Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Event add/omit at the WC's/Olympics and why?

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

women have to do decathlon, ekiden relay and womens hurdles get raised.

i'm not a fan of walks it's just to contrived but i wouldn't take them out, someone like robert korzenowski is an amazing athlete
    i deserve extra credit

Comment

Re: Event add/omit at the WC's/Olympics and why?

Originally posted by guruof track
      Originally posted by knite
      What event would you like to see added to a major meeting or omitted from the champs itself?
      4x800.........or the DMR. That be fun to watch.

)
      I would love to see a 4x8 and/or DMR as well....i give the distance folks their own relays...since there are 2 sprint relays....

DMR a HUUUUUGE battle between kenya and ethiopia...

Comment

To go: the walks. Fine athletes I know, but silly events. Kind of like a 3-legged race, but without the binding to keep them honest. It becomes a contest of who can stretch the rules most subtly.

Add: Definitely a longer relay. 4x8 or 4x15 or, best of all, DMR Exciting events, and would add an extra medal possibility for distance guys.

Women should also transition from the Hept to the Deca finally.

Comment

Get rid of the walks --- too much subjectivity in the judging...
          Add a 4 x800 m. The DMR might be too long, and the 400 m. runners already have enough on their plate.
          Marathons in hot summer locations make no sense....Have the World Marathon Champs. move between the major Spring/Fall Marathons. Maybe just keep the Olympic Marathon, and have a Half Marathon at the Worlds...
          Cross-country running should be in the Winter Olympics...
          Obviously, submitted by a distance guy...

Comment

Originally posted by rasb
            Marathons in hot summer locations make no sense....Have the World Marathon Champs. move between the major Spring/Fall Marathons. Maybe just keep the Olympic Marathon, and have a Half Marathon at the Worlds...
            Are you suggesting that it's easier to run in the heat at the Olympics than at the World Championships? Summer weather in Beijing is normally much warmer than it is in Berlin. So why should the longer distance be run in the Olympics but not the World Championships?

Comment

Get rid of the walks --- too much subjectivity in the judging
              I love when people say this and have exactly ZERO experience in the judging of the event. Sprint starting is more subjective in nature, whther using pressure blocks or not. Relay exchanges and the 400H are much harder to officiate, yet rarely does anyone complain about regular rule violations in both that get ignored (& they're often flagrant too even at championship level competitions).

Comment

Originally posted by MJR
                Relay exchanges and the 400H are much harder to officiate, yet rarely does anyone complain about regular rule violations in both that get ignored (& they're often flagrant too even at championship level competitions).
                Yeah, but the relays and the 400h are much more fun to watch . .

Comment

Originally posted by MJR
                  I love when people say this and have exactly ZERO experience in the judging of the event..
                  Do you deny that in the road walks that there's a ton of lifting going on, out away from the judges?

Comment

There is no way to tell, as video operates differently than the human eye & that is the standard of judgement, just like in the 400h. Calls get missed in every event.

I have had video and still shots taken from my judging position where I would have never made a call and it looks like they're illegal. That is because the 2 dimensional aspect of video gives a far different image than what is seen in real time.

In all seriousness, if anyone here wants to stand alongside of me while I judge at Penn or any other race w/ top quality athletes, they are more than welcome. Working alongside any of the IAAF judges in the US would give you greater insight into what is really occurring during these events.

Comment

Originally posted by Marlow
                      Originally posted by MJR
                      I love when people say this and have exactly ZERO experience in the judging of the event..
                      Do you deny that in the road walks that there's a ton of lifting going on, out away from the judges?
                      Add the 4x200 and in the Decathlon eliminate the 400 and the 110h and add the 400h and the triple jump.

Comment

Originally posted by MJR
                        I have had video and still shots taken from my judging position where I would have never made a call and it looks like they're illegal.
                        And that's not a cause for concern? The event is basically "how much can you get away with?"

Comment

1) I'm just saying the Olympic Marathon has more than a little historical significance, and might be worth preserving, in spite of the possibility of adverse weather conditions.
                          2) As for the race-walking, if there were qualified judges/video every step of the way, then that's one concern taken care of. But let's be honest - there aren't and there never will be adequate controls of "illegal" movements. The winners will be very fit, and technically adept athletes, who just cheat a bit better... And I know the event well, thank you...

Comment

Originally posted by Marlow
                            Originally posted by MJR
                            I have had video and still shots taken from my judging position where I would have never made a call and it looks like they're illegal.
                            And that's not a cause for concern? The event is basically "how much can you get away with?"
                            Its not any more of a concern than the 400H runners who are known to hook every hurdle in their race. They get caught, just like the walkers who are in violation & the 100m/110H who play games at the start.

Comment

1) remove the walks, they are not track and field.
                              2) remove the hammer throw, throws have so much trouble getting any interest anyway. plus hammer throw is the most dangerous.
                              3) replace the steeple chase with a 4 mile cross country race with a few barries similar to steeple chase. that would be really interesting.
                              4) replace the women's heptathlon with the decathlon. in multi events would like to see the leader take off first and every one else follow depending on how many points they are behind the leader (nice to have the winner be the one who crosses the finish line first like all other races).
                              5) please dont add any more events, i think 38 events contested in the track and field stadium, plus the two marathons, plus the two cross country races are more than enough.

Comment

team javelin event? why? because finland needs a gold medal at every world champs???

how about a javelin and hammer throw with a target, like in archery?

Comment

Working...
                                X