• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• t_monk
    replied
    Originally posted by Speedfirst
    Originally posted by t_monk
    Russians should be considered as clear favorites in the 4x400 IMHO. They have 2 sub-50's and 2 low-50 runner this season. The US team has Sanya who looks excellent of course, Allyson (who doesn't look as good as seasons prior) and as for the other runners, they are clearly not as good as the other Russians. All the theorizing takes into consideration that Allyson will run a blistering leg a 48.x leg at that which I wouldn't really hold my breath for seeing that for the first season in two years she hasn't touched the sub-50 or even the low side of 50 in the open 400.
    Clear favorite you advocate do you. You do know your split time is typically faster than your open time. You do know also that Allyson is working toward worlds, not to peak before then. I'll put Allyson up against ANY 2nd leg in the world....ANY.

Hastings, Hargrove, Beard, Dunn, Demus, Cox, Woods, they'll be fine, USA is still the favorite.
    Lets post some facts now shall we

Mark Athlete Nation DOB Pos Venue Date
    49.23 Sanya Richards USA 26/02/1985 1r1 Oslo (Bislett) 03/07/2009
    49.29 Antonina Krivoshapka RUS 21/07/1987 1sf1 Cheboksary 23/07/2009

49.34 Sanya Richards 1 Paris Saint-Denis 17/07/2009
    49.46 Sanya Richards 1 Roma 10/07/2009
    49.57 Sanya Richards 1 Berlin 14/06/2009
    49.71 Antonina Krivoshapka 1 Cheboksary 24/07/2009
    49.86 Sanya Richards 1 Eugene, OR 07/06/2009
    49.97 Anastasiya Kapachinskaya RUS 21/11/1979 2 Cheboksary 24/07/2009
    49.98 Shericka Williams JAM 17/09/1985 2r1 Oslo (Bislett) 03/07/2009
    50.05 Sanya Richards 1 Eugene, OR 27/06/2009
    50.05 Novlene Williams-Mills JAM 26/04/1982 1 Athína (Olympic Stadium) 13/07/2009
    50.21 Novlene Williams-Mills 1 Kingston (NS), JAM 28/06/2009
    50.24 Antonina Krivoshapka 1 Moskva 01/07/2009
    50.27 Lyudmila Litvinova RUS 08/06/1985 3 Cheboksary 24/07/2009
    50.30 Libania Grenot ITA 12/07/1983 1 Pescara 02/07/2009
    50.31 Shericka Williams 2 Roma 10/07/2009
    50.33 Tatyana Veshkurova RUS 23/09/1981 1h4 Cheboksary 23/07/2009
    50.39 Joanna Atkins USA 31/01/1989 1 Fayetteville, AR 13/06/2009
    50.39 Shericka Williams 2 Kingston (NS), JAM 28/06/2009
    50.39 Monica Hargrove USA 30/12/1982 2 Athína (Olympic Stadium) 13/07/2009
    50.39 Novlene Williams-Mills 2 Paris Saint-Denis 17/07/2009
    50.49 Anastasiya Kapachinskaya 1sf3 Cheboksary 23/07/2009
    50.50 Allyson Felix USA 18/11/1985 1 New York City, NY 30/05/2009
    50.51 Antonina Krivoshapka 1r1 Zhukovskiy 05/07/2009
    50.56 Jessica Beard USA 08/01/1989 2 Fayetteville, AR 13/06/2009
    50.56 Lyudmila Litvinova 1sf2 Cheboksary 23/07/2009
    50.56 Natalya Nazarova RUS 26/05/1979 4 Cheboksary 24/07/2009

Those are the top times run so far this year.
    Note where all four Russians are ranked in the world NOW compared to the next four US athletes. Note where Allyson Felix is on the list and as much as a fan of Allyson as I am, I am not going to delude myself into thinking that she will be making that much of a dent.

Ohh yeah and I mean sub 50 of course... lol

Leave a comment:

• Speedfirst
    replied
    Originally posted by jjimbojames
    Clear favorite you advocate do you. You do know your split time is typically faster than your open time. You do know also that Allyson is working toward worlds, not to peak before then. I'll put Allyson up against ANY 2nd leg in the world....ANY.

Hastings, Hargrove, Beard, Dunn, Demus, Cox, Woods, they'll be fine, USA is still the favorite.
    Which is the same for everyone - American or Russian!!

Speedfirst - I'm as excitable as anyone about T&F, but you do seem to come across as rather ahem aggressive in your relay posts, if you don't mind me saying :wink:
    I'm an aggressive person, passionate, especially about the 400 and 4x400, so I wear that as a badge of honor, thank you.

You, yourself even commented on the USA runners with sticks in their hands, so you even realize the difference, but then you state it's the same for everyone. Can you explain that or how you reconcile this? :wink:

By the way, I"l still take Allyson against ANY 2nd leg in the world, Russian included.

Leave a comment:

• jjimbojames
    replied

Which is the same for everyone - American or Russian!!

Speedfirst - I'm as excitable as anyone about T&F, but you do seem to come across as rather ahem aggressive in your relay posts, if you don't mind me saying :wink:

Leave a comment:

• jjimbojames
    replied
    Russians should be considered as clear favorites in the 4x400 IMHO. They have 2 sub-49's and 2 low-50 runner this season. The US team has Sanya who looks excellent of course, Allyson (who doesn't look as good as seasons prior) and as for the other runners, they are clearly not as good as the other Russians. All the theorizing takes into consideration that Allyson will run a blistering leg a 48.x leg at that which I wouldn't really hold my breath for seeing that for the first season in two years she hasn't touched the sub-50 or even the low side of 50 in the open 400.
    Sub-49s!?!?!?! :wink:

Allyson ran 50.5 in May, and although not looking sparkling since, I'd still think she'll be at least close to a 48.x come August. And whilst your post does make sense, I'm always amazed at the difference having a baton in their hand makes to American quartermilers I would never count them out - they just become animals with a stick - and moreso when chasing. Think it will be close, which is good for the sport

Leave a comment:

• Speedfirst
    replied
    Russians should be considered as clear favorites in the 4x400 IMHO. They have 2 sub-49's and 2 low-50 runner this season. The US team has Sanya who looks excellent of course, Allyson (who doesn't look as good as seasons prior) and as for the other runners, they are clearly not as good as the other Russians. All the theorizing takes into consideration that Allyson will run a blistering leg a 48.x leg at that which I wouldn't really hold my breath for seeing that for the first season in two years she hasn't touched the sub-50 or even the low side of 50 in the open 400.

