Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Event add/omit at the WC's/Olympics and why?

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
    bman

• bman
    replied
    Wow there are some mad scientists in this thread.

I liked The Atheist's idea at trackshark of the kick event. The kick has become a popular measure of athleticism in modern times like throwing and jumping. You could make like a special ball for the event that goes real far, have fouls and everything, it would be badass.

I also like the idea of having a combination height-distance jump. Imagine a bar over a long jump pit that moves up and out at a predetermined angle...

Please no 4x200! I can not stand this event. The staggers are so ridiculous the race is not fun to watch until the end when it is no longer close. Furthermore, the 200 and the 100 both don't need relays. They are similar as is and the 4x100 is a much funner race to watch.

The DMR is stupid as well. The 400 means nothing and the 800 is not very important either. Only 2 countries would be in the race and frankly Ethiopia probably couldn't hang. I must admit though I would like to see it at a European meet just for fun to see what would happen.

I think a great idea for a distance relay would be to do a 5k race, with each team comprised of 2 runners. There would be not be any designated change zones, or perhaps the runners without batons would have to stay in the outside lanes, and the baton could change hands at whatever intervals the team so chose. I got this idea from the cycling race that works like this.

The possibilities are endless. You could just pas every 400, or do like longer legs at the beginning and change to shorter passes at the end for a frantic kick.

I have more ideas but I have to gather my thoughts.

Leave a comment:

• knite

• knite
    replied
    Originally posted by ross sez
    Javelin-Sprint Relay...

Teams of 2 athletes (1 javelin thrower and 1 sprinter).

-The Javelin thrower MUST throw >65m or it's a foul.

-The sprinter starts at the foul line and sprints downfield and attemps to catch the javelin. If he catches it then you record the distance where it was caught. But the throw must be over 65m.

-And the furthest mark wins.
    what would be interesting is the training that would go into an event like this. I bet there'd be new traing partners frequently!

Leave a comment:

• ross sez

• ross sez
    replied
    Javelin-Sprint Relay...

Teams of 2 athletes (1 javelin thrower and 1 sprinter).

-The Javelin thrower MUST throw >65m or it's a foul.

-The sprinter starts at the foul line and sprints downfield and attemps to catch the javelin. If he catches it then you record the distance where it was caught. But the throw must be over 65m.

-And the furthest mark wins.

Leave a comment:

• Dutra

• Dutra
    replied
    Originally posted by gh
    Originally posted by tm71
    3) replace the steeple chase with a 4 mile cross country race with a few barries similar to steeple chase. that would be really interesting....
    I would def. vote for this (not nec. at "4M"). Something like a real cross country race, with uphill/downhill, barriers and water. Obviously, not run in the stadium. Perhaps at—seriously—20K, halfway between the 10K and the marathon.
    I like this one also.

Leave a comment:

• Dutra

• Dutra
    replied
    Originally posted by bad hammy
    Originally posted by Speedfirst
    Eliminate the walk.
    Since the walks do not take place on the track they do not, as a fan, bother me. I say kill the 10k runs. The 5k has already severely stretched my ability to care about watching folks run in circles as it is.
    There's a band of LetRun.com ers descending upon your home. Take precaution.

Leave a comment:

• Dutra

• Dutra
    replied
    Originally posted by LopenUupunut
    No extra relays. Definitely no extra relays. Two's already more than enough.

In any case, the most teamable event of all is easily the javelin. If you think of the original context of war and throwing spears at the enemy, it's all very good to have one great javelin thrower but surely having a teamful makes much more sense?
    I'd like to see a javelin relay. "baton" passing might be just a little tougher than the running relays however the survivors would do pretty well.

Leave a comment:

• knite

• knite
    replied
    Originally posted by Speedfirst
    Originally posted by cacique
    boys, i said targets like in archery! last i checked, they don't use human targets.
    That depends on their aim. :lol:
    LOL...exactly!

