• Show
Clear All

Originally posted by trackinblack2
    Correct me if I am wrong, did Tyson and Bolt have equal splits in the 4x100
    at 9.00?
    Bolt split 8.86

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon18
      i don't understand why bolt says that, because he is ahead this year basic in both sprints, considering that he should be ahead of last years form come berlin, but hey thats not how it goes im guessing
      Obviously Bolt could be sandbagging, but I think that's probably what he really thinks, and I wouldn't be too worried that NO one else understands Bolt as well as Bolt does.

On a relatively unrelated note, I bet I'm the ONLY one here who has just now figured out what BOLT is doing at the end of a race when he gestures with his arms! ops: ops: ops: Up until I saw him run last week, I merely assumed he was doing some body-builder's pose. D'oh!

Comment

Originally posted by track_expert
        Originally posted by BCBaroo
        I hate the fact that I'm even responding to a WWJ discussion thread because,well, I won't comment...

But - what on earth has led you to believe that he's psyched out? He's run a PR in the 200 and a =AR in the 100. He's fit as hell.

If Tyson Gay doesn't win in Berlin it's because Bolt is from another planet, not because he's psyched out.

I know, WWJ, I'm sure you thing I'm rong. But that's my opinion.
        So what? He ran 9.77 easing up last year and had the 19.62 in not the best conditions... nothing he's showing is new but he should have a nice peak.
        Do you really think the Bolt of Beijing at the very least or much more likely.. a BETTER Bolt would get beat by a man with a PR of 9.77/19.58 ? vs. his own... 9.69(9.63)/19.30 (-0.9)

No. Not at all.

I think Bolt is the better runner. He's an alien! Did you see the 19.59 in the rain!!! He will likely win. Why? Cuz he's faster, not because Gay got "psyched" out.

Sheesh

Comment

Originally posted by 110hedgeNYC
          Gay is a better turn runner than Bolt. If he can apply some pressure to Bolt coming off the turn, he's got a chance of holding on.
          That statement isn't backed up by factual evidence. Everybody heard Michael Johnson make that uneducated statement and now everyone is saying it. The last time they raced in the 200 was what, the last World Championships? In that Race, Bolt was clearly ahead off of the curve before Gay ran him down. That wasn't the world record holder Bolt. That was the 2007 Bolt who beat Gay to the straight away while losing the over all race. What evidence do any of you have who keep saying this, that Gay is a better turn runner? I don't think there is any. You have to wait until they are on the same track again in the 200.

Comment

Someone here at the T&FN forums has called us all out to make our predictions. I want to be bold and put out what I think will happen. I did this last year, and I was accurate with nearly everyone but Usain bolt as I didn't think he was as freakish as it turns out he really is.

I make my predictions in multiple forms. I try to consider the many "most plausible" scenarios based on what I think I know and what I think I'm seeing from the athletes. If anyone posts a "prediction" thread, I'll repost this in that thread as well.

My Finals Qualifiers/Placing Prediction (My “Basic” Times Prediction for Top 4):
            1.Usain Bolt-------(9.64)
            2.Tyson Gay-------(9.69)
            3.Asafa Powell----(9.86)
            4.Daniel Bailey----(9.92)
            5.Richard Thompson
            6.Churandy Martina
            7.Michael Frater
            8.Simeon Williamson

+2.0 mps scenario
            Usain Bolt--------9.56
            Tyson Gay--------9.61
            Asafa Powell-----9.77

-1.0 mps scenario
            Usain Bolt--------9.72
            Tyson Gay--------9.75
            Asafa Powell-----9.91

(I'll use a 0.7 mps wind to make the following predictions, since major championship finals often tend to have minor wind or no wind and I figure a .7 wind is kind of in the middle ground)

What I think a Tyson upset would look like:
            +0.7
            Tyson Gay--------9.67
            Usain Bolt--------9.67
            Asafa Powell-----9.84

What I think a Bolt blowout would look like:
            +0.7
            Usain Bolt--------9.61
            Tyson Gay--------9.72
            Asafa Powell-----9.84

What I think another bad Powell Final would look like:
            +0.7
            Usain Bolt--------9.63
            Tyson Gay--------9.68
            Daniel Bailey-----9.90
            Asafa Powell-----9.91

Comment

Originally posted by bluequiet
              Someone here at the T&FN forums has called us all out to make our predictions. I want to be bold and put out what I think will happen. I did this last year, and I was accurate with nearly everyone but Usain bolt as I didn't think he was as freakish as it turns out he really is.

