Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Event add/omit at the WC's/Olympics and why?

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rasb
    replied
    Originally posted by cacique
    Originally posted by rasb
    Hey, sex sells, let's do it....
    you want to do it??? well, it depends on... send me a pic first, ok? and does it include drinks and dinner first????

ops:
    Trust me, I 'm not worth it.....but if you want to spend some money on airfare, drinks, dinner....that's cool

Leave a comment:

• cacique
    replied
    Hey, sex sells, let's do it....
    you want to do it??? well, it depends on... send me a pic first, ok? and does it include drinks and dinner first????

ops:

Leave a comment:

• Powell
    replied
    In the world Ekiden championships (which were discontinued after 1998), there were 6 runners on each team running 5-10-5-10-5-7.195k. This is still the official standard nowadays (the IAAF still recognizes world recordsin the Ekiden). But some races use a different non-standard formula.

Leave a comment:

• rasb
    replied
    The mixed relay could be very interesting --- depending on what was allowed, encouraged, or even mandated within the "passing" zones....
    oh, rasb, why would you have to wait until it was a MIXED relay to come up with such a racy joke???? you know, the boys (and the girls) can do it by themselves...
    Hey, who said anything about "racy", other than relay racy, not to be confused with really racy.... :wink: It could be something as innocent as having to exchange singlets or shorts, or both, for instance... Spectators would have a special interest in where their seats were located...Hey, sex sells, let's do it....

Leave a comment:

• rasb
    replied
    so in ekiden there are no specific, marked handover spots? in other words, they can be determined by the local organizers, and vary from place to place?
    There is no one formula that dictates the distances run in an Ekiden relay. The local organizers determine that, and publish well in advance, and teams prepare accordingly. For instance, you might have, in no particular order, 3 x 5 K., 2 x 10 K., 1 x 7.2 to make up the Marathon distance...

Leave a comment:

• cacique
    replied
    so in ekiden there are no specific, marked handover spots? in other words, they can be determined by the local organizers, and vary from place to place?

Leave a comment:

• cacique
    replied
    The mixed relay could be very interesting --- depending on what was allowed, encouraged, or even mandated within the "passing" zones....
    oh, rasb, why would you have to wait until it was a MIXED relay to come up with such a racy joke???? you know, the boys (and the girls) can do it by themselves...

Leave a comment:

• bad hammy
    replied
    I do like the idea of adding mixed 4x1s and 4x4s (two men, two women each).

Leave a comment:

• Seeksreal
    replied
    what is ekiden?
    Without referencing the exact verbiage, the Ekiden relays in Japan are wonderful. A certain number of athletes, usually 6 or 7, run a road relay to the distance of the Marathon - 42.2 K. in total.... The stages ranged from about 5K. to about 12 K., as I recall.... And the citizens in Japan loved it....
    I have been to a few, and I remember in Chiba, the crowds were lined up 5 to 6 deep, almost the whole way, just as with the exciting stages of the Tour...
    I was also told at that time (late 80's/early 90's), but I cannot verify, that the Ekiden Relays were covered live on Japanese National Television, and attracted huge numbers of viewers....That would be a great Olympic event...
    I could see a variation on that with 4-6 runners doing 42.2K and letting the teams decide handover points individually.... could be very interesting!! Even more so if they have to be mixed 3 males, 3 females for example.

Leave a comment:

• rasb
    replied
    Sorry.....I meant to add that with due respect to the Japanese traditions, the "handover" was made by taking the sash off your neck, and passing on to the next runner... A remnant from the days when that is how the "Postal Service" worked....Someone will google or wiki., and correct me, I hope...

Leave a comment:

• rasb
    replied
    what is ekiden?
    Without referencing the exact verbiage, the Ekiden relays in Japan are wonderful. A certain number of athletes, usually 6 or 7, run a road relay to the distance of the Marathon - 42.2 K. in total.... The stages ranged from about 5K. to about 12 K., as I recall.... And the citizens in Japan loved it....
    I have been to a few, and I remember in Chiba, the crowds were lined up 5 to 6 deep, almost the whole way, just as with the exciting stages of the Tour...
    I was also told at that time (late 80's/early 90's), but I cannot verify, that the Ekiden Relays were covered live on Japanese National Television, and attracted huge numbers of viewers....That would be a great Olympic event...

Leave a comment:

• cacique
    replied
    what is ekiden?

Leave a comment:

• Terry Gibbs
    replied
    Originally posted by Pentathlete 2
    I'd like to add some of the discontinued events back in.

56 pound weight throw
    Oh yeah, and it does at least have history behind it..

Leave a comment:

• Tammy_Baby
    replied
    Flump - have you ever seen a 4 x 110H relay?
    I have, we call it the shuttle hurdles race in Jamaica...They used to have it yearly at our annual Hurdles and Field Events Championships in High School, it was fun to watch and really hazardous to some health :lol: :lol:

Leave a comment:

• marknhj
    replied
    Originally posted by bman
    Originally posted by pherekydes
    Originally posted by Flumpy
    What is a DMR???
    Distance medley relay.

Having seen Stefan Holm hopping languidly over 6 foot hurdles on youtube I'd like to see the 110m Hurdles with 6 foot barriers.

What do you think, Mark?
    I think that's a great idea! I'd give it the nod over the other event which could be considered, the three-legged race. Shit, I've just realised, you could also have relays for the three-legged, sack and egg and spoon races

Flump - have you ever seen a 4 x 110H relay? :shock:

Leave a comment:

Working...
X