Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Event add/omit at the WC's/Olympics and why?

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flumpy
    replied
    Originally posted by cacique
    flumpster,

not that i knew what that is , but i looked it up and it's distance medley relay. 4 runners run legs of 400, 800, 1200 and 1600 m each.
    Thankyou.

Now I can categorically state that we REALLY do not need one at the Olympics.

Leave a comment:

• bman
    replied
    Originally posted by pherekydes
    Originally posted by Flumpy
    What is a DMR???
    Distance medley relay.

Having seen Stefan Holm hopping languidly over 6 foot hurdles on youtube I'd like to see the 110m Hurdles with 6 foot barriers.

What do you think, Mark?
    Yea that is an insane video!

Leave a comment:

• bman
    replied
    Originally posted by Pentathlete 2
    I'd like to add some of the discontinued events back in.

60m
    200h
    two handed discus (throw R, throw L, add total)
    two handed javelin
    two handed shot
    56 pound weight throw
    pentathlon
    tug of war
    I have always loved the classic pentathlon from the Jim Thorpe days: 200; standing long jump; Javelin; Discus; 1500. I would love to have that, but what I would love even more is the true Greek Pentathlon with the 200, SLJ, Lav, Disc, and the top 2 competitors after those 4 events square off in a Greco-Roman wrestling match to decide the winner.

Tug-of-War would be badass, imagine Team Nelson Hoffa Cantwell Taylor for the USA!

Leave a comment:

• cacique
    replied
    flumpster,

not that i knew what that is , but i looked it up and it's distance medley relay. 4 runners run legs of 400, 800, 1200 and 1600 m each.

Leave a comment:

• pherekydes
    replied
    Originally posted by Flumpy
    What is a DMR???
    Distance medley relay.

Having seen Stefan Holm hopping languidly over 6 foot hurdles on youtube I'd like to see the 110m Hurdles with 6 foot barriers.

What do you think, Mark?

Leave a comment:

• Flumpy
    replied
    What is a DMR???

Leave a comment:

• lonewolf
    replied
    Originally posted by poodabear
    Originally posted by lonewolf
    The Olympics proper does not need another relay. In fact, I rather like the idea of moving the 4x1 and 4x4 to an Olympic Relay meet, scheduled to allow athletes to compete their individual events without juggling relay legs. You could have a smorgasborg of relays.
    I like that idea but then you will need more than 2 relays. Don't you need more than two to consider it a smorgasborg? :lol: :wink:
    Certainly, you could have 4x1, 4x2,4x4, 4x8,4x15, 4x5k (that might be stretching it) DMR, SMR, ( different combinations) shuttle hurdles, ..anything your mind can conceive. You could even have coed races, although, pesonally, I would not vote for that.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    I'd like to add some of the discontinued events back in.

60m
    200h
    two handed discus (throw R, throw L, add total)
    two handed javelin
    two handed shot
    56 pound weight throw
    pentathlon
    tug of war

Leave a comment:

• steve
    replied
    Originally posted by marknhj
    Originally posted by steve
    I'd prefer to watch an egg and spoon race. Although a sack race may be more entertaining.
    Yes, of course you would....
    Your point is?
    When I read your post I wondered who would equate two common US relay distances (which are pretty fun to watch) with two picnic games. When I saw your name I thought it made sense that as a HJ'er you wouldn't be as interested in adding more running relays. I should have bolded the 'you' and put smileys after it to make it make more sense. Sorry for the confusion.

Leave a comment:

• rasb
    replied
    Originally posted by Seeksreal
    I think a mixed relay could be interesting. It could be done medley style or not, but I like the idea of mixing male and female athletes and getting a truer competition between nations. It may also help even out the playing field for those countries with less depth in their talent pool.
    The mixed relay could be very interesting --- depending on what was allowed, encouraged, or even mandated within the "passing" zones....

Leave a comment:

• poodabear
    replied
    Originally posted by lonewolf
    The Olympics proper does not need another relay. In fact, I rather like the idea of moving the 4x1 and 4x4 to an Olympic Relay meet, scheduled to allow athletes to compete their individual events without juggling relay legs. You could have a smorgasborg of relays.
    I like that idea but then you will need more than 2 relays. Don't you need more than two to consider it a smorgasborg? :lol: :wink:

Leave a comment:

• poodabear
    replied
    Originally posted by poodabear
    BTW for those who don't know. The DMR or Distance medley relay is 1200, 400, 800, 1600 legs. There are 2 types of SMRs or Sprint Medley Relays. One is run with 200, 200, 400, 800 legs. The other is run with 100,100,200,400 legs.
    I'd prefer to watch an egg and spoon race. Although a sack race may be more entertaining. Throwers and jumpers could participate so everyone has a shot at multiple medals....
    Ok ,then tell us what you would add or omit from the Olympics.

Leave a comment:

• Seeksreal
    replied
    I think a mixed relay could be interesting. It could be done medley style or not, but I like the idea of mixing male and female athletes and getting a truer competition between nations. It may also help even out the playing field for those countries with less depth in their talent pool.

Leave a comment:

replied
    The point of the ascertaining poster is that there is a noticeable lack vowels in your user identification, with the last letters being rknhj. What is an "rknhj"? I have been puzzled over this for two weeks now. Is it an imitation of Gebrselassie?

Leave a comment:

• lonewolf
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X