Leave a comment:

• t_monk
    replied
    Russians should be considered as clear favorites in the 4x400 IMHO. They have 2 sub-50's and 2 low-50 runner this season. The US team has Sanya who looks excellent of course, Allyson (who doesn't look as good as seasons prior) and as for the other runners, they are clearly not as good as the other Russians. All the theorizing takes into consideration that Allyson will run a blistering leg a 48.x leg at that which I wouldn't really hold my breath for seeing that for the first season in two years she hasn't touched the sub-50 or even the low side of 50 in the open 400.

yeah... sub 50... edited

Leave a comment:

• jjimbojames
    replied
    Originally posted by Alexm
    Guschina has not been selected for the 4x4 this season
    Doesn't mean she can't run it, though! Anyone named on the team can be used in a relay. If she does well at Tula, or even in the 200m at Berlin, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see her involved

Leave a comment:

• jjimbojames
    replied
    Originally posted by TrainerPhil
    I know I've spent a lot of time talking about the women 4x100m. But the 4x400m is shaping up to be a very exciting race. The Russian women appear to be in great form and they could give the US team fits. I even think the Russians will pull off the upset.

I assume Sanya and Felix would be in the 4x400 relay. Who else would run? Do the Russians have enough to beat the US?
    There was a thread about this a while back - you must have been too busy with the 4x100m :wink:

I think, yes is the answer. There was only a third of a second in it in Beijing, and that was WITH Sanya running her (I think I'm right in saying) best ever relay leg. Allyson ran faster in Osaka, but still ran a 48.5ish leg - which I'm not too sure she'll better in Berlin.

The Russians had no women under 50.x last year, and now have two, with one running an unpushed 49.2. On the whole, they are quicker than last year's open times. Despite the 'Russians never produce outside of Russia' argument, all 3 open runners ran SB's in Beijing, and the new girl won the Euro Indoors, so I think that is a myth that can be pushed to one side on this one, IMO

So the big question is who runs with Sanya and Allyson. They, too, have plenty of back up - Hargrove, Beard, Dunn off the top of my head, and I fancy Demus' chances of being in that squad, too - especially is she goes sub-53 in the 400mH. It certainly doesn't look like TeamUSA will have it all their own way

Despite the Williamses, Jamaica is lacking the depth of last year and Walker doesn't look to be in shape to help out a huge amount. GBR will need a fit, healthy and focused TBO to stand a chance of medalling - along with another 48.x from Sanders :shock:

Leave a comment:

• Speedfirst
    replied
    I know I've spent a lot of time talking about the women 4x100m. But the 4x400m is shaping up to be a very exciting race. The Russian women appear to be in great form and they could give the US team fits. I even think the Russians will pull off the upset.

I assume Sanya and Felix would be in the 4x400 relay. Who else would run? Do the Russians have enough to beat the US?
    The USA will be fine, we'll have 2 slouches running the other 2 legs. :shock: :roll:

Leave a comment:

• Alexm
    replied
    I think considering Russia nearly took the USA in Beijing, and this season they have a woman who's run 49.29, whereas none of them broke 50secs individually last year, then of course they have to be considered a threat.

My concern this season would be the same as other seasons: running order. All four women were very evenly matched on SBs in 08, but even so they chose to put their fastest runner on first leg, Guschina, and her great opener secured a good lead. The 2nd fastest on paper was Kapachinskaya, and she was on 4th. However, the fastest split was run by Litvinova on 2nd, and she was their slowest runner on open times!

Guschina has not been selected for the 4x4 this season which is a mistake as she is brilliant on first leg. Assuming they perform to expectation in the individual, Krivoshapka, Kapachinskaya and Litvinova will be in the 4x4 too, so it's down to Firova, Nazarova and Antyukh to battle for a final place in the heats. But I'd much rather have Guschina on first then any of them. And what leg do they put Krivoshapka? First to get a good lead? 2nd to counter-act Felix? Last as she's the fastest? I just wouldnt want Kapachinskaya on last leg again - awful!

Leave a comment:

• T&F_LA
    replied
    Originally posted by Alexm
    Tula, august 1st-2nd..
    Ok !!! Tula has always been a meet with great times.

Leave a comment:

• 26mi235
    replied

While I really have to take the word of others on this, it seems that the Russian Zwomen produce results at their National Champs that are beyond what they do elsewhere in many instances. But at least someone else has marks starting with a 4 instead of a 5 now.

Leave a comment:

• TrainerPhil
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Alexm
    replied
    Originally posted by T&F_LA
    When is that?
    Tula, august 1st-2nd.

She may not run, or she may even do the 200m, but it's the last big test before Berlin for the Russian athletes.

Leave a comment:

• T&F_LA
    replied
    Originally posted by ChuiTai
    What would be the significance of running in another meet two weeks or so from the WC after having run such a spectacular set of rounds this past weekend?
    To break the WL ( 49.23), the Russian NR (49.11) or the 49 barrier? Why not? All three seem likely and would give her a lot of confidence for the WC.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X