Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Russian championships, Cheboksary, 23-26 July

The web site

I'm expecting a lot of top-class results. The nationals are later in the season than usual. Many of their top athletes haven't done much yet, but they must have been training to peak here to qualify for Berlin.

The only finals today are the steeple and 10000m, but there should be some interesting action in the heats as well. Women's 400 and 800 will probably be very competitive as usual and the heats/semis might produce fast times.
    Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Some fast times in the first round of women's sprint events. In the 400, Krivoshapka ran 50.33, Litvinova 50.88, Gushchina 51.50. The semis are tonight, and there will probably be more fast times there.
    In the heats of the 100, Yevgeniya Polyakova ran 11.16 (no wind speed given on the web site).

Comment

First roudn of teh women's 400m saw Krivoshapka run 50.33 :shock: Second fastest was Litvinova with 50.88 and third Guschina 51.50.

After the race Krivoshapka was apparently 'astonished' because she wasn't pushing hard and it felt very easy.

Polyakova ran 11.16 in the heats, much better than the form she has shown thus far on the circuit.

Comment

lol just beat me to it!

Comment

Some more info on the 400 results:

Ht1
          Kapachinskaya 51.58
          Migunova 52.40

Ht2
          Guschina 51.50
          Antyukh 51.60

Ht3
          Firova 51.75
          Voynova 52.87
          Zykina 53.46

Ht4
          Krivoshapka 50.33
          Veshkurova 51.99
          Levina 52.59

Ht5
          Litvinova 50.88
          Nazarova 51.40
          Safonova 52.17

SB's for Antyukh & Firova in the first round. This was also Veshkurova's first race of the season. Pospelova and Zaitseva DNS (not down on lists from the outset) Zaitseva may start the 200m though.

Comment

I was thinking the Russians had been very very quiet this season, however no doubt there will be some great times coming from their champs but each and every year a great number of their athletes fail to reproduce this sort of form when it matters at the major champs for whatever reasons.....

Comment

Originally posted by Kai88
              every year a great number of their athletes fail to reproduce this sort of form when it matters at the major champs for whatever reasons.....
              True, but IIRC in most years their nationals would take place in June. Now that they were moved so close to the WCh, I think there's a better chance they will maintain their peak better.

Comment

Ominously, Yuliya Pechonkina ran 54.93 in the 400H heats, winning her heat by over 3 seconds!

Comment

I have to say I can't recall Zaitseva doing an awful lot after her very good 2006. In fact all of the Russian 400m representatives in Gothenburg haven't done anything of huge note in the past 2-3y.
                  http://twitter.com/Trackside2011

Comment

Originally posted by nevetsllim
                    I have to say I can't recall Zaitseva doing an awful lot after her very good 2006. In fact all of the Russian 400m representatives in Gothenburg haven't done anything of huge note in the past 2-3y.
                    She also beat TBO at the Euro under 23's in 2005. Zaitseva's career is a odd. Didn't she train with Cherkasova for example?

Comment

Originally posted by Powell
                      Ominously, Yuliya Pechonkina ran 54.93 in the 400H heats, winning her heat by over 3 seconds!
                      After the race she said she was scared to run because it would be her first race since her op on her thigh. She said she still has technical issues and can't get her rhythm right. She was content with the run and wants to improve with every run.

Comment

Powell

We will have to wait and see on that one i guess, still can't say im that comfortable with the Russians new tactics of keeping quiet at home and then great times and distances at their trials....
                        The way the Russian federation came across to me in the dealings with Soboleva and Co didnt strike me as that of a body whose commited to fighting cheating in sport...

Comment

Originally posted by 3a
                          Originally posted by nevetsllim
                          She also beat TBO at the Euro under 23's in 2005. Zaitseva's career is a odd. Didn't she train with Cherkasova for example?
                          Ms. Veshkurova, 2nd behind Ms. Zaitseva during that magnificent 49s run at Arsenal Stadium, ran a lifetime 300m best indoors in January. She may be a dark horse though nearly 52s in her heat may not bode well for her.
                          Fire Impossible.

Comment

Originally posted by 3a
                            No, didnt train with her. I think Zaitseva's problem may be over training at such a young age.

After her great 49.4 in 2006, and her equally spectacular 'blow up' in the euro final, she missed the 07 season through injury. She did a couple of 100/200's in 08 but failed the make the Russian team for Beijing in the 400. She still ran a mid 51 at those Olympic trials, enough to get her into any other national team (save the US) but alas in Russia the standard is too high. A Russian 400m runner with a niggle doesn't have a hope of making the team!

This year she was fourth at the national indoors over 200m, missing bronze by 2/100ths, and again outdoors she's just done a 100/200, in 11.67/23.64, which suggests mid 51 form again at best. I hope she does go for the 200m, it's a shame to see a talent go to waist.

On the subject of Russian depth, it's back to the argument that countries should be allowed to send more than 3 if they have x number over a certain standard. To think that there are women running 51's in round 1 of their nationals yet wont make the team is sad. Same for many events in the US, Kenya & Ethiopia.

Comment

where can we find the results???

Comment

Working...
                              X