Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Event add/omit at the WC's/Olympics and why?

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• marknhj
    replied
    Originally posted by steve
    Originally posted by marknhj
    I'd prefer to watch an egg and spoon race. Although a sack race may be more entertaining.
    Yes, of course you would....
    Your point is?

Leave a comment:

• steve
    replied
    Originally posted by marknhj
    I'd prefer to watch an egg and spoon race. Although a sack race may be more entertaining.
    Yes, of course you would....

Leave a comment:

• steve
    replied
    Re: 4x200

Originally posted by Flumpy
    Originally posted by James Fields
    It was stated in this forum, concerning 4x200 relay, that "anywhere outside of the American collegiate system it is unusual ... "
    -----------
    The 4x200 has been common in USA high schools for more than 60 years, though not always run in lanes all the way, and can be found in the national HS federation rulebook. It's also in USA middle schools program.
    Compared to that volume, American collegiate 4x200 competition could be labeled rare.
    Collegiate? High School? Whatever!!!

Anywhere outside the American educational system it's unusual. Is that better???
    While I know it's not common outside of the US, I picked it for its excitement. If you've never seen one run it may be hard to believe. When the 3rd leg breaks for the inside lane at 200m sprint speeds it's pretty thrilling!

Leave a comment:

• marknhj
    replied
    Originally posted by poodabear
    BTW for those who don't know. The DMR or Distance medley relay is 1200, 400, 800, 1600 legs. There are 2 types of SMRs or Sprint Medley Relays. One is run with 200, 200, 400, 800 legs. The other is run with 100,100,200,400 legs.
    I'd prefer to watch an egg and spoon race. Although a sack race may be more entertaining. Throwers and jumpers could participate so everyone has a shot at multiple medals....

Leave a comment:

• poodabear
    replied
    Add the 4X800, DMR and SMR and make the last two days of the Olympic track session, Relay Days. The next to last day, the first event is 4X100, run the SMR somewhere in the middle and close the day with the 4X800. On the last day, Run the DMR as the 1st event & end the meet as usual with 4X400.

BTW for those who don't know. The DMR or Distance medley relay is 1200, 400, 800, 1600 legs. There are 2 types of SMRs or Sprint Medley Relays. One is run with 200, 200, 400, 800 legs. The other is run with 100,100,200,400 legs. They are both compelling. But can you imagine the Jamaican and the American woman running the latter SMR. (Kerron ,Frazier, Brown & Williams) vs Lee, Jeter, Felix & Richards) That would be awesome!

Leave a comment:

• knite
    replied
    Few only pay attention to RW events...its the one event I must say that I have no desire to watch.

DMR would be an excellent addition though, and would be very exciting to watch on that level. Yes the Kenyans and Ethiopians would do very well, but don't count out some of these other nations who can step with them in a relay format.

Leave a comment:

• pherekydes
    replied
    Originally posted by MJR
    There is no way to tell, as video operates differently than the human eye & that is the standard of judgement, just like in the 400h. Calls get missed in every event.
    You'd wonder why Walking has such an opposition to using technology to help judging?

They disqualify relay teams after the event; they DQ hurdlers after the event, and they most definitely rule on foul throws and jumps after the event. They even use high tech equipment to measure said jumps and throws. None of Walking's "Ah sure it looks good, so put down 75m" culture.

Walking knows that if they used automatic technology to judge walking races the sport of Racewalking would become a laughing stock. So join the rest of the Athletics fraternity.

Leave a comment:

• Flumpy
    replied
    Re: 4x200

Originally posted by James Fields
    It was stated in this forum, concerning 4x200 relay, that "anywhere outside of the American collegiate system it is unusual ... "
    -----------
    The 4x200 has been common in USA high schools for more than 60 years, though not always run in lanes all the way, and can be found in the national HS federation rulebook. It's also in USA middle schools program.
    Compared to that volume, American collegiate 4x200 competition could be labeled rare.
    Collegiate? High School? Whatever!!!

Anywhere outside the American educational system it's unusual. Is that better???

Leave a comment:

• James Fields
    replied
    4x200

-----------

Leave a comment:

• Speedfirst
    replied
    Originally posted by Flumpy
    Originally posted by Speedfirst
    Why a 4x200, it is a sprint relay for one. You make it seem like it's something unusual.
    Are you speaking to me???

If so anywhere outside of the American collegiate system it is unusual and has absolutely no place at the Olympics. I fail to see why being a sprint relay should make it anything other than a complete nonsense.
    Yes, I am speaking to you, you did ask. It's my choice, you don't have to like it 8-)

Leave a comment:

• Flumpy
    replied
    Originally posted by Speedfirst
    Why a 4x200, it is a sprint relay for one. You make it seem like it's something unusual.
    Are you speaking to me???

If so anywhere outside of the American collegiate system it is unusual and has absolutely no place at the Olympics. I fail to see why being a sprint relay should make it anything other than a complete nonsense.

Leave a comment:

• Speedfirst
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Flumpy
    replied
    Originally posted by gh
    Originally posted by tm71
    3) replace the steeple chase with a 4 mile cross country race with a few barries similar to steeple chase. that would be really interesting....
    I would def. vote for this (not nec. at "4M"). Something like a real cross country race, with uphill/downhill, barriers and water. Obviously, not run in the stadium. Perhaps at—seriously—20K, halfway between the 10K and the marathon.
    Great idea but it should be at the Winter Olympics.

Leave a comment:

• Flumpy
    replied
    Originally posted by steve
    Originally posted by Marlow
    Originally posted by MJR
    Originally posted by rasb
    Get rid of the walks --- too much subjectivity in the judging
    I love when people say this and have exactly ZERO experience in the judging of the event..
    Do you deny that in the road walks that there's a ton of lifting going on, out away from the judges?
    Add the 4x200 and in the Decathlon eliminate the 400 and the 110h and add the 400h and the triple jump.
    Why on earth would anyone want a 4x200 relay???

What's a DMR???

Deffo need an Ekiden added. I've always thought it really unfair that sprinters can go home with 3 or 4 gold medals and are somehow lauded as better Olympians that those in longer events who don't get the chance. Maybe make it mixed sex.

Ethiopia v Kenya would out amazing!!!

Leave a comment:

• scratchman
    replied
    Originally posted by knite
    Originally posted by guruof track
    The 4x200 in Texas has ruined the state meet in my opinion, especially considering the relays are double points. It takes the FASTEST individuals out of the open events and waters down the 4x4 and the 4x1 times.
    Yup
    I agree.
    As much as I LOOOOOOVE watching the 4X2, I think its unecessary and unfair at the state meet. Texas is a sprint-friendly state. Sprinters have soooo many opportunities to qualify for state. Distance runners have no relay events. I think the DMR would be a fair addition. I'd drop the 4X2...Not cuz I dont wanna see it. But becuz its really not needed.
    They should keep it as a special event at major relay meets like Texas, Penn, Sac, etc..

Leave a comment:

Working...
X