Leave a comment:

• Speedfirst

• Speedfirst
    replied
    boys, i said targets like in archery! last i checked, they don't use human targets.
    That depends on their aim. :lol:

Leave a comment:

• cacique

• cacique
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Speedfirst

• Speedfirst
    replied
    Originally posted by ndamix
    Originally posted by MJR
    There is no way to tell, as video operates differently than the human eye & that is the standard of judgement, just like in the 400h. Calls get missed in every event.

I have had video and still shots taken from my judging position where I would have never made a call and it looks like they're illegal. That is because the 2 dimensional aspect of video gives a far different image than what is seen in real time.

In all seriousness, if anyone here wants to stand alongside of me while I judge at Penn or any other race w/ top quality athletes, they are more than welcome. Working alongside any of the IAAF judges in the US would give you greater insight into what is really occurring during these events.
    Or they don't get call'd @ all due to lack of walk judges @ various meets. At a recent JO Regional the crowd got up in arms about the large # of DQs in the various age-group walking events. In many cases, the kids were never subject'd to serious judging until the Regional level when they found their walking form didn't pass the muster.
    More reason to omit the walking..LOL

Leave a comment:

• ndamix

• ndamix
    replied
    Originally posted by MJR
    There is no way to tell, as video operates differently than the human eye & that is the standard of judgement, just like in the 400h. Calls get missed in every event.

I have had video and still shots taken from my judging position where I would have never made a call and it looks like they're illegal. That is because the 2 dimensional aspect of video gives a far different image than what is seen in real time.

In all seriousness, if anyone here wants to stand alongside of me while I judge at Penn or any other race w/ top quality athletes, they are more than welcome. Working alongside any of the IAAF judges in the US would give you greater insight into what is really occurring during these events.
    Or they don't get call'd @ all due to lack of walk judges @ various meets. At a recent JO Regional the crowd got up in arms about the large # of DQs in the various age-group walking events. In many cases, the kids were never subject'd to serious judging until the Regional level when they found their walking form didn't pass the muster.

Leave a comment:

• knite

• knite
    replied
    Originally posted by Paul Henry
    team javelin event? why? because finland needs a gold medal at every world champs???

how about a javelin and hammer throw with a target, like in archery?
    Long jumpers should be rejoicing for this move. :lol: :lol:
    That should be a part of some Ultra UFC fighting rather than T&F...LOL, I couldn't imagine being an official during this event! :shock:

Women's Deca would be good though as others have noted, along with the DMR.

Leave a comment:

• Paul Henry

• Paul Henry
    replied
    team javelin event? why? because finland needs a gold medal at every world champs???

how about a javelin and hammer throw with a target, like in archery?
    Long jumpers should be rejoicing for this move. :lol: :lol:

Leave a comment:

• scratchman

• scratchman
    replied
    DMR definitely.
    In fact, I think they should add it to every championship level (high school state, collegiate nationals, Olys). Its only fair that distance competitors have a shot at a medal via relays.

...But because Im selfish, I'd also LOVE to see a 4X2.
    Could yall imagine Bolt and Gay on 3rd???
    :shock: :shock: :shock:
    Splits would be SICK!
    Sick, I say!!!!

Leave a comment:

• LopenUupunut

• LopenUupunut
    replied
    Sounds like orienteering without the maps and on a very easy course. No thanks.

The four team events already existing mainly serve to give US extra medals. And it's not as if they're not getting plenty anyway.

But if I just wanted Finland to get more medals, I'd propose some more Finnish event, like the sauna boot triathlon. The competitors first have to survive an hour in a sauna at 90°C (194°F), then cross a mosquito-filled swamp a mile wide wearing nothing but underpants and a pair of rubber boots in the time specified, and then throw one of the boots, freestyle, as far as possible. (They aren't allowed to clean off any of the mud they picked up in the swamp first. Anyone who loses one or both boots in the swamp is automatically disqualified.) Only the result of the boot throw actually counts (which is why it's T&F!), but you need loads of endurance to make it that far (and still have energy left to throw).

OK, so I made that one up, but it might be fun.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X