Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Event add/omit at the WC's/Olympics and why?

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ndamix
    replied
    Originally posted by lonewolf
    Originally posted by Speedfirst
    [, I make ALL my sprinters run the 400m, I don't care how much belly aching :x
    Yup. Makes 'em appreciate going back to their regular shorter or longer events.
    My college coach made EVERYBODY run a solo 440 the first day reporting in the fall to see how well they had maintained over the summer. That is how I was "discovered".. I was on academic scholarship and had never heard of athletic scholarships but "walked on" as a freshman because track was what I did best. I ran a 48.0. The top returning senior ran 47.9... but he got faster.
    I did not, for a while. What the coach did not know was I had been running down jackrabbits all my life and was never "out of shape".
    Freshman were not eligible for varsity competition in those days but we had the state sprint champions from Okla, Ark and NY :?: and me on my freshman team. We ran some pretty good 440 and Mile Relays. We set an NCAA Freshman 440 R record. I don't remember the time but we received little track shoe pendants commemorating the record.
    Lonewolf, you're the MAN & an athletic stud....come to think about not a bad horizontal jumps official either.... :lol: :wink:

Leave a comment:

• Speedfirst
    replied
    I hear you, I know in my case, I am more the exception than the rule, again due to what I have set in place. But I have been down the road you're describing.

I love to have the double relay points, especially with my depth

Leave a comment:

• guruof track
    replied
    I dont disagree with the essence of what your saying, I'm just saying that not MOST coaches reality.

Texas has a VERY unique system. No Prelims, only 3 running events, double relay points...those three alone make for tough coaching decisions.

If you have 5 kids who can run 21.9 or lower then you probably wont have that problem (as much), but how many schools have that?

Some teams have a bunch of average kids and 1 STUD who can turn 2 relays into primetime competitiors. Asa a coach you are FORCED to decide if you would rather risk him in the open for about 20 points or relays for about 40 points. Its a cut and dry decision for most coaches.

Leave a comment:

• Speedfirst
    replied
    [quote=guruof track]
    Originally posted by knite
    Originally posted by "guruof track":2hwxyc22
    The 4x200 in Texas has ruined the state meet in my opinion, especially considering the relays are double points. It takes the FASTEST individuals out of the open events and waters down the 4x4 and the 4x1 times.
    Yup
    If you have quality depth on your team, you can field all 3 relays and the open events as well. In Illinois the 4x200 only really affects the 400m, since there back to back. One reason, I make ALL my sprinters run the 400m, I don't care how much belly aching :x
    Seeing that they are limited to 3 running event AT the most, its not much that can be done to combat this. The DOUBLE points makes that RULE even worse for individual events.

Not many high schools have that kind of depth.[/quote:2hwxyc22]

We get up to 4 running events, but IMO, if you want the depth, you gotta get the kids to run. One reason I coach football (freshman), coach at the Jr. High and run a summer track club,.... gotta keep the developing the feeder program. Gotta keep sowing the seeds. :wink:

Leave a comment:

• guruof track
    replied
    Originally posted by guruof track
    The 4x200 in Texas has ruined the state meet in my opinion, especially considering the relays are double points. It takes the FASTEST individuals out of the open events and waters down the 4x4 and the 4x1 times.
    Yup
    If you have quality depth on your team, you can field all 3 relays and the open events as well. In Illinois the 4x200 only really affects the 400m, since there back to back. One reason, I make ALL my sprinters run the 400m, I don't care how much belly aching :x
    Seeing that they are limited to 3 running event AT the most, its not much that can be done to combat this. The DOUBLE points makes that RULE even worse for individual events.

Not many high schools have that kind of depth.

Leave a comment:

• lonewolf
    replied
    [, I make ALL my sprinters run the 400m, I don't care how much belly aching :x
    Yup. Makes 'em appreciate going back to their regular shorter or longer events.
    My college coach made EVERYBODY run a solo 440 the first day reporting in the fall to see how well they had maintained over the summer. That is how I was "discovered".. I was on academic scholarship and had never heard of athletic scholarships but "walked on" as a freshman because track was what I did best. I ran a 48.0. The top returning senior ran 47.9... but he got faster.
    I did not, for a while. What the coach did not know was I had been running down jackrabbits all my life and was never "out of shape".
    Freshman were not eligible for varsity competition in those days but we had the state sprint champions from Okla, Ark and NY :?: and me on my freshman team. We ran some pretty good 440 and Mile Relays. We set an NCAA Freshman 440 R record. I don't remember the time but we received little track shoe pendants commemorating the record.

