Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• British team for Berlin

MEN
    100m: Dwain Chambers (Belgrave); Tyrone Edgar (Newham & Essex Beagles); Simeon Williamson (Highgate)

200m: Chambers; Marlon Devonish (Coventry Godiva) Toby Sandeman (Thames Valley);

400m: Michael Bingham (Trafford) Martyn Rooney (Croydon), Robert Tobin (Basingstoke & Mid Hants);

800m: Michael Rimmer (Liverpool Pembroke & Sefton);

1500m: Andy Baddeley (Harrow), Tom Lancashire (Bolton);

5000m: Mo Farah (Newham & Essex Beagles)

110mH: Gianni Frankis (Newham & Essex Beagles), Andy Turner (Sale)

400mH: David Greene (Swansea), Rhys Williams (Cardiff)

4x100m: Harry Akines–Aryeetey (Sutton & District), Devonish, Edgar, Rikki Fifton (Victoria Park & Tower Hamlets), Craig Pickering (Marshall Milton Keynes), Williamson

4x400m: Bingham, Chris Clarke (Marshall Milton Keynes), Nigel Levine (Bedford & County), Rooney, Tobin, Conrad Williams (Kent)

High Jump: Germaine Mason (Birchfield)

Pole Vault: Luke Cutts (Dearnside), Steve Lewis (Newham & Essex Beagles)

Long Jump: Greg Rutherford (Marshall Milton Keynes), Chris Tomlinson (Newham & Essex Beagles);

Triple Jump: Larry Achike (Shaftesbury) Nathan Douglas (Oxford), Phillips Idowu (Belgrave);

Shot: Carl Myerscough (Blackpool, Wyre &Fylde)

Javelin: Mervyn Luckwell (Marshall Milton Keynes);

WOMEN

200m: Emily Freeman (Wakefield)

400m: Christine Ohuruogu (Newham & Essex Beagles), Nicola Sanders (Windsor, Slough, Eton & Hounslow)

800m: Jenny Meadows (Wigan), Marilyn Okoro (Shaftesbury), Jemma Simpson (Newquay & Par);

1500m: Lisa Dobriskey (Ashford), Charlene Thomas (Wakefield), Stephanie Twell (Aldershot, Farnham & District);

3000mSC: Helen Clitheroe (Preston);

Marathon: Paula Radcliffe (Bedford & County)

20k Race Walk: Joanna Jackson (Redcar)

100mH: Sarah Claxton (Woodford Green & Essex Ladies), Jessica Ennis (City of Sheffield),

400mH: Eilidh Child (Pitreavie), Perri Shakes- Drayton (Victoria Park & Tower Hamlets);

Pole Vault: Kate Dennison (Sale);

Javelin: Goldie Sayers (Belgrave);

Hammer: Zoe Derham (Birchfield)

Heptathlon: Ennis; Louise Hazel (Birchfield)

4x100m: Emma Ania (Shaftesbruy Barnet), Montell Douglas (Blackheath & Bromley), Jeanette Kwakye (Woodford Green & Essex Ladies), Joice Maduaka (Woodford Green & Essex Ladies), Anyika Onuora (Liverpool), Laura Turner (Harrow AC)

4x400m: Vicky Barr (Rugby & Northampton), Lee McConnell (Shaftesbury Barnet), Ohuruogu, Okoro, Sanders, Shakes- Drayton

Poor Hannah
    http://twitter.com/Trackside2011

Comment

Poor Hannah England World A Standard in 800m and 1500m and still not enough, she'll probably win Monoco now in sub 4:04 just to show them!!

I notice Lee McConnell has not been selected in the 400m individual which is a suprise if you look at other athletes returning from injury, I suspect they have talked her into saving herself for the 4x400 as its one of the few meadle chances??

No one even with the B Standards in the womens 100m as well... very bad for the girls!!! but i did think who on earth would they send... I might have given Emma Ania a chance this time, having been robbed by Laura Turner in 2008.

