for "minor" substance

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20090724/sp_ ... _jamaica_1

Re: Jamaican Official/IAAF Confirm 5 Positives

Originally posted by gh
    IAAF confirms it

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/athletics/8167898.stm

Comment

Re: Jamaican Official/IAAF Confirm 5 Positives

The previous thread got too incendiary and speculative. If you have something of value to say on the subject, please feel free to react to the official announcements.

But please do not get back into idle speculation.

Or drag in other cases.

The vacation list has been swelling of late: pelase don't join it.

Comment

Here's an interesting wrinkle. Perhaps the suspensions (if any) might be of the 1-day variety.

But since that one day is the Trials, if that meet is nullified, will the Federation treat it as if you weren't there, so you have no place in Berlin?

I'm guessing that's what USATF would find itself forced to do with its strict interpretation of the qualifying r ules.

Comment

All Five should not be able to board that plane with the rest of Jamaican athletes to BERLIN.

I hope the JAAA and Government see that it in the best interest of the entire team and nation if this is done.

Comment

gh, is it okay for me to post the list of athletes/races named in the Observer article?
            Regards,
            toyracer

Comment

In the new article that is linked on the T&FN homepage the JADCO talks about it. here is a quote from the article that might upset some..

However, TrackAlerts.com also understands that most of the findings are not serious and will only warrant a public warning.
              If they are BANNED substances (stated in the article) then why would they only get a public warning and not some type of suspension?
              http://i42.tinypic.com/wlqckx.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Sportsfanx1
                All Five should not be able to board that plane with the rest of Jamaican athletes to BERLIN.
                Without knowing the substance, isn't that jumping the gun a bit?

After all, reports so far seem to indicate that the penalty for the substance is a verbal warning. If that is indeed the case, wouldn't it be a bit much to prevent them all from going to Berlin?

Personally, I am going to reserve judgment until we know of the substance. The names of the athletes don't matter to me in that regard, it's the substance and how it got into their systems that I'm interested in.

For sure Jamaica didn't need this.
                Regards,
                toyracer

Comment

Originally posted by toyracer
                  gh, is it okay for me to post the list of athletes/races named in the Observer article?
                  Observer article is pure speculation since no specific athlete has been named. I think it is unfair to "suggest" names from an article until we get the official list
                  Cows need love too

Comment

Originally posted by OBUTRACKSTER
                    I...
                    If they are BANNED substances (stated in the article) then why would they only get a public warning and not some type of suspension?
                    Because the rules provide for things such as a one-day penalty for inadvertent use of a minor stimulant (like a cold medication)... or a couple of months for weed.

Comment

I hope the JAAA and Government see that it in the best interest of the entire team and nation if this is done.

Do not rush to judgement until the information is officially released. Based on the news articles so far, the "stimulants" could be considered minor as per the WADA/IAAF list of banned substances. Such minor stiumulants usually only come with a verbal warning or ban for a few months..

It serves no purpose for you being the judge, jury and executionor until we here all the facts.
                      Cows need love too

Comment

Originally posted by toyracer
                        I see no such list when I go to the Gleaner. Post the URL and then it's fair game.

Comment

You can't go that far! The B samples have not been tested, the substance has not been publicly identified, and the athletes have not had their say.

The names of the 5 athletes were known to me and others from at least six hours ago. I don't know if they were identified on the thread before it was locked down. But if the substance was contained in an over-the-counter decongestant, as has been reported, we may be making way too much out of this. Indeed BBC news was sufficiently clear on the facts to state 4 -5 hours ago that the athletes would get off with a warning, given the circumstances.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                            I see no such list when I go to the Gleaner. Post the URL and then it's fair game.
                            http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/news/htm ... CHEATS.asp

Originally posted by Jamaica Observer
                            According to our sources, none of the country's premier sprinters are among the five. However, three of the athletes - two male and the female - are members of Jamaica's sprint (4x100m) relay pools, having finished in the top six of the 100 metres.

The other two male athletes were selected to Jamaica's team, having finished in the top six of the 400m metres and are members of the 4x400m relay pool.
                            Regards,
                            toyracer

Comment

Originally posted by rudawal

You can't go that far! The B samples have not been tested, the substance has not been publicly identified, and the athletes have not had their say.

The names of the 5 athletes were known to me and others from at least six hours ago. I don't know if they were identified on the thread before it was locked down. But if the substance was contained in an over-the-counter decongestant, as has been reported, we may be making way too much out of this. Indeed BBC news was sufficiently clear on the facts to state 4 -5 hours ago that the athletes would get off with a warning, given the circumstances.
                              names?

Comment

Working...
                              X