

Originally posted by sprintblox
            Originally posted by OBUTRACKSTER
            $25K/yr would be just about enough to pay for full-time nonresident tuition and a dorm room and books at FSU, but probably not enough to also completely cover food and incidentals.
            $25K includes a full meal plan.

Comment

The Belgian media is correct in critiquing the decision to come to FSU. This is part of the media's job. But ultimately the decision is up to the athlete.

I however believe that an elite athlete who stands to make good money by staying at home should not come to a US college. Picking up an injury while running for FSU or any other college is not worthwhile. As an athlete, you probably have 3 or 4 good years to make good money. If you waste even one of those years running for a college you may regret it. And as I said earlier, coming to a US college really does ruin the careers of some athletes.
              Maybe you should read my post on the first page. That my friend are true facts from the horse's mouth, not heresay.

Comment

Originally posted by justblaze1011
                1. Their father trained them all year, not the sprint coach.

2. Their father decided on when and what meets they were going to compete in, not the FSU coaches.

3. After the Olympic, THE FATHER SORTED OUT THE FSU COAHCES. The coaching staff had stop trying to go after them, then like weeks after the Games, they contacted the FSU staff still wanting to come over..THE FATHER CAME WITH THEM AND WANTED THEM THERE after the Oly. success of the FSU team and former athletes that trains there still.

So to the fools that are blaming the choice of them going there or whatever, how about you get real facts first before you start running off at the mouth.
                And to the person that had mentioned Lee Emanual, I suggest you get your facts straight before you start posting stupid stuff.
                Just in case he was too lazy in doing so, here is the post.

Blame nothing on the FSU coaches and staff.

Comment

Originally posted by Marlow
                  Picking up an injury while running for FSU or any other college is not worthwhile. . . . coming to a US college really does ruin the careers of some athletes.
                  Elite running injures many people. I very much doubt there's ANY difference in running at a college or staying home, as far as getting injured goes.
                  You totally missed the point. Getting injured while running for money is worthwhile. Even while injured you still rake in money from endorsements.
                  Getting injured while running for the glory of FSU and no money is not worthwhile especially when you consider that most FSU students and alumni dont care.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                    This is true for Borlee as well. He could be out there making money from endorsements instead of risking injury to run for a scholarship. With the money he makes, he can pursue an education once his track career is finished.
                    After 40 years in the business my personal experience is that almost nobody pursues an education once career is done. You break that link and it's very hard to stitch that path back together. (excuse the convoluted metaphor)
                    Most elite athletes who make enough money in their careers probably dont need any further education.
                    Also theres nothing to stop a runner from pursuing an education while running professionally. See Alison Felix, Shaquille O Neal, Vince Carter et al.

Comment

Mentioning NBA players in a discussion of track economics is just a bit of a non sequitur.

Comment

with names like kevin and jonathan, of course they had to come to the US!

Comment

Even while injured you still rake in money from endorsements.
                          If you are a foreign athlete without a world record or medal from a major championship, there is very little money to be made without doing your time in the NCAA.

Comment

Originally posted by K.I.R.
                            Even while injured you still rake in money from endorsements.
                            If you are a foreign athlete without a world record or medal from a major championship, there is very little money to be made without doing your time in the NCAA.
                            I believe U R Dead wrong

If you are from a nation like Belgium, running 44.78 and breaking the national record makes you an instant hero a target for endorsements from Belgian companies. The fact that this a brother and sister act makes it even more likely that Belgian companies would like to advertize their wares using the Borlee family

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                              Mentioning NBA players in a discussion of track economics is just a bit of a non sequitur.
                              Not really. The point is that an NBA season is far more demanding than a track season in terms of travel, time on the road, number of games etc. So if an NBA player can pursue a college degree while playing, theres no reason a track athlete cannot.

Comment

I'm not familiar with NBA players pursuing education during the season.

Comment

Working...
                                X