Originally posted by nevetsllim
    I predict;

One American
    Williamses
    Two Russians
    TBO
    Grenot
    Montsho or Thiam
    My problem with Grenot is the fact that she has only gone sub 51 ONCE in a race that I have never seen and any race she has won, it hasn't been too impressive. In addition, I thought break 51 last year by the end of the season but she really didn't come through. It would be very silly to ignore her though

The women's 400m will be another 3 semi crap shoot that ultimately boils down to lanes (particularly in terms of lesser medals and final places). Is Thiam going to worlds? She wouldn't represent Senegal in Beijing, I doubt she'll do it in Berlin.

I'm saying 3 Russians
    2 Jamaicans
    SR
    leaving two slots....TBO, Sanders, Montsho, an American, Pyhyda battling it out.

To avoid disappointment, I'm not expecting Sanya to win.

I wouldn't be surprsied to see Pyhyda pull an Anja Rucker and go low 50, possibly sub 50 in Berlin. She has been threatening a breakthrough since last summer.

Leave a comment:

• nevetsllim
    replied
    Originally posted by Flumpy
    At least 1 of Montsho, Grenot or Thiam will be there I'm sure.

I wouldn't count out Hargrove either.

At the moment I have more confidence in Nicola than TBO (Although I should no by now NEVER to discount her).

I don't see 3 Russians making it.
    I agree - I think people are really under-estimating Grenot and even when Thiam isn't able to find much form, she's normally able to make the final.

I'm sure Kapachinskaya and Krivoshapka will make the final but Litvinova looks like semi-final fodder.

Leave a comment:

• Flumpy
    replied
    At least 1 of Montsho, Grenot or Thiam will be there I'm sure.

I wouldn't count out Hargrove either.

At the moment I have more confidence in Nicola than TBO (Although I should no by now NEVER to discount her).

I don't see 3 Russians making it.

Leave a comment:

• t_monk
    replied
    If TBO is fit, I say....

three Russians
    two British
    two Jamaicans
    one American

If TBO is not fit....

I seriously don't know who else will factor in.

Leave a comment:

• Speedfirst
    replied
    [quote=Powell]
    Originally posted by Speedfirst
    Originally posted by 3a
    Originally posted by Powell
    Originally posted by "guruof track":3v96nx8g
    The Russian women ALWAYS run fast at their Championship, when they run fast elsewhere I'll take notice.
    Which Russian 400 meter runners failed to produce internationally in recent years?
    Well in Osaka and Beijing, they didn't medal.
    They all had PRs in the Beijing final. Can't produce much more than that. :wink:
    Sure you can, get on the podium :wink:
    So which Russian was expected to get on the podium in Osaka or Beijing? None of them went into those meets with a sub-50 SB. They did as much as could have been expected.[/quote:3v96nx8g]

I never implied or said any of em were :roll: ....it was stated can't produce much more than that...again, sure you can, get on the podium.

Also the conversation with respect to this thread, is about getting on the podium and preferrably, top of the podium.

Leave a comment:

• nevetsllim
    replied
    I predict;

One American
    Williamses
    Two Russians
    TBO
    Grenot
    Montsho or Thiam

Leave a comment:

• jjimbojames
    replied
    Just like the Russians 'always' (not true, but hey ho) run slower outside their champs, one could also argue that Sanya 'always' runs fast in GP's but slower in major finals. Just like last year, when the Russian girls BETTERED their times in a major final, this might be the year where Sanya does too - certainly, it would seem her best shout to win Gold, what with being so dominant on the circuit and with TBO (best champs performer, currently) not being in her best shape. Think it should be a great event at the WCs - so many possibilities to consider! (I'll go with one USA, 2 Jams, 2 Brits, 2 Russians and one other for the final....)

Does seem to be a little 'over-zealousness' amongst some fans of late - me personally, I like lots of debate, without the personal comments, as I think they actually turn those of us on the fence off certain athletes.

Leave a comment:

• justblaze1011
    replied
    Originally posted by TrackDaddy
    Sanya is the best 400m runner in the world...bar none.

It is my belief that she will win in Berlin and do it comfortably.
    Yeah, she is ONE of the best in the world, as for her being the absolute best......thats still up in air until she wins some gold world and olympic medals.

She should break that this year tho....hopefully!!!

Oh as for the bar none comment.....I think Big O is the best in the world..she got the world and olympic golds to prove it.