Really please for Luke Cotts and Louise Hazel!!

Comment

I really do feel for Hannah England but I can appreciate the decision that UKA had to make. Despite amazing achievments this year Steph Twell's age Junior Titles and thoughts to 2012 mean she has been selected her 4:03 was very impressive. Lisa had to go 4th Olympics! Had Charlene been 2nd in the trials Hannah would be on the way.

Hannah needs to show now she can run 4:02-4:05 range and confirm her place in the European Team. By 2012 i suspect Twell will be running 5000m!

Comment

Originally posted by pauluk63
          I notice Lee McConnell has not been selected in the 400m individual which is a suprise if you look at other athletes returning from injury, I suspect they have talked her into saving herself for the 4x400 as its one of the few meadle chances??

No one even with the B Standards in the womens 100m as well... very bad for the girls!!! but i did think who on earth would they send... I might have given Emma Ania a chance this time, having been robbed by Laura Turner in 2008.
          re Lee - I think I read somewhere that she may have been focusing on that, given the injury issues - she was gutted to miss out in Beijing. Would have given her a chance to get an extra run out by entering her though

Also think you're right re Ania - they may as well have put one in, given that they're there anyway

Comment

Well if I was Lee I may be thinking the same thing a meadle in Berlin or another Semi at the Worlds. She can at least prepare for the Commonwealths and Europeans as well then where she has final chances!

Emma Ania i'm not saying she is a potential sub 11 BUT she does get snubbed, she was 1 hundreth away from Europes number 1 and had she been five years younger would have been in the Olympics and the Worlds. She just deserved that break I felt! WIth Maduaka unable to step up time wise, Douglas, Kwake and Nelson seemingly injured. Turner unable to prove herself on the big stage why not see if Ania has it!? Ania may well do an Ottey/Christie and peak into her 30s why not?!

Comment

After doing her duty and doubling up in Leiria she get's snubbed for Berlin....it was obviously tough for the selectors but still, why not put Twell in the 5k as some suggested and England in the 1500, at least they all get to go :cry:

Lee would do well to focus on the relay. If, and it's a big if, Ohuruogu and Sanders can run well in the individual, we'll need a good run from Lee and Shakes-Drayton to even have a sniff at bronze. It'll be more likely 4th place, but Lee does run great relay legs and we'll need another from her. I still would rather have Ennis or Freeman as the 4th though! (and not Ennis in the 100h)

Comment

The omission of Chambers from the 4x1 is disgusting.

And before anybody parrots that ludicrous "explanation" that they're building a team for 2012, will Marlon Devonish be competing in London at the age of 36 years old?

Comment

I just think that England wasn't doing herself any favours by running the 1500m because unless she ran faster than Twell, I think the selectors were always going to choose Lisa and Steph.

On reflection I wouldn't have minded if Twell was picked for the 5000m because there's probably some justification in saying that she could stand more chance if making the Berlin 5000m final because even though I expect the 1500m final to be quick because of a lot of committed front-runners in the race, she could easily get caught up in a 4:10 heat, and might get outsprinted. Besides,if Megan Metcalfe can make the Olympic 5000m final, I'm sure Steph can do the same!

Comment

Originally posted by nevetsllim
                    I just think that England wasn't doing herself any favours by running the 1500m because unless she ran faster than Twell, I think the selectors were always going to choose Lisa and Steph.

On reflection I wouldn't have minded if Twell was picked for the 5000m because there's probably some justification in saying that she could stand more chance if making the Berlin 5000m final because even though I expect the 1500m final to be quick because of a lot of committed front-runners in the race, she could easily get caught up in a 4:10 heat, and might get outsprinted. Besides,if Megan Metcalfe can make the Olympic 5000m final, I'm sure Steph can do the same!
                    But why would Twell do the 5000 this year when her focus is the 1500 for now, just because that would give England a spot. the reality is when Defar and Dibaba line up and run sub 14:30 twell is gonna be almost a minute off pace... what experience is that for now.

