Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Event add/omit at the WC's/Olympics and why?

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tm71
    3) replace the steeple chase with a 4 mile cross country race with a few barries similar to steeple chase. that would be really interesting....
    I would def. vote for this (not nec. at "4M"). Something like a real cross country race, with uphill/downhill, barriers and water. Obviously, not run in the stadium. Perhaps at—seriously—20K, halfway between the 10K and the marathon.

Comment

Sounds like orienteering without the maps and on a very easy course. No thanks.

Originally posted by cacique
      team javelin event? why? because finland needs a gold medal at every world champs???
      The four team events already existing mainly serve to give US extra medals. And it's not as if they're not getting plenty anyway.

But if I just wanted Finland to get more medals, I'd propose some more Finnish event, like the sauna boot triathlon. The competitors first have to survive an hour in a sauna at 90°C (194°F), then cross a mosquito-filled swamp a mile wide wearing nothing but underpants and a pair of rubber boots in the time specified, and then throw one of the boots, freestyle, as far as possible. (They aren't allowed to clean off any of the mud they picked up in the swamp first. Anyone who loses one or both boots in the swamp is automatically disqualified.) Only the result of the boot throw actually counts (which is why it's T&F!), but you need loads of endurance to make it that far (and still have energy left to throw).

OK, so I made that one up, but it might be fun.

Comment

DMR definitely.
        In fact, I think they should add it to every championship level (high school state, collegiate nationals, Olys). Its only fair that distance competitors have a shot at a medal via relays.

...But because Im selfish, I'd also LOVE to see a 4X2.
        Could yall imagine Bolt and Gay on 3rd???
        :shock: :shock: :shock:
        Splits would be SICK!
        Sick, I say!!!!

Comment

team javelin event? why? because finland needs a gold medal at every world champs???

how about a javelin and hammer throw with a target, like in archery?
          Long jumpers should be rejoicing for this move. :lol: :lol:

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Henry

how about a javelin and hammer throw with a target, like in archery?
            Long jumpers should be rejoicing for this move. :lol: :lol:
            That should be a part of some Ultra UFC fighting rather than T&F...LOL, I couldn't imagine being an official during this event! :shock:

Women's Deca would be good though as others have noted, along with the DMR.

Comment

Originally posted by MJR
              There is no way to tell, as video operates differently than the human eye & that is the standard of judgement, just like in the 400h. Calls get missed in every event.

I have had video and still shots taken from my judging position where I would have never made a call and it looks like they're illegal. That is because the 2 dimensional aspect of video gives a far different image than what is seen in real time.

In all seriousness, if anyone here wants to stand alongside of me while I judge at Penn or any other race w/ top quality athletes, they are more than welcome. Working alongside any of the IAAF judges in the US would give you greater insight into what is really occurring during these events.
              Or they don't get call'd @ all due to lack of walk judges @ various meets. At a recent JO Regional the crowd got up in arms about the large # of DQs in the various age-group walking events. In many cases, the kids were never subject'd to serious judging until the Regional level when they found their walking form didn't pass the muster.

Comment

Originally posted by ndamix
                Originally posted by MJR
                There is no way to tell, as video operates differently than the human eye & that is the standard of judgement, just like in the 400h. Calls get missed in every event.

I have had video and still shots taken from my judging position where I would have never made a call and it looks like they're illegal. That is because the 2 dimensional aspect of video gives a far different image than what is seen in real time.

In all seriousness, if anyone here wants to stand alongside of me while I judge at Penn or any other race w/ top quality athletes, they are more than welcome. Working alongside any of the IAAF judges in the US would give you greater insight into what is really occurring during these events.
                Or they don't get call'd @ all due to lack of walk judges @ various meets. At a recent JO Regional the crowd got up in arms about the large # of DQs in the various age-group walking events. In many cases, the kids were never subject'd to serious judging until the Regional level when they found their walking form didn't pass the muster.
                More reason to omit the walking..LOL
                on the road

Comment

boys, i said targets like in archery! last i checked, they don't use human targets.

Comment

boys, i said targets like in archery! last i checked, they don't use human targets.
                    That depends on their aim. :lol:
                    on the road

Comment

Originally posted by Speedfirst
                      That depends on their aim. :lol:
                      LOL...exactly!

Comment

Originally posted by LopenUupunut
                        No extra relays. Definitely no extra relays. Two's already more than enough.

In any case, the most teamable event of all is easily the javelin. If you think of the original context of war and throwing spears at the enemy, it's all very good to have one great javelin thrower but surely having a teamful makes much more sense?
                        I'd like to see a javelin relay. "baton" passing might be just a little tougher than the running relays however the survivors would do pretty well.

Comment

Originally posted by bad hammy
                          Originally posted by Speedfirst
                          Eliminate the walk.
                          Since the walks do not take place on the track they do not, as a fan, bother me. I say kill the 10k runs. The 5k has already severely stretched my ability to care about watching folks run in circles as it is.
                          There's a band of LetRun.com ers descending upon your home. Take precaution.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                            Originally posted by tm71
                            3) replace the steeple chase with a 4 mile cross country race with a few barries similar to steeple chase. that would be really interesting....
                            I would def. vote for this (not nec. at "4M"). Something like a real cross country race, with uphill/downhill, barriers and water. Obviously, not run in the stadium. Perhaps at—seriously—20K, halfway between the 10K and the marathon.
                            I like this one also.

Comment

Javelin-Sprint Relay...

Teams of 2 athletes (1 javelin thrower and 1 sprinter).

-The Javelin thrower MUST throw >65m or it's a foul.

-The sprinter starts at the foul line and sprints downfield and attemps to catch the javelin. If he catches it then you record the distance where it was caught. But the throw must be over 65m.

-And the furthest mark wins.

Comment

Originally posted by ross sez
                                Javelin-Sprint Relay...

Teams of 2 athletes (1 javelin thrower and 1 sprinter).

-The Javelin thrower MUST throw >65m or it's a foul.

-The sprinter starts at the foul line and sprints downfield and attemps to catch the javelin. If he catches it then you record the distance where it was caught. But the throw must be over 65m.

-And the furthest mark wins.
                                what would be interesting is the training that would go into an event like this. I bet there'd be new traing partners frequently!

Comment

Working...
                                X