I make my predictions in multiple forms. I try to consider the many "most plausible" scenarios based on what I think I know and what I think I'm seeing from the athletes. If anyone posts a "prediction" thread, I'll repost this in that thread as well.

My Finals Qualifiers/Placing Prediction (My “Basic” Times Prediction for Top 4):
              2.Tyson Gay-------(9.69)
              3.Asafa Powell----(9.86)
              5.Richard Thompson
              6.Churandy Martina
              7.Michael Frater
              8.Simeon Williamson

+2.0 mps scenario
              Usain Bolt--------9.56
              Tyson Gay--------9.61
              Asafa Powell-----9.77

-1.0 mps scenario
              Usain Bolt--------9.72
              Tyson Gay--------9.75
              Asafa Powell-----9.91

(I'll use a 0.7 mps wind to make the following predictions, since major championship finals often tend to have minor wind or no wind and I figure a .7 wind is kind of in the middle ground)

+0.7
              Tyson Gay--------9.67
              Usain Bolt--------9.67
              Asafa Powell-----9.84

+0.7
              Usain Bolt--------9.61
              Tyson Gay--------9.72
              Asafa Powell-----9.84

+0.7
              Usain Bolt--------9.63
              Tyson Gay--------9.68
              Daniel Bailey-----9.90
              Asafa Powell-----9.91
              Pretty good estimates.

Comment

JHC69, I am great, thanks for knowing that.I dont have to be a sprinter to know 8-) about it having run a 400 in practice faster than you could in a race.Your obssesion with me is both flattering, and scary :shock: but you are not the only one so I guess me being the most relevant person to write a thread should make me happy.I usually print these things out so me and my circle can laugh.It will help in my other project later on.

Comment

[quote=track_expert]
                  Originally posted by 26mi235
                  Originally posted by "track_expert":3gt2goi9
                  Based on what? Bolt has fastest 3rd leg split in the 4x1 and fastest bend ever in a 200. And beat Gay off the bend in 2007.
                  Beating someone off the curve is not actually an indication that you are a better turn runner because the 200 is not absolutely all-out all the way like the 100 is. It depends on how much you expend on the curve to get there. I think that Bolt spent too much of his capital (compared to Gay) on that curve and Gay beat him as a result.

But, hey, TE has a much better background, especially sprint background than me.
                  Im aware of that, but his relay split was faster than Gay's in 07, in fact fastest ever 3rd leg split.
                  You dont have any stats to back up Gay's a better bend runner, simply make the claim because hes a really good runner at running the bend... doesnt mean he's better than Bolt just because you assume he is.[/quote:3gt2goi9]
                  And by the same token, its not fair for you to assume Tyson would not have had a faster bend in '08 had he not gotten injured. You'd have to agree Tyson had an even better season last year than 07, and looks to be better still this year ie the 19.58. I agree. It really depends on the expenditure in the 200. And in the 4X1, Bolt may have given Frater more steps that Gay gave Wally, hince a shorter carry- faster split.
                  Did you consider that?