Leave a comment:

• t_monk
    replied
    Originally posted by knite
    Don't they always run fast at their national champs?

IMO, The results from the 400m's on up is always a bit suspect.
    Their trials was never 2 weeks before the Championships.

Leave a comment:

• t_monk
    replied
    This was the top 400 times in the world, I took out all the times post and during the Olympics.

Anastasiya Kapachinskaya ran 50.03 at the actual Olympics, only 0.01 slower than her actual PB. I bolded all the Russian runner's fastest times.

49.83 A Amantle Montsho BOT 04/07/1983 1 Addis Ababa 02/05/2008
    49.83 Allyson Felix USA 18/11/1985 1 Doha 09/05/2008
    49.86 Sanya Richards 1 Athína (Olympic Stadium) 13/07/2008
    49.89 Sanya Richards 1 Eugene, OR 03/07/2008
    50.02 Anastasiya Kapachinskaya RUS 21/11/1979 1r3 Moskva 10/07/2008
    50.04 Sanya Richards 1 New York City, NY 31/05/2008
    50.05 Rosemarie Whyte JAM 08/09/1986 1 Kingston (NS), JAM 29/06/2008
    50.10 Sanya Richards 1 Eugene, OR 08/06/2008
    50.11 Novlene Williams JAM 26/04/1982 2 Kingston (NS), JAM 29/06/2008
    50.12 Yulia Gushchina 1 Kazan 18/07/2008
    50.20 Anastasiya Kapachinskaya 2 Kazan 18/07/2008
    50.25 Allyson Felix 1 Roma 11/07/2008
    50.25 Tatyana Firova 3 Kazan 18/07/2008
    50.30 Anastasiya Kapachinskaya 2sf2 Beijing (National Stadium) 17/08/2008
    50.32 Mary Wineberg USA 03/01/1980 2 Eugene, OR 08/06/2008
    50.33 Shericka Williams 3 Kingston (NS), JAM 29/06/2008
    50.33 Novlene Williams 1r2 Lausanne 02/09/2008
    50.34 Shericka Williams 3 Eugene, OR 08/06/2008

Leave a comment:

• knite
    replied
    Don't they always run fast at their national champs?

IMO, The results from the 400m's on up is always a bit suspect.

Leave a comment:

• Powell
    replied
    Originally posted by 3a
    Originally posted by Powell
    Originally posted by guruof track
    The Russian women ALWAYS run fast at their Championship, when they run fast elsewhere I'll take notice.
    Which Russian 400 meter runners failed to produce internationally in recent years?
    Well in Osaka and Beijing, they didn't medal.
    They all had PRs in the Beijing final. Can't produce much more than that. :wink:
    Sure you can, get on the podium :wink:
    So which Russian was expected to get on the podium in Osaka or Beijing? None of them went into those meets with a sub-50 SB. They did as much as could have been expected.

Leave a comment:

replied
    It has now so been stated and duly noted. Now let's move on and give her two weeks to prove it.

Leave a comment:

• TrackDaddy
    replied
    Sanya is the best 400m runner in the world...bar none.

It is my belief that she will win in Berlin and do it comfortably.

Leave a comment:

• t_monk
    replied
    4th, 5th and 6th with every athlete with a PB or SB in the last Olympics is not bombing in my opinion. The thought that people are attempting to disregard a 49.2x followed up by a 49.7 the very next day is ludacris in my mind. Especially 2 weeks from the World Championships. And again... especially when it comes from an athlete that was DOMINATING the indoors earlier this year.

She literally has the top 4 fastest indoor times this seasons:
    50.55 Antonina Krivoshapka RUS 21/07/1987 1 Moskva 15/02/2009
    50.56 Antonina Krivoshapka 1h5 Moskva 13/02/2009
    51.15 Antonina Krivoshapka 1 Stockholm 18/02/2009
    51.18 Antonina Krivoshapka 1 Torino 07/03/2009

You not seeing or hearing much from her since indoor could simply be as a result of the fact that she was simply resting and training for the majors. And with her trials pushed back so closely to the majors she could train specifically for this period.

No need for me to even mention the other Russian athletes because they have been tried and tested. I mean having a PB or a SB in an Olympic final is perfect timing in my opinion. If you lose like that then it simply means that everyone else ran a superior race, no shame in that at all!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X