So far she has a 4:03 in the 1500 and has run two bad tactical races, BUT has both times been desperate for the pace to be pushed which it will in the champs, she has a much better shot here of doing something that the 5k (not winning but top 8 for sure). I do not see the argument stick her in the 5k cause she'll end up doing that anyway when she wants to do and rightly so on times and form 1500s now. England has only beaten her once!

NB: I really do feel for England she could have done no more and in so many ways deserves the place but i must advocate for Twell!!

Comment

I'm happy that Twell is in the 1500m team but I don't think it would have been too catastrophic if she was named in the 5000m though. She could have made the final (there isn't too much behind the leading Kenyans and Ethiopians at all) and at least she would have the experience of how to acquit herself in the rounds.

Comment

Originally posted by dakota
                        And before anybody parrots that ludicrous "explanation" that they're building a team for 2012, will Marlon Devonish be competing in London at the age of 36 years old?
                        I think recent times have shown some folks can be strong sprinters in their mid-thirties. A mature sprinter could be a strong asset on an Olympic relay squad.

Comment

Originally posted by pauluk63
                          Originally posted by nevetsllim
                          But why would Twell do the 5000 this year when her focus is the 1500 for now, just because that would give England a spot. the reality is when Defar and Dibaba line up and run sub 14:30 twell is gonna be almost a minute off pace... what experience is that for now.
                          In the past, UKA has selected athletes in their secondary events in order to give as many people a chance of gaining championship experience. For the 2006 Europeans, Marilyn Okoro was selected in the 400m despite running 1:59.75 for 800m. And they chose Lee McConnell for the 400m at the 2007 WCh and 2007 Euro Cup, despite competing in the 400m hurdles all year in all of her other races.

Obviously it's not ideal to select athletes in their secondary events, but I think there is definitely a place for it and this is one of those situations. England showed at the ETC that she performs well in a British vest. She has improved since missing out on selection last year, and she beat Twell at Crystal Palace.

Had Twell been entered for the 5000m, yes she would be out-sprinted and yes she would finish nowhere near the medals, but the same will probably apply to her in the 1500m too. And it would have still been a learning experience - especially if she is looking to move up in distance in future. Maybe it would have woken her up to the fact that she needs to work on her endurance and/or last-lap speed. Or maybe she'd have decided that the longer distances aren't for her and that she'll stick with the shorter stuff for the next few years. I don't know. But I think unless you're sacrificing a potential medallist (which, talented as she is, Twell doesn't yet have such status), then why not try to keep every happy by fitting them into events in which they have also qualified.

Interesting observation into the standards of the NCAA-vs-British middle distance running: it's bizarre to think that someone wins the 2008 NCAA indoor mile title, then wins the outdoor NCAA 1500m title in a competition record time, but misses out on selection for the Olympics. The next year she improves and yet still fails to get selected to represent her country!

As an aside, I've just noticed that this is the first British team in approximately 64 years that does not include Donna Fraser in the 4x400m :shock:

Comment

i'm in 2 minds about the 1500 debacle

other observations

dwain in 200m ?? over 2 people who are faster this year !?!?

if tom parsons had come top 8 in a track event last year he would have been selected no matter what form he's shown this year especially as the a standart is so ridiculous

no women in 100 ?? ok they are all crap this year but they're there anyway :?

w100relay anyika onora :shock:
                            i deserve extra credit

Comment

Jon, joking aside, I do believe Donna has finally hung up her spikes. Though I've seen no mention of it written anywhere, at CP on Saturday Katherine Merry made a retirement presentation to Danny Crates, and I think I heard her say to the crowd it was sad having done Donna's the day before as well

Not sure if anyone was at CP on Friday night and can confirm :?:

Comment

Working...
                              X