Comment

2.Tyson Gay-------(9.69)
                    3.Asafa Powell----(9.86)
                    5.Richard Thompson
                    6.Churandy Martina
                    7.Michael Frater
                    8.Simeon Williamson

+2.0 mps scenario
                    Usain Bolt--------9.56
                    Tyson Gay--------9.61
                    Asafa Powell-----9.77

-1.0 mps scenario
                    Usain Bolt--------9.72
                    Tyson Gay--------9.75
                    Asafa Powell-----9.91

+0.7
                    Tyson Gay--------9.67
                    Usain Bolt--------9.67
                    Asafa Powell-----9.84

+0.7
                    Usain Bolt--------9.61
                    Tyson Gay--------9.72
                    Asafa Powell-----9.84

+0.7
                    Usain Bolt--------9.63
                    Tyson Gay--------9.68
                    Daniel Bailey-----9.90
                    Asafa Powell-----9.91
                    THIS GUY IS ON IT!
                    I LOVE THIS!
                    Why werent you on Trackshark where you belonged?
                    Explain yourself!! :lol:
                    Fantastic poster...Right on target.

Comment

People, I do not think that you realize exactly how
                      good those times are.

Comment

[basic]
                        2.Tyson Gay-------(9.69)
                        3.Asafa Powell----(9.86)
                        I agree, but I'd switch 3rd and 4th. I think Bailey is ready to see himself beating Powell, and Powell's history in a final is still an issue.

Comment

Scratchman:

I was on trackshark for a while. I didn't think reason floated as much over there, though, as it does here. In addition to that, I hate posting on forums, but because I'm hurt and can't workout, and because Gay and Bolt are just being sick right now, I have to talk somewhere. So I've risked showing up here again.

Imaginative:

Trust me, I know what you are saying. When I look at what I post, it looks stupid and I don't honestly believe it. However, I have to predict it because I got burnt last year in my predictions. I had everything right EXCEPT for Bolts 9.69. I reasoned, based on past experience, that people were barely going to break 9.8 (including Bolt and a healthy Gay), let alone break 9.7. But Bolt has altered the reality. It's possible that Bolt shows up and runs a 9.75 for the win and Gay runs 9.78 for second all running full go in good conditions, I just simply don't want to get burnt again by Bolts freakiness. And on a similar tone, Gay is upping the ante, too, so I think he can give Bolt at least a slight fight which puts him up near where Bolt goes.

But I can see how seeing multiple 9.6's and a 9.5 would seem ludacrious. I just expect that Bolt will follow up his Olympic performance with something similar.

Marlow:

Yes, I agree with you. I'm just wondering if maybe Powell can finally achieve redemption and earn a solid bronze here. In my last prediction (Powell running another bad final), I have him behind Bailey. I just think there is no real shot at him being able to compete with Bolt and Gay over rounds, but maybe there is a shot he can fight his way through and keep Bailey at bay in the final.

Comment

CUT THIS CRAP!!

POWELL is gunning for gold too. You can check back here after London GP and see what I mean!

Comment

Scratchman:

I was on trackshark for a while. I didn't think reason floated as much over there, though, as it does here. In addition to that, I hate posting on forums, but because I'm hurt and can't workout, and because Gay and Bolt are just being sick right now, I have to talk somewhere. So I've risked showing up here again.

....We had reason enough to know a good opinion when we read one :wink:
                              There were some strong, knowledgeable people on Shark when I was on there. Sure, you had a few knuckleheads (like anywhere else). But overall, I thought the majority brought some quality stuff to the table. Maybe I just found a guy that TOTALLY thinks the way I do and I'm just amazed the identical thought trends thus far.
                              Keep 'em coming.

Comment

Daniel Bailey is making some noise, but he isn't in Powell's class. And I think with the focus on Bolt and Gay there won't be as much pressure on Powell to do well. With that in mind, here are my predictions for the 100m and 200m mens' final in Berlin:

100m

1st Bolt - 9.61
                                2nd Gay - 9.68
                                3rd Powell - 9.79
                                4th Bailey - 9.88
                                5th Thompson - 9.92
                                6th Rodgers - 9.94
                                7th Patton - 9.95
                                8th Frater - 9.99

Like I said in previous forums, this is going to be a very fast 100m.

200m

1st Bolt - 19.25
                                2nd Gay - 19.38
                                3rd Spearman - 19.90
                                4th Crawford - 19.92

Put it in stone........

Comment

Working...
                                X