X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jlt
    replied
    Originally posted by gh
    10 races at $5000 isn't a remotely wild number; at least not for somebody who can do the job effectively.
    Actually Garry that might have been the case some years back but is considerably in excess of what pacemakers are paid these days. Take for example the 1500, it's more likely these days to be $1500-2000 ($2500 would be a lot) for first pacemaker and $2000-2500 ($3000+ would be a lot) for second.

Leave a comment:

• no one
    replied
    rasp - I have enough info - and rather enjoyed the diversions - nature of 'the beast'

Leave a comment:

• K.I.R.
    replied
    Originally posted by SQUACKEE
    Should the rabbit get paid if they suck. I saw a rabbit in a woman's 1500 take them out in 70 followed by 67 and the idiot announcer was singing praises!
    Well, judging by leg turnover, she came through right on pace at 2:08.

Leave a comment:

• SQUACKEE
    replied
    Should the rabbit get paid if they suck. I saw a rabbit in a woman's 1500 take them out in 70 followed by 67 and the idiot announcer was singing praises!

Leave a comment:

• lonewolf
    replied
    I don' t know that I have ever eaten domestic rabbit. When I was a young buck on the reservation, we used to run down cottontails and (slow) jackrabbits and my mother would dress and fry them, just like a chicken. As I remember, they were perfectly palatible.

Leave a comment:

• rasb
    replied
    Originally posted by Pego
    Originally posted by lonewolf
    Purely personal, I prefer to eat dead cow than dead rabbit.
    Domesticated rabbits taste like an oversize chicken. So, what shall we have today? Steak or chicken, steak or chicken... :?.
    This thread is fun reading...Whatever happened to "tastes like chicken"?
    Hope the OP has enough info. to satisfy the original serious question...
    $ 5 dimes is the most I am aware of for a single "bunny hop"...

Leave a comment:

• Pego
    replied
    Domesticated rabbits taste like an oversize chicken. So, what shall we have today? Steak or chicken, steak or chicken... :?.

Leave a comment:

• lonewolf
    replied
    Originally posted by richxx87
    1 buck can service up to 10 does and they will produce double the amount of edible meat, over the course of a year, than the same number of cattle.
    As an old farm boy, I was taken aback by this statement but danged if it isn't about half true. ...Thus: 11 x 7 x 5 = 385 pounds rabbit meat (including bones) per doe.
    With a gestation period of 279-292 days, a cow can produce, normally, one calf per year. While marketed at live weight 1000 to 1200 pounds for steers, many barren heifers are marketed at 650-700 pounds. The average dressed carcass weight is 580 pounds (including bone), estimated 464 pounds beef per year per cow.
    Ah, but what you're not looking at is that hundreds of those rabbits produced will themselves be breeding within a month or so of birth. So everything on the rabbit side gets compounded exponentially.
    Rabbits don't mature to breeding age in a month but you have a point about the compounding. However, if those rabbits are allowed to mature and reproduce you will not have 385 pounds of meat per doe in a year.

Compounding, at a much slower rate, would also apply to cattle..and it would take some serious rabbiting to equal the product of a bull used for artificial insemination.

Leave a comment:

• Zat0pek
    replied
    Originally posted by rasb
    Originally posted by gh
    10 races at $5000 isn't a remotely wild number; at least not for somebody who can do the job effectively.
    Agreed. The interesting thing is that if you do the job well in the first couple of races, the word spreads between the Meet Directors very quickly, and you become a "rabbit in demand", perhaps even more so than a single buck, when the gals are warmed up.....tee-hee...
    He'd rabbit about 15 races +/- a season at all levels, foreign and domestic. A routine race for him was usually $1500-$2500, but could be a lot more for the really big meets and high-profile record attempts. Record bonuses could be very lucrative, especially at the bigger meets.

He was in demand because he was like a metronome. He was respected and well taken care of by both athletes and meet directors. And he was durable, thanks in large part to his pharmacist.

Leave a comment:

• dj
    replied
    Originally posted by gh
    Throw in WR bonus money, and there might be a race or two where the payout was greater than $5k.

Leave a comment:

• rasb
    replied
    Originally posted by gh
    Agreed. The interesting thing is that if you do the job well in the first couple of races, the word spreads between the Meet Directors very quickly, and you become a "rabbit in demand", perhaps even more so than a single buck, when the gals are warmed up.....tee-hee...

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied

Leave a comment:

• wineturtle
    replied
    Originally posted by Zat0pek
    Originally posted by gh
    I'd say there's a dearth of "reasonable answers" because nobody who is posting here has any facts for you. I haven't the vaguest.
    I knew one guy "back in the day" who made about $50,000 each summer. An excellent rabbit.

He was also steroided to the gills because they don't test rabbits.

He'd go on the juice in the spring to be able to rabbit more frequently and thus earn more money. He'd go off the juice as soon as he returned home, then stay off until the spring when the whole cycle started all over again.

He said it was the best summer job anybody could imagine.
    Can you estimate per race
    10 races @5000?
    17 @ 3000?
    [email protected]

Or fee = 5 th place prize? 6-7-8th?

Leave a comment:

• richxx87
    replied
    1 buck can service up to 10 does and they will produce double the amount of edible meat, over the course of a year, than the same number of cattle.
    As an old farm boy, I was taken aback by this statement but danged if it isn't about half true. ...Thus: 11 x 7 x 5 = 385 pounds rabbit meat (including bones) per doe.
    With a gestation period of 279-292 days, a cow can produce, normally, one calf per year. While marketed at live weight 1000 to 1200 pounds for steers, many barren heifers are marketed at 650-700 pounds. The average dressed carcass weight is 580 pounds (including bone), estimated 464 pounds beef per year per cow.
    Ah, but what you're not looking at is that hundreds of those rabbits produced will themselves be breeding within a month or so of birth. So everything on the rabbit side gets compounded exponentially.

Leave a comment:

• Speedfirst
    replied
    Originally posted by Zat0pek
    Originally posted by Speedfirst
    I'm not skeptical of what you post, I'm skeptical of the $50,000
    No need to be. I wouldn't have posted it if I didn't know it to be true.
    Okay :wink:

Leave a comment:

Working...
X