Leave a comment:

• Speedfirst
    replied
    Originally posted by ndamix
    Originally posted by cacique
    boys, i said targets like in archery! last i checked, they don't use human targets.
    That depends on their aim. :lol:
    not to mention, how they feel..... **gulp**
    LOL....yeah., they better not be distracted, thinking about all their significant other :shock:

Leave a comment:

• ndamix
    replied
    Originally posted by ndamix
    Originally posted by MJR
    There is no way to tell, as video operates differently than the human eye & that is the standard of judgement, just like in the 400h. Calls get missed in every event.

I have had video and still shots taken from my judging position where I would have never made a call and it looks like they're illegal. That is because the 2 dimensional aspect of video gives a far different image than what is seen in real time.

In all seriousness, if anyone here wants to stand alongside of me while I judge at Penn or any other race w/ top quality athletes, they are more than welcome. Working alongside any of the IAAF judges in the US would give you greater insight into what is really occurring during these events.
    Or they don't get call'd @ all due to lack of walk judges @ various meets. At a recent JO Regional the crowd got up in arms about the large # of DQs in the various age-group walking events. In many cases, the kids were never subject'd to serious judging until the Regional level when they found their walking form didn't pass the muster.
    More reason to omit the walking..LOL
    You're incorrigible, Speed. :lol:

Leave a comment:

• ndamix
    replied
    Originally posted by cacique
    boys, i said targets like in archery! last i checked, they don't use human targets.
    That depends on their aim. :lol:
    not to mention, how they feel..... **gulp**

Leave a comment:

• knite
    replied
    Originally posted by polevaultpower
    Replace the women's heptathlon with the women's decathlon.
    Yes, it appears that the Women's Deca and DMR relays(men & women) have both been high on the list.

Leave a comment:

• polevaultpower
    replied
    Replace the women's heptathlon with the women's decathlon.

Leave a comment:

• Speedfirst
    replied
    Yup

Leave a comment:

• knite
    replied
    Yup

Leave a comment:

• guruof track
    replied

Leave a comment:

• scratchman
    replied
    Originally posted by bman
    Wow there are some mad scientists in this thread.

I liked The Atheist's idea at trackshark of the kick event. The kick has become a popular measure of athleticism in modern times like throwing and jumping. You could make like a special ball for the event that goes real far, have fouls and everything, it would be badass.

I also like the idea of having a combination height-distance jump. Imagine a bar over a long jump pit that moves up and out at a predetermined angle...

Please no 4x200! I can not stand this event. The staggers are so ridiculous the race is not fun to watch until the end when it is no longer close. Furthermore, the 200 and the 100 both don't need relays. They are similar as is and the 4x100 is a much funner race to watch.

The DMR is stupid as well. The 400 means nothing and the 800 is not very important either. Only 2 countries would be in the race and frankly Ethiopia probably couldn't hang. I must admit though I would like to see it at a European meet just for fun to see what would happen.

I think a great idea for a distance relay would be to do a 5k race, with each team comprised of 2 runners. There would be not be any designated change zones, or perhaps the runners without batons would have to stay in the outside lanes, and the baton could change hands at whatever intervals the team so chose. I got this idea from the cycling race that works like this.

The possibilities are endless. You could just pas every 400, or do like longer legs at the beginning and change to shorter passes at the end for a frantic kick.

I have more ideas but I have to gather my thoughts.
    Maybe you havent been to a meet here in Texas before! :shock: :lol:
    Down here, the 4XDeuce is a HUUUUUUUUGE attraction, and the races are almost NEVER NOT close. We run the hell outa that down here. Dont get me wrong....I dont think it should be an Oly event either. Personally, I think the DMR is a perfect addition for mid & distance runners. But I just wanted to defend one of my favorite events.
    ...Quit hating on my deuce relay! :lol:

Leave a comment:

Working...
X