Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asafa Powell: "My ankle is ready for sub 9.80"

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/athletics/8166011.stm

The headline reads "British Sprinters Lazy - Powell," however he does say in the interview twice that his ankle is ready for something under 9.80 on Friday night in London. He also said that there is no superman running sprints and that Bolt is not unbeatable. Good confidence coming from him.

I like the attitude Asafa. I hope you back up your talk and run 9.7X.

If he goes 9.79 or a little faster he's definitely going to be in a excellent position at berlin, considering he'll add on another race in stockholm next week.

Comment

Re: Asafa Powell: "My ankle is ready for sub 9.80"

Originally posted by Asafa Powell
      My ankle is ready for sub 9.80.

Bolt is not unbeatable
      Unfortunately his latter statement calls his former statement into question.

Comment

Originally posted by TrainerPhil

The headline reads "British Sprinters Lazy - Powell," however he does say in the interview twice that his ankle is ready for something under 9.80 on Friday night in London. He also said that there is no superman running sprints and that Bolt is not unbeatable. Good confidence coming from him.

Yea, what is his head ready for?? It's never been a question of his talent. Just his ability to put it all together at the biggest meets. My prediction - No medal at 100 for him in Berlin assuming no big names get injured.

Comment

Originally posted by Tvarish
          Originally posted by TrainerPhil

Yea, what is his head ready for?? It's never been a question of his talent. Just his ability to put it all together at the biggest meets. My prediction - No medal at 100 for him in Berlin assuming no big names get injured.
          If he runs two 9.7s and goes into worlds and goes through the rounds easily, you dont think he'll be MORE confident than before? Ever run a 9.7 before a championship? Ever been 100% physical prepared? Dont think so.

Comment

I hope this includes finishing races as well. Call it a terminal gather, jogging whatever. Only on a few occasions has Powell executed a complete race of his potential longing, IMHO.

Comment

The sad thing is that he may actually believe that statement. Those around him may have actually convinced him that it is true. His form in the races tomorrow will tell the true tale, just as it did in Rome.
              Regards,
              toyracer

Comment

Originally posted by toyracer
                The sad thing is that he may actually believe that statement. Those around him may have actually convinced him that it is true. His form in the races tomorrow will tell the true tale, just as it did in Rome.
                The results of his races show a clear pattern: he is steadily improving as the ankle improves. He is running a harder race every time out. If all of the sudden he didn't look good in London, the conclusion would be that something has gone wrong. If the pattern continues as I think it will, he will definitely go sub 9.8.

Comment

Originally posted by bman
                  If the pattern continues as I think it will, he will definitely go sub 9.8.
                  In one-offs. The likelihood that will happen in the Berlin final is still negligible.

Comment

Originally posted by Marlow
                    Originally posted by bman
                    If the pattern continues as I think it will, he will definitely go sub 9.8.
                    In one-offs. The likelihood that will happen in the Berlin final is still negligible.
                    Well yea that is true. I was referring to London specifically. I suspect he will be challenging Bolt in Berlin but that is not based on factual evidence, just on the fact that I am a hopelessly biased Asafa fan...

Comment

Walk the walk.
                      on the road

Comment

Powell lets just wait for London then we can judge I will be there in the crystal palace stadium watching you :lol:. But its good that you are confident lets hop you nail it this time in berlin.

Comment

The key is, he didn't say how far he would have run at 9.80 seconds, which point his ankle gives out :-)

Comment

I can't agree more. After reading his latest interview, I'm convinced that the people around Asafa is not doing the best they can to help him. Anything less than a SILVER medal in BERLIN, will cement his place on the List as one of the biggest choked in Track and Field history. Like it or not it's going to be with him even beyond his days of running is over.

He will be 27 going on 28 in 2011 and 28 going on 29 in 2012, and a poor finish in Berlin will just do more damage to his Psyche.

PS He was the last guy to beat BOLT before Olympics, and he didn't even showed up when it counts to atleast give BOLT a decent race. Asafa need to shut up and focus on putting together his race in Berlin, because everyone know he can run fast. People is waiting for him to put together a decent race in Major Championships.

Comment

Originally posted by Sportsfanx1
                              I can't agree more. After reading his latest interview, I'm convinced that the people around Asafa is not doing the best they can to help him. Anything less than a SILVER medal in BERLIN, will cement his place on the List as one of the biggest choked in Track and Field history. Like it or not it's going to be with him even beyond his days of running is over.

He will be 27 going on 28 in 2011 and 28 going on 29 in 2012, and a poor finish in Berlin will just do more damage to his Psyche.

PS He was the last guy to beat BOLT before Olympics, and he didn't even showed up when it counts to atleast give BOLT a decent race. Asafa need to shut up and focus on putting together his race in Berlin, because everyone know he can run fast. People is waiting for him to put together a decent race in Major Championships.
                              Putting together a good race isnt as easy as saying you're going to do it or "trying really hard."

If he's SUPER sharp like when you ease up and run a 9.8 (ex. Bolt) and show clearly you're ready to run a PB, has the training to run 4 rounds (very critical), then the confident will simply come together.

Watching replays of him, he doesnt look super tight/tense during the initial parts of the race and his legs dont simply deliver and he can quickly feel it too thus simply making it worse. Sure his confidence isnt good before the race which doesnt allow proper race exeuction, but if he magically had the confidence needed, he simply WOULDNT be able to run that 4th run in low 9.7 speed.

Comment

Working...
                              X