Funmi Jimoh...coached by Drechsler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Funmi Jimoh...coached by Drechsler

According to the DLV Erich Drechsler, ex father-in-law and ex coach of Heike Drechsler, is 'caring for the US long jumper in the course of her World Champs preparation' in Erfurt. Herr Drechsler described the 25 yr old as "an absolute talent" and says she is more than capable of jumping over 7m. At the moment her PB is 6.96.

Time will tell whether Eric's style works for Funmi. Ajunwa was invited to train with Drechsler during the 97 season, and while she jumped over 7m that year she got injured and went backwards. Similarly after their 93 medals, Larissa Behreznaya and Renate Nielsen were invited to train with Drechsler during the 95 season. Again, both got injured and didn't do anything of note again. Either this was a ploy by Drechsler to get rid of her opposition :P or they couldn't quite cope with the strenuous tarining methods. Hopefully Eric will bring the best out of Jimoh though, however short the time he is with her.

She needs help, that's for sure. If only to ensure that she keeps all the teeth in her head.

Comment

Re: Funmi Jimoh...coached by Drechsler

Originally posted by Stephen
      Time will tell whether Eric's style works for Funmi. Ajunwa was invited to train with Drechsler during the 97 season, and while she jumped over 7m that year she got injured and went backwards.
      and when was she caught doping? was that before or after that?

Comment

Originally posted by cacique
        Originally posted by Stephen
        Time will tell whether Eric's style works for Funmi. Ajunwa was invited to train with Drechsler during the 97 season, and while she jumped over 7m that year she got injured and went backwards.
        Ajunwa had completed a 4 year ban less than a month prior to winning the 1996 Olympic Gold medal which didn't sit right with a lot of people, including the other medalists. She failed a second drugs test in the run up to Edmonton IIRC and was banned for life. Disgraced athlete, disgrace to the sport - she was naturally talented however, and one has to wonder what could have been if she was encouraged and confident and didn't head the way of the fraudulent.

She did it "all for my country" , however.
        http://www.accessmylibrary.com/coms2/su ... 336214_ITM

Comment

She also played for the Nigerian soccer team at the first women's World Cup in 1991.

Comment

Originally posted by dakota
            She also played for the Nigerian soccer team at the first women's World Cup in 1991.
            And remains the only athlete to have ever competed in a FIFA world cup and IAAF event, nevermind champs.

Comment

She sounds bat shit crazy. I like the way she calls a bunch of people evil then explains she doesn't hold any grudges. Always a sure sign of sanity that. Apparently "If I knowingly used banned substances to enhance performance, it is between me and my God." Bet Marion Jones wishes she'd thought of that one.

Comment

Originally posted by 3a
                She needs help, that's for sure. If only to ensure that she keeps all the teeth in her head.
                I don't get it.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                  Originally posted by 3a
                  I don't get it.
                  She always lands knees to mouth. There have been quite a few times where she has hurt her face on landing. Scares me to death, every time.

Knees to mouth at 23 seconds
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqLZaK-B9xg

She tried something different at US nationals, however. The dead man's flop.
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eq3mMPhr9YY

Call me ridiculous, but I genuinely believe Ms. Jimoh has a world record in her. She won't ever get it because it's too late in her career to actually learn how to finish. But, MAN, the height, the extension....she was just some solid coaching as a junior away from being the best ever in my humble opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by 3a
                    I literally laughed out loud! Never a truer word spoken :lol:

Comment

wow... that's a really scary landing. she's quite pretty though. pity if something would happen to her face! (hopefully nothing...)

Comment

Note the key word in the original post... "caring"

Jim Bevan at Rice is still Jimoh's coach.

And you are exaggerating her landing problems a tad, saying "always".
                        I am pretty sure I have seen her land about 1,000 times more than you have, and it is not "always".

Comment

Originally posted by gm
                          Note the key word in the original post... "caring"

Jim Bevan at Rice is still Jimoh's coach.

And you are exaggerating her landing problems a tad, saying "always".
                          I am pretty sure I have seen her land about 1,000 times more than you have, and it is not "always".
                          To be fair, I've only saw her jump in person twice. The rest has been on TV. But every time I have seen her jump a series. there has ALWAYS been a scary, "how the hell has she still got teeth", jump. It IS a dangerous technique and I think reckless of a coach not to have sorted it out by now. Amazing natural ability though.

Comment

Just to point out, on Jimoh's very own website she states that she spiked her hand in Luzerne. Then, lifting a weight she gashed her forhead and....lost some tooth. I honestly had not seen that entry before I posted my first comment.

http://www.funmijimoh.com/.a/6a00e551ae ... 220970b-pi

Comment

Originally posted by cacique
                              She only trained with Drechsler during the 97 season.

Comment

Working...
                              X