Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by trackdug
    That's interesting. The 14th fastest performer yet ranked 8th. Explain that...
    One race does not make a ranking. If you perform consistently significantly faster and may even win head-to-head, but miss a meet that has "perfect" conditions, that does not mean you get a lower ranking.

Example--Lolo was the #1 100mh in 2008. She didn't win the Olympics or even medal or final.

Comment

This is an easy challenge to tackle. If the 14th fastest performer beat any number of performers ahead of him on 1 or more occasions --- particularly in meaningful competitions, he'd have a better chance of being ranked higher than those who had run faster but had accumulated lower hardware by similar comparison.
      Fire Impossible.

Comment

Its like Xavier Carter having the #2 time in 2004 and being ranked #1 in the 400. It was the same thing with the 200 with Xavier that year.

His NSIC performance was a big reason for him being ranked high and his second place finish at the Texas State Meet. 4 people ranked faster performances than him were inconsistent and had no other marks to accompany those marks.

Its not that difficult.

Sorta like Kerron Clement being the #1 ranked hurdler last year even when he didnt when the gold medal or have the WL time.

I think I'm making to much sense for you though.

Comment

• Haha. Ok. Damn...I'll give you that one.

:roll:

Comment

• Originally posted by Jerome Marrow
            because your argument is making no damn sense since Baylor is a joke of a school for football.
            I don't think this is going to be the case in the upcoming years, and Griffin should play a big role in that.

Comment

• I'd be surprised if Baylor finishes better than 4th in the Big 12 South.

They arent beating UT, OU, or OSU anytime soon. Griffin or no Griffin.

Comment

• Originally posted by guruof track
                Trackdug is trying to make a case (and TD is sadly backing this joker up ) that Baylor track had no intentions on using Griffin or Gettis at track when each was the #1 rank and recruited 400ih and 400 meter runners (respectively). Track WAS a BIG part of the reason they came to Baylor in the first place........not to mention their Baylor success at the events in which these guys ran.
                While track may have been a big part of the reason Gettis came to Baylor (I don't agree with this being the case for Griffin), make no mistake that football was his top priority. IMO, he never did even give himself a fair shot at succeeding in track while at Baylor. So, in my mind, it doesn't much matter that he wanted to run track at Baylor, as football was always the #1 priority. As for Griffin, I believe he mainly came to Baylor because of Art Briles, and I think all the other reasons weren't even close. As you say, Briles was willing to fulfill the criteria you put up, but allowing him to play QB was the MAIN reason he chose Baylor. I'm not saying track wasn't important, but IMO, it wasn't even close in comparison to the first reason.

Comment

I'd be surprised if Baylor finishes better than 4th in the Big 12 South.

They arent beating UT, OU, or OSU anytime soon. Griffin or no Griffin.
                  You may very well be correct, but he said they were a joke. I'm not claiming they will be in the hunt for a conference championship year in and year out, just that they are no longer a joke. Trust me, teams aren't excited about playing Baylor anymore. Also, you may want to take OSU off that list. Don't be surprised if Baylor beats them in the near future, possibly this year. I also feel they will win a game against OU or UT within the next 5 years.

Comment

• [quote=Who_Cares]
                    Originally posted by "guruof track":24q2ae4h
                    Trackdug is trying to make a case (and TD is sadly backing this joker up ) that Baylor track had no intentions on using Griffin or Gettis at track when each was the #1 rank and recruited 400ih and 400 meter runners (respectively). Track WAS a BIG part of the reason they came to Baylor in the first place........not to mention their Baylor success at the events in which these guys ran.
                    While track may have been a big part of the reason Gettis came to Baylor (I don't agree with this being the case for Griffin), make no mistake that football was his top priority. IMO, he never did even give himself a fair shot at succeeding in track while at Baylor. So, in my mind, it doesn't much matter that he wanted to run track at Baylor, as football was always the #1 priority. As for Griffin, I believe he mainly came to Baylor because of Art Briles, and I think all the other reasons weren't even close. As you say, Briles was willing to fulfill the criteria you put up, but allowing him to play QB was the MAIN reason he chose Baylor. I'm not saying track wasn't important, but IMO, it wasn't even close in comparison to the first reason.[/quote:24q2ae4h]

No doubt Art Briles was the key to Griffin going to Baylor. Art Briles had him going U of H, so no doubt Art Briles was the key.

