• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cyril
    replied
    Re: bekele unique triple

Epelle-

All we have to do is look at the two most dominant athletes in middle/long distance running over the past decade . These guys set new standards not only in bringing their respective events to a new level but in their longevity at the highest levels of competition.

Look at their frequency of racing, how they choose their races - very smart. Every race, every season has purpose. Everything is planned to a "t". In four year cycles and beyond.

If an athlete wants longevity in sport and wants to perform at their best when it is best to do so they need only look to El G and Geb.

Leave a comment:

• dl
    replied

Trackhead—No chance for the Triple Crown next year. No World Indoors. The next will be in 2006 in Moscow (Russia, not Idaho).

Leave a comment:

• EPelle
    replied

Cyril I agree with you about young athletes racing too often. Look at Morceli, for example. He chased WR after WR from the time he was good to the times that made him great. He had no zip in his legs by his mid- to late-20s.

Patience will help these athletes prevail. If it is an economical choice which moves them to the racing scene more often than they would like, perhaps they should chose venues which offer huge incentives for fast racing and WR bonuses.

Leave a comment:

• Cyril
    replied

While it would have been interesting to see how he would have done, this is a smart move.

Even the best know that too much racing isn't a good thing. I'm actually surprised that in an olympic year he is still defending his double.

Who else is in the 5? Is Geb running? If he is (or any other sub 13 talent) this likely played into Bekele's decision.

Leave a comment:

• trackhead
    replied

I think he'll get the Triple Crown in 2005.

Leave a comment:

• EPelle
    replied

Not happening this year.

"Yet the campaign for the triple crown is for the future. This winter Bekele does not want to jeopardise his campaign in Brussels for the defence of at least one of his World Cross Country titles by trying to do too much racing indoors."

IAAF

Leave a comment:

• Cyril
    replied

>yes he won both last year, but i said unique because it will be a week after
    >indoors, he is combining indoor track and cross country at the same time.
    >usually runners do one or the other not both at the same time. in high school
    >and college they are separate seasons.

Its not like he's trying to win the world figure skating champs and come back and win the World Power Lifting champs. While indoors and cross are different they are still running - and his preparation for the world xc is the same he would be doing for the indoor 5.

If he's in shape, he's in shape - indoors outdoors or on the moon.

Leave a comment:

• doug b
    replied

yes he won both last year, but i said unique because it will be a week after indoors, he is combining indoor track and cross country at the same time. usually runners do one or the other not both at the same time. in high school and college they are separate seasons.

Leave a comment:

• Jon
    replied

>and then run both the short 4k and long 12k at the
    >world cross country, a unique double.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't he win both of these events (4km and 12km) at last year's World Cross Country champs? (and hence making it not so unique...?)

Leave a comment:

• Cyril
    replied

If he thinks he can do it, he will most likely pull it off. Where would you bet against him? He and his mentor operate on a different level. The 5k will workout the bugs for the 4k which will be a nice tuneup for the 12 -all are good training to prepare the Athens.

Leave a comment:

• russvault
    replied

Doug, I need to talk to you about trracks and if you can bid ours.
    russ buller
    337-540-7732

Leave a comment:

• 5k Guy
    replied

I would be very impressed if Bekele could complete the 4k and 12k double at the World Cross Country Championships. Given the level of the competition this double may mot be possible any longer.

We'll see.

Leave a comment:

• doug b
    started a topic bekele unique triple

bekele unique triple

i saw yesterday on the iaaf site that bekele wants to run the world indoor championship in budapest and then run both the short 4k and long 12k at the world cross country, a unique double. his 12;49 5k indoors indicates he may be able to pull it off, it will be very intesting.
Working...
X