Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tm71
    yeah the russians seem to run 49 400s, 156 800s, 357 1500s then most of them dont even make the finals in the worlds or olympics. i have noticed that too over the years. they seem to be more consistent in the field events though.
    One important distinction to be made with respect to this season is that the Russians have concluded their national championships two weeks before the world championships, which should allow for a greater probability of holding form than the alternative of peaking four weeks earlier on their previous schedule.
    Fire Impossible.

Comment

Yes, this 4-week edge the Russians gain over the American team, IMHO, is a crucial part of their be-ready-when-it-counts performances. For those Americans competing at the end of the WC, it will have been 8 weeks since Eugene. That's just way too long.

Comment

4th, 5th and 6th with every athlete with a PB or SB in the last Olympics is not bombing in my opinion. The thought that people are attempting to disregard a 49.2x followed up by a 49.7 the very next day is ludacris in my mind. Especially 2 weeks from the World Championships. And again... especially when it comes from an athlete that was DOMINATING the indoors earlier this year.

She literally has the top 4 fastest indoor times this seasons:
        50.55 Antonina Krivoshapka RUS 21/07/1987 1 Moskva 15/02/2009
        50.56 Antonina Krivoshapka 1h5 Moskva 13/02/2009
        51.15 Antonina Krivoshapka 1 Stockholm 18/02/2009
        51.18 Antonina Krivoshapka 1 Torino 07/03/2009

You not seeing or hearing much from her since indoor could simply be as a result of the fact that she was simply resting and training for the majors. And with her trials pushed back so closely to the majors she could train specifically for this period.

No need for me to even mention the other Russian athletes because they have been tried and tested. I mean having a PB or a SB in an Olympic final is perfect timing in my opinion. If you lose like that then it simply means that everyone else ran a superior race, no shame in that at all!

Comment

Sanya is the best 400m runner in the world...bar none.

It is my belief that she will win in Berlin and do it comfortably.
          The fool has said...there is no God. Psa 14

Comment

It has now so been stated and duly noted. Now let's move on and give her two weeks to prove it.
            Fire Impossible.

Comment

Originally posted by Speedfirst
              Originally posted by 3a
              Originally posted by Powell
              Originally posted by guruof track
              The Russian women ALWAYS run fast at their Championship, when they run fast elsewhere I'll take notice.
              Which Russian 400 meter runners failed to produce internationally in recent years?
              Well in Osaka and Beijing, they didn't medal.
              They all had PRs in the Beijing final. Can't produce much more than that. :wink:
              Sure you can, get on the podium :wink:
              So which Russian was expected to get on the podium in Osaka or Beijing? None of them went into those meets with a sub-50 SB. They did as much as could have been expected.
              Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

Don't they always run fast at their national champs?

IMO, The results from the 400m's on up is always a bit suspect.

Comment

This was the top 400 times in the world, I took out all the times post and during the Olympics.

Anastasiya Kapachinskaya ran 50.03 at the actual Olympics, only 0.01 slower than her actual PB. I bolded all the Russian runner's fastest times.

49.83 A Amantle Montsho BOT 04/07/1983 1 Addis Ababa 02/05/2008
                  49.83 Allyson Felix USA 18/11/1985 1 Doha 09/05/2008
                  49.86 Sanya Richards 1 Athína (Olympic Stadium) 13/07/2008
                  49.89 Sanya Richards 1 Eugene, OR 03/07/2008
                  50.02 Anastasiya Kapachinskaya RUS 21/11/1979 1r3 Moskva 10/07/2008
                  50.04 Sanya Richards 1 New York City, NY 31/05/2008
                  50.05 Rosemarie Whyte JAM 08/09/1986 1 Kingston (NS), JAM 29/06/2008
                  50.10 Sanya Richards 1 Eugene, OR 08/06/2008
                  50.11 Novlene Williams JAM 26/04/1982 2 Kingston (NS), JAM 29/06/2008
                  50.12 Yulia Gushchina 1 Kazan 18/07/2008
                  50.20 Anastasiya Kapachinskaya 2 Kazan 18/07/2008
                  50.25 Allyson Felix 1 Roma 11/07/2008
                  50.25 Tatyana Firova 3 Kazan 18/07/2008
                  50.30 Anastasiya Kapachinskaya 2sf2 Beijing (National Stadium) 17/08/2008
                  50.32 Mary Wineberg USA 03/01/1980 2 Eugene, OR 08/06/2008
                  50.33 Shericka Williams 3 Kingston (NS), JAM 29/06/2008
                  50.33 Novlene Williams 1r2 Lausanne 02/09/2008
                  50.34 Shericka Williams 3 Eugene, OR 08/06/2008

Comment

Originally posted by knite
                    Don't they always run fast at their national champs?

IMO, The results from the 400m's on up is always a bit suspect.
                    Their trials was never 2 weeks before the Championships.

Comment

Originally posted by TrackDaddy
                      Sanya is the best 400m runner in the world...bar none.

It is my belief that she will win in Berlin and do it comfortably.
                      Yeah, she is ONE of the best in the world, as for her being the absolute best......thats still up in air until she wins some gold world and olympic medals.

She should break that this year tho....hopefully!!!

Oh as for the bar none comment.....I think Big O is the best in the world..she got the world and olympic golds to prove it.

Comment

Just like the Russians 'always' (not true, but hey ho) run slower outside their champs, one could also argue that Sanya 'always' runs fast in GP's but slower in major finals. Just like last year, when the Russian girls BETTERED their times in a major final, this might be the year where Sanya does too - certainly, it would seem her best shout to win Gold, what with being so dominant on the circuit and with TBO (best champs performer, currently) not being in her best shape. Think it should be a great event at the WCs - so many possibilities to consider! (I'll go with one USA, 2 Jams, 2 Brits, 2 Russians and one other for the final....)

Does seem to be a little 'over-zealousness' amongst some fans of late - me personally, I like lots of debate, without the personal comments, as I think they actually turn those of us on the fence off certain athletes.

Comment

I predict;

One American
                          Williamses
                          Two Russians
                          TBO
                          Grenot
                          Montsho or Thiam
                          http://twitter.com/Trackside2011

Comment

[quote=Powell]
                            Originally posted by 3a
                            Originally posted by Powell
                            Originally posted by "guruof track":3v96nx8g
                            The Russian women ALWAYS run fast at their Championship, when they run fast elsewhere I'll take notice.
                            Which Russian 400 meter runners failed to produce internationally in recent years?
                            Well in Osaka and Beijing, they didn't medal.
                            They all had PRs in the Beijing final. Can't produce much more than that. :wink:
                            Sure you can, get on the podium :wink:
                            So which Russian was expected to get on the podium in Osaka or Beijing? None of them went into those meets with a sub-50 SB. They did as much as could have been expected.[/quote:3v96nx8g]

I never implied or said any of em were :roll: ....it was stated can't produce much more than that...again, sure you can, get on the podium.

Also the conversation with respect to this thread, is about getting on the podium and preferrably, top of the podium.
                            on the road

Comment

If TBO is fit, I say....

three Russians
                              two British
                              two Jamaicans
                              one American

If TBO is not fit....

I seriously don't know who else will factor in.

Comment

At least 1 of Montsho, Grenot or Thiam will be there I'm sure.

I wouldn't count out Hargrove either.

At the moment I have more confidence in Nicola than TBO (Although I should no by now NEVER to discount her).

I don't see 3 Russians making it.

Comment

Working...
                                X