As far as Gettis, he gained almost 30 pounds in one year and on top of that he got injured. He dould barely run 48low. But the injury had more to do it than the weight.

Whatever the reasons my be, trackdug's arguement can't be taken serious if he uses X-Man (who was on a football scholarship) but we cant use Baylor athletes who run track (who were #1 rank track athletes). And he also uses Bryshon Nellums who hasnt even ran a full collegiate race AND got shot mutliple times in the leg.

Whats more amazing is he has people defending his ridiculous statement. :?

Comment

• Originally posted by Jerome Marrow
                      The argument is Baylor gets the top talent and even with it, many (perhaps the majority of their athletes?) fall through the cracks and fail to get better.
                      I also don't think this is a fair assessment. I'm not going to argue that Baylor doesn't get top talent (because I know they do), but not many of them fall through the cracks as you say. Let's look at guru's list:

Bayano Kamani (multiple individual national champion)
                      Brandon Couts (multiple national champion, improved over a second)
                      Floyd Thompson (multiple national champion, primarily ran 800m instead of 400m)
                      Michael Smith (individual NC runner up, qualified for finals for 400h every year)
                      Zsolt Szeglet (national champion, and improved by about .4 in the 400m)
                      Darold Williamson (multiple national champion, improved by almost 2 seconds)
                      Jeremy Wariner (national champion, US champion, Olympic champion, school record holder)
                      William Fitts (ran on national champion 4x4, improved 800m time by 2.5 seconds)
                      Dwight Ruff (ran only one year at Baylor, then transferred to Florida)
                      Reggie Witherspoon (National champion and Olympian)
                      Mark Teter (never improved at Baylor, ran on NC 4x4)
                      JT Schuerman (Has yet to improve at Baylor)
                      Trey Harts (individual NC as well as 4x4NC champion)
                      Lejerald Betters (individual runner up. multiple 4x4 NC. Improved over 1.5s)
                      Quentin Summers (multiple 4x4 NC, improved about 1 sec.)
                      David Gettis (Quit running track to play football)
                      Robert Griffin (in one year of track placed 3rd in 400h)
                      Marcus Boyd (multiple 4x4 NC, improved over 1s in 1st year)
                      Justin Boyd (improved time almost 1s in one year. member of NC 4x4)

So, looking at that list, I think Baylor has done pretty well.

Comment

• [quote=guruof track][quote="Who_Cares":2f8sssah]
                        Originally posted by "guruof track":2f8sssah
                        While track may have been a big part of the reason Gettis came to Baylor (I don't agree with this being the case for Griffin), make no mistake that football was his top priority. IMO, he never did even give himself a fair shot at succeeding in track while at Baylor. So, in my mind, it doesn't much matter that he wanted to run track at Baylor, as football was always the #1 priority. As for Griffin, I believe he mainly came to Baylor because of Art Briles, and I think all the other reasons weren't even close. As you say, Briles was willing to fulfill the criteria you put up, but allowing him to play QB was the MAIN reason he chose Baylor. I'm not saying track wasn't important, but IMO, it wasn't even close in comparison to the first reason.[/quote:2f8sssah]

No doubt Art Briles was the key to Griffin going to Baylor. Art Briles had him going U of H, so no doubt Art Briles was the key.

As far as Gettis, he gained almost 30 pounds in one year and on top of that he got injured. He dould barely run 48low. But the injury had more to do it than the weight.

Whatever the reasons my be, trackdug's arguement can't be taken serious if he uses X-Man (who was on a football scholarship) but we cant use Baylor athletes who run track (who were #1 rank track athletes). And he also uses Bryshon Nellums who hasnt even ran a full collegiate race AND got shot mutliple times in the leg.

Whats more amazing is he has people defending his ridiculous statement. :?[/quote:2f8sssah]

You must be a complete moron. I said the guy was recruited to USC for track. It makes no difference if he got shot, quit and started waiting tables, or died of a heart attack. He was a top recruit -- THE TOP RECRUIT -- and he didn't got to Baylor. You said name another school who consistently gets better recruits than Baylor, I said USC because they got the #1 recruits in both 2007 and 2008. Follow along and improve your reading comprehension. Idiot.

Comment

• You win trackdug.............congratulations.

Comment

You win trackdug.............congratulations.

You said it, I didnt. :lol:
                            The fool has said...there is no God. Psa 14

Comment

Working...
                            X