Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Event add/omit at the WC's/Olympics and why?

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    added

    arm-wrestling, worlds strongest man, bench press comp.

    I think while olympic lifts are impressive, how many people do you actually see doing them down your local fitness gym??? so stuff like bench press comp would bring the attention of those type of people. Worlds strongest man is a great event in terms on entertaining and strength. Arm-wrestling is just cool, maybe a bit boring.

    Obviously apart from these not being athletics events, you got the problem of steroid use, which is just accepted in these sports.

    I also wouldn't mind a cricket ball throw or a kick of a ball competition. Once again so people have a prospective of how good these guys actually are.

    Comment


    • #17
      Re: Event add/omit at the WC's/Olympics and why?

      Perhaps change the Marathon to a Half-Marathon then eliminate the World Half Marathon Championships?

      It wouldn't be feasible in a World Champs but cross-country in the Olympics would be cool.

      If not, some long distance relay e.g. Ekiden races.

      But I think everyone is fine as it is.
      http://twitter.com/Trackside2011

      Comment


      • #18
        Other than PED violations racewalking is the other element taking away respect for T&F. So I would say Racewalking s'gotta go. Might as well had curling.

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by knite
          Originally posted by LopenUupunut
          In any case, the most teamable event of all is easily the javelin. If you think of the original context of war and throwing spears at the enemy, it's all very good to have one great javelin thrower but surely having a teamful makes much more sense?
          How would this be staged, if I may ask?
          I'm sure that at least the clever and innovative guys at European Athletics could come up with something... :evil:

          Well, here are four possible formats:
          1) The Adding-Up Format. They just stage a normal competition, but with five guys per nation allowed. Every nation is allowed, say, 16 throws in total, which can be used by any of the five - it's okay that four guys throw once and one guy throws 12 times. You add everybody's best result up.

          2) The Depth Format. This is the same as above, but not everybody's result counts. Instead, the best result of the fourth best thrower decides. (This allows one guy to have a bad day or even get injured. Obviously something similar could be done in format #1 too but it would matter more here.)

          3) The Speedy Format. Five guys throw consecutively up the same runway. The last javelin must be flying within, say, a minute (or perhaps 45 seconds) of the first thrower starting to run. (This obviously means that the first four guys have to speedily duck out of the others' way. If they don't make it in time - well, the next guy just has to throw over and from behind them... The excitement-loving crowd would surely like this format.) The sum of all five marks is what matters. This should probably be run as a multi-round competition.

          4) The Very Simple Format. They just give us the gold medals, preferably with a ceremony.

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by Speedfirst
            Eliminate the walk.
            Since the walks do not take place on the track they do not, as a fan, bother me. I say kill the 10k runs. The 5k has already severely stretched my ability to care about watching folks run in circles as it is.

            Comment


            • #21
              Add 4x 150m shuttle relays!!!

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by LopenUupunut
                Originally posted by knite
                Originally posted by LopenUupunut
                In any case, the most teamable event of all is easily the javelin. If you think of the original context of war and throwing spears at the enemy, it's all very good to have one great javelin thrower but surely having a teamful makes much more sense?
                How would this be staged, if I may ask?
                I'm sure that at least the clever and innovative guys at European Athletics could come up with something... :evil:

                Well, here are four possible formats:
                You missed an obvious choice: two-person teams - one person throws, the other one catches . . .

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by LopenUupunut
                  3) The Speedy Format. Five guys throw consecutively up the same runway. The last javelin must be flying within, say, a minute (or perhaps 45 seconds) of the first thrower starting to run. (This obviously means that the first four guys have to speedily duck out of the others' way. If they don't make it in time - well, the next guy just has to throw over and from behind them... The excitement-loving crowd would surely like this format.) The sum of all five marks is what matters. This should probably be run as a multi-round competition.
                  Could be great for the athletes and spectators, not so much for the officials!

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Re: Event add/omit at the WC's/Olympics and why?

                    Originally posted by Daisy
                    Womens decathlon
                    I'd rather see men and women both do the heptathlon (perhaps with a 1500 instead of 800) and do the 7 events in one day. The pole vault requirement keeps out too many good athletes from poorer countries, and the 2-day length of the decathlon keeps it out of too many meets.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by bad hammy
                      You missed an obvious choice: two-person teams - one person throws, the other one catches . . .
                      Teams of 10-20 javelin throwers plus 10 sprinters (or long jumpers). Each round, the javelin throwers throw a volley at the other team's sprinters who try to avoid getting hit. The competition ends when one side runs out of sprinters.

                      Well, either that, or a 12000 meter steeplechase.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        I would make the steeplechase and 10k a "devil takes all" format. where the last guy to cross the line has to fall out until the last two are left to battle it out for the final lap.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Re: Event add/omit at the WC's/Olympics and why?

                          Originally posted by Daisy
                          Originally posted by Marlow
                          Originally posted by Daisy
                          Womens decathlon
                          Word!
                          :?: :?:
                          Yo' mama!

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by Paul Henry
                            I would make the steeplechase and 10k a "devil takes all" format. where the last guy to cross the line has to fall out until the last two are left to battle it out for the final lap.
                            Oh please no!
                            http://twitter.com/Trackside2011

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Re: Event add/omit at the WC's/Olympics and why?

                              Originally posted by Marlow
                              Originally posted by Daisy
                              Originally posted by Marlow
                              Originally posted by Daisy
                              Womens decathlon
                              Word!
                              :?: :?:
                              Yo' mama!
                              :?: :?:

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by Paul Henry
                                I would make the steeplechase and 10k a "devil takes all" format. where the last guy to cross the line has to fall out until the last two are left to battle it out for the final lap.
                                You would
                                on the road

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X