Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dwain Chambers: Fair or unfair treatment by UK/Europe?

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dwain Chambers: Fair or unfair treatment by UK/Europe?

Curious to know what people think about the treatment that Dwain Chambers is getting both within England and throughout Europe.

I am staunchly against PEDs, fully support aggressive and frequent testing, fully support the 2 year ban 1st offense and lifetime for 2nd.

I think Dwain Chambers hurt a lot of people and the sport by cheating. It's messed up; anyone who cheats is hurting others in the sport and the sport itself. Period.

Nonetheless, I think that British media, many of the athletes and most European meeting directors are extending the man's punishment beyond what is reasonable.

For crying outloud, the man has paid his dues. He done wrong, but by all accounts he has come back clean.

Let him be, let him run on the British 4x100, let him compete in the bigger European meets if he's good enough. He can leave a good legacy for himself and the sport by demonstrating success in redemption as a clean athlete - and speaking to youth, etc. about why it's important to compete clean, which I believe he has been doing.

So, current treatment: unfair or justified?

Am I wrong? Am I being too easy on the guy, or am I only one that thinks that Steve Cram needs to get over it?

Unfair. He's paid his dues, owned up to his mistake, come back clean.

Comment

Steve Cram and the other BBC pussy cats will no doubt be telling us about all ex cheats during the WC in Berlin, such as Damu Cherry; like heck they will . :lol: :lol:
      The campaign against DC is cynical, hypocritical and dishonest. None of us like cheats but the snide British athletics establishment have gone out of their way to behave disgracefully. Did not expect much different.

Comment

Originally posted by bman
        Unfair. He's paid his dues, owned up to his mistake, come back clean.
        I'm with you. Worse it means that no other athlete will admit to anything ever again due to the treatment his has received. From now on all will take the Roger Clemens route.

Comment

I think that he has been unfairly treated in that "they" have been far less forgiving of him than other known PED users. All cheats should be treated the same.
          However, I don't think that 2 years for a first offence is deterrent enough, and it should be 4 years. As long as 2 years is maintained and everything is made easy for an athlete to get back into a national squad, then people will take the risk and continue to cheat. I also think the UK is right to ban PED offenders from taking part in the Olympics.
          How many threads do we have on here casting doubt on performances by athletes, alluding to those "dirty Russians" or certain sprinters, etc, all taking the moral high ground? Perhaps people like all this rumour-mongering? Well it's going to continue until the IAAF get tough with cheats. The sport is in a terrible state at the moment, mainly due to the likes of Chambers and others. He knew what he was doing, took the risk and got caught. He's lucky to still be able to compete. Not to mention the large sums of money he has made through publishing a book criticising those in authority who are not cheats.

Having said all this, he has been treated unfairly in terms of what the rules are at present. Until such a time as the IAAF enforce such penalties across the board, Chambers should be allowed to compete on the European circuit.

Comment

Dwain Chambers showed little remorse for a long time, especially after his interview with Matt Pincent, he may have said he regrets the interview now, but surely he should have learnt after the PEDs to think through your actions first.....

I wish there was more consistency from the European meets to exclude all former drug cheats and not just Dwain.

I dont want to see him on the relay team, he denied too many people their medals

He has conducted himself alot better though this year since the European Indoors, where if he really wanted to show some decency should not have released his book then. How much he had his hands tied from his publishers i dont know but still.

Actually Scoe someone like Steve Cram will frequently mention who the former drug cheats are so dont really get your point there....

Comment

You guys seem to think most sprinters now are "clean." :roll:
              Chambers just got caught, big whoop.
              Though Chambers DID hurt the sport, and that was because he was caught, not because of the choice he made to do what he did. And reality remains...in his situation

1) Never run really fast and go clean
              2) Dirty it up and run fast and take the risk

While on this note, do you really think Maurice greene payed 40 grand for "his pals?" :lol: :twisted:

Comment

Originally posted by scoe
                Steve Cram and the other BBC pussy cats will no doubt be telling us about all ex cheats during the WC in Berlin, such as Damu Cherry; like heck they will . :lol: :lol:
                The campaign against DC is cynical, hypocritical and dishonest. None of us like cheats but the snide British athletics establishment have gone out of their way to behave disgracefully. Did not expect much different.
                Cram always mentions drug cheats. In fact I was watching some coverage recently and Crammy did it twice.

Brendan on the other hand :roll: Always full of praise for Julio Rey and Dieter Baumann even though they are cheats.
                http://twitter.com/Trackside2011

Comment

Originally posted by track_expert
                  Though Chambers DID hurt the sport, and that was because he was caught, not because of the choice he made to do what he did. And reality remains...in his situation

While on this note, do you really think Maurice greene payed 40 grand for "his pals?" :lol: :twisted:
                  I read an English fan on another message board, on Roger Clemens, remark that he was "worse than Dwain Chambers", which I thought was odd. For some reason Dwain has been put on the same level as all of the other cheats who have continued to cheat by maintaining obviously dishonest positions. Furthermore, track fans know full well that there are plenty of runners, possibly very successful ones, who got away with cheating, and yet we continue to demonize the few who got caught instead of accepting that the runners are just humans who made mistakes because they wanted to win. Of course it is regrettable, but why all of the lying. Lets admit what happened and get on with it without all the grudges. Dwain is one of the few who wants to do this.

Comment

Originally posted by track_expert

I read an English fan on another message board, on Roger Clemens, remark that he was "worse than Dwain Chambers", which I thought was odd. For some reason Dwain has been put on the same level as all of the other cheats who have continued to cheat by maintaining obviously dishonest positions. Furthermore, track fans know full well that there are plenty of runners, possibly very successful ones, who got away with cheating, and yet we continue to demonize the few who got caught instead of accepting that the runners are just humans who made mistakes because they wanted to win. Of course it is regrettable, but why all of the lying. Lets admit what happened and get on with it without all the grudges. Dwain is one of the few who wants to do this.
                    dwayne is a cynical, lying, thieving cheat ,has he been treated fairly ? probably not. do i care ? hell no, he deserves everything he gets.

if he hadn't been caught he' still be cheating now, he has no remorse for the people he cheated , the team mates he deceived or the sport that he has dragged throught the mud i wish he's just f**k off
                    i deserve extra credit

Comment

[quote=mump boy]
                      Originally posted by "track_expert":mgmdv8mw

dwayne is a cynical, lying, thieving cheat ,has he been
                      treated fairly ? probably not. do i care ? hell no, he deserves everything he gets.

if he hadn't been caught he' still be cheating now, he has no remorse for the people he cheated , the team mates he deceived or the sport that he has dragged throught the mud i wish he's just f**k off[/quote:mgmdv8mw]

Do you feel this way about all cheats from other countries aswell?

Comment

I can assure you he does.

Comment

yh i know you hate chambers aswell, you booo'd when he won britain a medal right

Comment

[quote=mump boy]
                            Originally posted by "track_expert":2e5f7akh

dwayne is a cynical, lying, thieving cheat ,has he been
                            treated fairly ? probably not. do i care ? hell no, he deserves everything he gets.

if he hadn't been caught he' still be cheating now, he has no remorse for the people he cheated , the team mates he deceived or the sport that he has dragged throught the mud i wish he's just f**k off[/quote:2e5f7akh]

You must feel the same way about many many manyyy others then as well, correct? Believe me majority of my suspicions have turned out correct, and i have a lot more as well. If you open your eyes and maybe look back you'll see.

Comment

I think that the Dubin Inquiry of 1989 did a good job of setting the precedent to strongly penalizing those who are honest.

Comment

Working...
                              X